British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/)
-   -   free english television in cyprus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/cyprus-117/free-english-television-cyprus-778827/)

Max 1965 Nov 26th 2012 3:40 pm

free english television in cyprus

hi

I have recently moved to cyprus iv been seaching everywere to
find cheap english tv i didnt get very far, i then found that you can recieve
bbc 1 2 3 and 4 itv1 chanel 4hd and a few others on a 1 meter dish with a box from a company in spain i have odered an recieved this box all i now need
is an engineer to come along and put me up a 1 meter dish can anybody recomend ????

Panhandle Nov 27th 2012 10:27 am

Re: free english television in cyprus

Buy a ladder and do it yourself :thumbsup:

Veronica-K Nov 27th 2012 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Max 1965 (Post 10402074)
hi

I have recently moved to cyprus iv been seaching everywere to
find cheap english tv i didnt get very far, i then found that you can recieve
bbc 1 2 3 and 4 itv1 chanel 4hd and a few others on a 1 meter dish with a box from a company in spain i have odered an recieved this box all i now need
is an engineer to come along and put me up a 1 meter dish can anybody recomend ????

It is the first time I have heard of this. It may work in Spain as they are closer to the uk and so more likely to fall into footprint for receiving these channels but we cannot even recieve them on a 4 metre dish anymore so I fail to see how you can get them on a 1 metre dish.

Max 1965 Nov 28th 2012 10:50 pm

Not sure if we are talking about the same satellites.

Channels mentioned most in Spain are getting from Astra 1N at 28 degrees east - i'm being told these hopefully receivable in Cyprus are on intelsat 907 at 27.5 degrees west and do not require a very large dish?

Veronica-K Nov 29th 2012 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Max 1965 (Post 10406629)
Not sure if we are talking about the same satellites.

Channels mentioned most in Spain are getting from Astra 1N at 28 degrees east - i'm being told these hopefully receivable in Cyprus are on intelsat 907 at 27.5 degrees west and do not require a very large dish?

Please let us know if you manage to achieve it.
While we can get most of the Sky channels and itv2 itv3 and itv4 it would be nice to be able to get BBC and ITV1 again.:)

Mergs23 Nov 29th 2012 1:55 pm

Veronica-K - How do you get those channels? Does it include Sky Sports as well?

Veronica-K Nov 29th 2012 2:56 pm

Yes we have all the sports channels, film channels, as well as the usual sky channels.
We have a box which is similar to a dream box which works via the satellite dish (2.7metres) and is also connected to the internet.
The box cost about 270 euros and there is a subscription of about 270 per year.

arran29 Dec 2nd 2012 3:38 am

so can you not subscribe to astrill.com if you are in Cyprus? I am a Brit in the US, that's the way I watch UK TV here, only costs $5 or so a month, cheaper than the license fee.

ukturk Dec 2nd 2012 7:04 pm

hi max
im new to this forum but ive been a admin on cyprus44, a popular forum but has since shut down, ive been involved in the sat/tv/internet industry in turkey and cyprus for many years so know a bit about it
firstly you correct about bbc1,2,3 & itv1,2 and chan4 being on intelsat 907, but the guy who sold you this has advised you wrong because the 1m dish is for people living in spain, for cyprus you will need a 4-5m dish as the footprint for intelsat is small and covers uk and close surrounding countries so hence the further u live away the bigger the dish you need to receive
secondly even if you do get a big dish these channels are encypted with a system called biss and at the moment these codes can be broken via the net but its not guaranteed cos they can change these codes wenever they want and you sitting there updating manually will be a pain the backside

if you want to recieve these channels stress free and without paying a monthly fee and not even needing a dish get back to me and i can explain how and what you need :-)

p.s here is a link to the sat footprint over uk you only 60cm further you go out you need 90cm,1m,1.2m,1.5m,1.8m,2m etc etc
http://www.intelsat.com/flash/covera...tml?sat=IS-907 at 332.5%BA E&display=map&spot=1

ukturk Dec 6th 2012 6:06 pm

sorry sue didnt realise:)

Debowing Jan 5th 2013 1:49 pm

www.lyngsat.com has all the answers.