British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   Hoping to move to Cyprus soon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/hoping-move-cyprus-soon-771783/)

larra Sep 16th 2012 8:47 pm

Hoping to move to Cyprus soon

Did all the holidays to Cyprus, checked a lot of places out, I still love Paphos with a passion. Where would you say is the best area to live. Looking at long term rental for perhaps 1 year to get the feel of the place. Researched lots of things, wondered if anyone here could give me more advice on long term rentals and what else I need to know. Dont need work just sunshine. Thanks.:thumbup:

amiilogan Sep 17th 2012 10:23 am

Re: Hoping to move to Cyprus soon

Hi Larra.

Beware of the legal side of things. Whilst researching representation abroad I found this article about Cyprus that states the following-

Expats are alleging that corrupt lawyers and developers have been negligent when carrying out property transactions, often leaving vulnerable Expats strapped for cash.The amount of applications for complaints has become so large that it is creating a huge backlog that will take months and months just to process. One lawyer accused has even managed to attract 25 complaints in two years without a single judgment against her.

This can't be right, surely?! Anyway, thought you should be aware, hope this helps

Amii x

PS Read the full thing here if you like-

http://www.prycewarner.com/news-cypr...laints-72.html

Veronica-K Sep 24th 2012 8:02 pm

As Larra is talking about renting, not buying, none of that will affect her.
Also the law has become far more stringent in the past few years and lawyers now are far more diligent in their work. Unfortunately the big problem in the past is that naive Brits (and others) were far too trusting and would allow the developers to take them to their tame lawyer. People come here and leave their brains on the plane and do things they would never dream of dream of doing back in their home country. If things go wrong guess who the lawyer is going to help? The big company who brings them a lot of clients of course. One well known Paphos developer not only always gets people to use their solicitor but the owner of the development company is a lawyer and a partner in the firm his company recommend.
The most important thing is do not ever use the developers lawyer, find an independant one.
Also it is worth noting that in fact very few new properties are being sold these days which is why so many developers are facing major financial problems. The vast majority of sales are resale properties which have got their title deeds.
Be vigilant, don't allow anyone to talk you into something which dosn't feel quite right. Get an independant lawyer and don't sign anything until you are 100% happy.

Actually it should also be noted that the article tells people to consult Independant financial advisors before making any investment abroad. The facts are that many of the people who have found themselves in trouble in foreign countries such as Spain, Bulgaria and Cyprus were advised by IFA's to buy as investment when most of the time the UIFA's did not know anything about the country, had often never set foot in it and were only interested in selling a product which offered them the best commission. Many buyers never even came to look at the area where they were buying, just took the IFA's word that it was agreat investment.

amiilogan Sep 27th 2012 10:17 am

Hi VK

After reading your reply I'm astonished ast just how easily people will part with their money!

So, independent lawyer vs independent financial advisor see the former win hands down, right?

Thanks for the courteous reply

Amii x