Reload this Page >

info on moving to cyprus please

info on moving to cyprus please

Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:21 am
nice people

shaun&sue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default info on moving to cyprus please

Hello

we are a couple from the UK who were going to relocate to spain but are now seriously contemplating moving to Cyprus instead after hearing goog reports,and more bad reports about life for expats in spain.

can anyone out there give us ther opinions on this. We are looking at the Limassol area of cyprus

many thanks

shaun and sue
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of
Default Re: info on moving to cyprus please

Originally Posted by shaun&sue
Hello

we are a couple from the UK who were going to relocate to spain but are now seriously contemplating moving to Cyprus instead after hearing goog reports,and more bad reports about life for expats in spain.

can anyone out there give us ther opinions on this. We are looking at the Limassol area of cyprus

many thanks

shaun and sue
Hi,
My father in law moved to cyprus two years ago, they live in pathos and they rate it quite highly. They had a place built for them by a local builder prior to moving, and although it's a lovely place, they are now thinking of moving somewhere else.

He is a huge film buff, so enjoys UK Tv particularly sky, he also enjoys film and antique fairs...He found that in order to get UK TV, he had to purchase a satellite (Massive one) for about £1500, There are also no fairs for him to visit, so his normal UK life has vanished. However they both volunteered for various things, and now have a very good cypriot friend base, so their interests have changed.

The obvious benefits of living in the sun have changed their lives dramatically, they enjoy cyprus for everything that it offers. The only drawback is flying back to visit family and friends, as sometimes it is rather expensive, and vice versa. Myself and my family have visited cyprus on numerous occassions, and to be honest with you we are a bit fed up with the restriction that the island offers, we tend to go for two reasons to visit them and to holiday, and if you do tend to go to the same place all the time it does become tiresome.

Sorry I can't offer you more.
regards
frankieforehead
Old Mar 11th 2005, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

DerekM is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=shaun&sue]Hello

Hello Shaun&Sue
It depends on what your plans are in Cyprus, we bought a place in Limassol 10 years ago ready for our retirement. We visit quite regularly and have many Cypriot friends there. They are very welcoming and visit us in the Uk. We think its wonderful but if you are looking to work out there it could be difficult unless you are in business or sought after skill. Cypriots are very well educated and parents send them to university in Uk or Greece at great expense. There are shotages of tradesmen but pay is comparatively low. It will be better now that Cyprus is in the EU of course.
The quality of accommodation can be excellent, the cost of living is lower than the UK and the weather is of course wonderful except for a few weeks in the summer when you get the high humidity, down to the beach!! or up the mountains which are 45 minutes from Limassol. The political situation is somewhat improved and the border is crossed both ways now to EU citizens. Pressure is being brought to bear on a full time lasting solution between the two sides and hopefully should soon bring some resolution equable to both sides. There is no risk in the situation as I see it.
If you have specific questions PM me and I will do my best to answer them or point you in the right direction.
Derek
Old Mar 24th 2005, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

We are selling our property in Cyprus as we are relocating due to my job.
You could try looking at the MSN Cyprus property owners site, This forum will give you an idea of the day to day frustrations and enjoyment from living in Cyprus.

We lived in Larnaca, Paphos and Limmassol have a large british expat community who are mostly retired.

It is very true that wages are very low and will remain so for some time even though Cyprus joined the EU things are not likely to change for some time. You will have to consider this if you need to work.
The cost of living is not as cheap as in recent years, yes you will benefit from lower utility bills as most of your time is spent outdoors.

If you have children private english school education is expensive, if they are young then state school is free and all lessons are in greek which will give them a good start in a foreign country.

You also need medical insurance and life cover, if you are not a Cypriot get a good english speaking lawer to sort out a will also.

Ensure when buying property that the title deeds are available, many people buy property only to discover that they do not have title deeds, the builder may owe money to the bank and your property will be repossed or the builder may sell the land again.

Cyprus is a lovely place to live if you do your homework.

If you need any more advice or recommendations then PM me.

Di
Old Mar 25th 2005, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All ,
Just of interest, do you think the greek cypriots will ever get tired of the brit invasion ?
Always think it is a pity cyprus isn't cheaper to get to, lovely place spent a few years there at school.
cheers
Jerry
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

House prices have taken a massive hike in the Republic of Cyprus (South) over recent years, almost tied to the UK market.

I would suggest perhaps you take a look at Northern Cyprus - Kyrenia is IMHO the best place on the Island, with fantastic views of the mountains, some fairy tale castles up there as well. The North is still relatively unspoilt and feels like a world away from the south, I think the people are friendlier too. House prices are much cheaper, several reputable companies working there too, but same constraints apply in the North as what others have said about the South - probably more so "unrecognised" as it is by all the world except Turkey.

I think sooner rather than later the island will be reunified - with the borders now open they are stepping in the right direction - at which time house prices in the North will shoot up to match those in the South....I'd recommend going over to the North for anyone visiting the South, its simple to do and a great contrast to the hustle and bustle of Limassol, Ayia Napa etc.

Having lived in Limassol for 3 years previously, I don't think I'd like to live there permanently - yes, it has the big Brit infrastructure, but when you live anywhere for a while you soon get fed up with the red faced, football shirted, boozy, cursing, whining low end package tourists doing their level best to destroy any decent relationship you've developed with the local folk

Last edited by Dan725; Apr 1st 2005 at 9:12 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dan725
House prices have taken a massive hike in the Republic of Cyprus (South) over recent years, almost tied to the UK market.

I would suggest perhaps you take a look at Northern Cyprus - Kyrenia is IMHO the best place on the Island, with fantastic views of the mountains, some fairy tale castles up there as well. The North is still relatively unspoilt and feels like a world away from the south, I think the people are friendlier too. House prices are much cheaper, several reputable companies working there too, but same constraints apply in the North as what others have said about the South - probably more so "unrecognised" as it is by all the world except Turkey.

I think sooner rather than later the island will be reunified - with the borders now open they are stepping in the right direction - at which time house prices in the North will shoot up to match those in the South....I'd recommend going over to the North for anyone visiting the South, its simple to do and a great contrast to the hustle and bustle of Limassol, Ayia Napa etc.

Having lived in Limassol for 3 years previously, I don't think I'd like to live there permanently - yes, it has the big Brit infrastructure, but when you live anywhere for a while you soon get fed up with the red faced, football shirted, boozy, cursing, whining low end package tourists doing their level best to destroy any decent relationship you've developed with the local folk
North Cyprus is such a big risk!! Read the case of the Orams in the cyprus weekly as they are due to lose everything, they thought they had used a registered developer and now the cypriots want and will get their land back.
The northern part of Cyprus is still under illegal occupation and is not recognised. The EU allows EU citizens free movement, If there is ever a just settlement you can bet the greeks will want their land back just as the turks will claim parts of the south.

Di
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harveyhare
The EU allows EU citizens free movement, If there is ever a just settlement you can bet the greeks will want their land back just as the turks will claim parts of the south.

Di
True, so you could say ALL of Cyprus is a risk.....no doubt there will be huge wranglings over land come settlement day - no matter where your house was built. I think you can get a better deal in the North, but as I said originally, you just have to be doubly sure of who you are dealing with and how you go about it.
Old Apr 13th 2005, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Nats is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't move to Nicosia! I've lived here for a year and three months now & hate it. I've not met any other British people living here, and the only UK TV channel we can get is BBC Prime. Wages are really low and job mobility is zero if you are not Cypriot. EU legislation has not been properly implemented yet so you encounter all kinds of discrimination when trying to open a bank account for example, or set up a mobile phone account. Also flights back home are expensive and the flight time is long. If I were you I'd go somewhere else instead to be honest....
Old Apr 13th 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nats
Don't move to Nicosia! I've lived here for a year and three months now & hate it. I've not met any other British people living here, and the only UK TV channel we can get is BBC Prime. Wages are really low and job mobility is zero if you are not Cypriot. EU legislation has not been properly implemented yet so you encounter all kinds of discrimination when trying to open a bank account for example, or set up a mobile phone account. Also flights back home are expensive and the flight time is long. If I were you I'd go somewhere else instead to be honest....
I'd agree with that as well....if you have to work, Cyprus isn't the place, it's more for retiring....
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

brendamac is an unknown quantity at this point

We are a couple from Scotland who are thinking of moving to Cyprus. Husband will be retaining job in Scotland (rota system) and we are wondering how easy it
is to fly in and out of Cyprus (probably North). Wife has secretarial skills (but have read reports that it will not be easy to get a job in this field). Are there any Scots out there you would be willing to give us info. We don't particularly want to end up surrounded by retired ex-Pats - is there much of a younger ex-Pat community. We hope to go out July or August for a week to look around and perhaps rent before deciding. There are a lot of developers in Northern Cyprus - but who can we trust? Any help would be appreciated. Regards Brenda
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

brendamac is an unknown quantity at this point

Shaun & Sue - Did you end up moving - can you share any info you gleaned if you didn't. Regards Brenda

Originally Posted by shaun&sue
Hello

many thanks

shaun and sue
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

USimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant futureUSimmigrant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brendamac
Shaun & Sue - Did you end up moving - can you share any info you gleaned if you didn't. Regards Brenda
From all aspects i wouldn't advice u to live in cyprus. That means in the northern side where turks live or in the south where greeks take power. Both parties are very nationalist and won't allow other people from other countries to get jobs and also sometimes u can get discriminated.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by USimmigrant
From all aspects i wouldn't advice u to live in cyprus. That means in the northern side where turks live or in the south where greeks take power. Both parties are very nationalist and won't allow other people from other countries to get jobs and also sometimes u can get discriminated.
I'd agree - it's more of a place to retire. Now the South is in the EU, however, there is nothing to stop a foreign EU member getting a job, however, unless you were to go on an inter company transfer, I wouldn't rate your chances of getting a decent job for the time being. But may be worth a shot if you speak fluent Greek.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Sami De is an unknown quantity at this point

www.proactpartnership.com

i used this website when moving to cyprus and it had all the information i needed, if you go uninformed you may encounter some problems, but if your informed you wont.