Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

How Do I Get A Job in Cyprus While Living In UK ?

How Do I Get A Job in Cyprus While Living In UK ?

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 12:03 am
Just Joined

CyprusExpat18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy How Do I Get A Job in Cyprus While Living In UK ?

I have been trying for many months to get an accountancy or finance job in Cyprus, so that my family and I can begin our long-dreamed-of expat life. But, despite being well-qualified and having 2 decades of experience, I am finding it impossible to even get a first interview. I have applied for hundreds of jobs, but the fact that I still live in the UK seems to be working against me. It is a Catch-22 situation - I can't move to Cyprus without a job to come to, and I can't get a job because I don't live in Cyprus !

Can ANYONE give me some helpful advice on how to increase my chances, or have any experience of this, or even be able to point me in the right direction or "know someone who knows someone" ?

PLEASE HELP ! Our family's big dream is slowly dying, and we are at a loss on how to keep it alive.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for any help or advice, no matter how small.

Thanks, Simon

Old Feb 23rd 2018, 1:10 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Do I Get A Job in Cyprus While Living In UK ?

Ask not what your country can do for you...

We see this all the time in our neck of the woods. Problem is you are not seeing it from their perspective.

Why should they want to entertain the idea to interview you ?

What are you offering that makes you great? Are you going to work at a low rate, of local extraction with links to the place, speaking the local languages well, with local domain knowledge in your field, and a settled history of working in that domain there?

If not you represent a risk. You need to go there, do menial work if necessary and establish yourself, do any job that gets your foot in the right door effectively and be there pushing yourself. Thats what immigrants do if they arent individually desired by big corporates. I myself have been sent to india as a visiting consultant, you wouldnt want to compete with the smart underpaid [by comparison] professional workers there.

Be thankful you are allowed at present to go there because of the eu, you would not be allowed here or in most of the desirble world...
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really a Catch-22 situation at all, it's the locals looking after their own interests.
Here in France it's exactly the same. Many Brits come here with very high hopes of finding a job, and often they have good experience in plumbing, electrical installaton, etc. Even if they could speak good French (which is not often the case), their qualifications would almost certainly not be recognised here.
On the continent in general, the norms are different from the UK and you'd probably have to retrain in order to be qualified to sign off your work. As an example, if you were to do that in Cyprus, you'd still be at the mercy of fierce competition from the local trained workforce.
Of course if one has a very special sought-after skill, the situation is different.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why should they take on an outsider when there are people locally with the skills
needed ? What is in it for them ?

What can you offer that a Cypriots cannot ? Do you have a knowledge of Greek and of local conditions ?

See it from their perspective.,
Old Feb 24th 2018, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of negativity?! If he has applied for hundreds of jobs (rounded down to a hundred or so taking account of exageration, then there are jobs available in his field, probably)

It's not rocket science to most of us who wanted to work outside the UK and wasn't being moved by their multinational.

When you apply, you mention that you are available for a Skype interview (other video facilities apply) for an initial interview.

Then you have to be prepared to fly out there if offered a second interview. At this point I'd be making sure they understood it would be the final interview, so nothing is left ambiguous - who can afford more than 1 return flight? If you get to that stage, then make a few appointments to cram in intensive rental property viewings too.

I think one thing many Brits don't grasp is how different interview (or even CV) expectations are outside the UK. I can't claim to know the ins and outs of Cypriot job hunting - and I would be checking out Linked In rather than a forum to find this important information out. I know that where I live, they don't have time for BS questions, nor do they expect you to grovel and gush like a would-be serf - it's 'here's what we want, this is the fit we want, now what would you want?' business dealings: but I'm in North Europe and not the Med

I wish you and your family lots of luck with your adventure. Don't lose hope, but you maybe need to change your focus and, like so many, don't even think your native English speaking means something special anymore. It never did, particularly in a place where all kids learned two languages at school; and the prospect of Brexit (will they need to pay their gov't for your work visa and if so home much because nobody knows yet?) has made it even worse.
Old Feb 24th 2018, 8:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that the problem would be the same in any EU country which doesn't have the same accounting methods as in the UK. In France, for example, the OP would have to retrain and get requalified in French Accountancy before any application for a post would be considered. I suspect that this issue is applicable in Cyprus and potential employers are aware of this and select local, qualified candidates for interviews.
Sorry to be another Cassandra, but there are certain professions, e.g. accountants, electricians, plumbers, etc.. which aren't directly exportable from the UK to the EU, and retraining is necessary...