Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Ex-pats and money in Cyprus banks

Ex-pats and money in Cyprus banks

Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:44 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-pats and money in Cyprus banks

Proposal voted down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21842966

I cannot now believe anyone would leave any money in Cypriot banks when they reopen later this week??????? Why would they?
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Proposal voted down.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21842966

I cannot now believe anyone would leave any money in Cypriot banks when they reopen later this week??????? Why would they?
They wouldn't by choice (unless they're crazy), but when the banks re-open chances are Capital Controls will be in place, meaning only small withdraws allowed every day, and limits imposed on electronic transfer of money out of the country.

Just remember, this was an EU plan, not the govts. The EU is trying to hold the govt ransom, and so far to their credit the govt have resisted.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

jamiest is an unknown quantity at this point

The Cypriot Parliament voted it down so no levy, for the time being anyway.

Too late, too late. The damage has been done. Who is going to leave their hard earned (taxed already) money lying in a bank vault now? Not me that's for sure.
I only keep enough here for monthly bills and housekeeping plus a few hundred for emergencies.

It's all coming out this week and I'll use the money that may have been lost to beef up the security on my place.

I don't even live in Cyprus but this has definitely put the wind up me and while I love Spain I would not trust the banks or government as far as I could spit them, same with the UK ones as well.

Old Mar 21st 2013, 2:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamiest

Too late, too late. The damage has been done. Who is going to leave their hard earned (taxed already) money lying in a bank vault now? Not me that's for sure.
I only keep enough here for monthly bills and housekeeping plus a few hundred for emergencies.

It's all coming out this week and I'll use the money that may have been lost to beef up the security on my place.

I don't even live in Cyprus but this has definitely put the wind up me and while I love Spain I would not trust the banks or government as far as I could spit them, same with the UK ones as well.

all brings new meaning to what granny kept under her bed
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 3:04 am
Rizlared

kevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to allkevray is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jamiest

So where will you keep your hard earned?? it is hardly a practical solution to put +100k in notes under your bed.

Where do you think is the safest place to put your savings? Premium bonds come to mind
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

jamiest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kevray
So where will you keep your hard earned?? it is hardly a practical solution to put +100k in notes under your bed.

Where do you think is the safest place to put your savings? Premium bonds come to mind
£100K? If only, what I've got wouldn't stuff a pillow, maybe a small cushion would do.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Youd probably make more from premium bonds in a year than you would from putting it in a bank or BS
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 9:29 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Premium bond winnings are related to interest rates so they too are nothing like as good as they once were.
Of course the more you have the better are the chances of your numbers being drawn.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 10:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Gold ?

Platinum ? Look at the price !!

the problem is that many people sunk their last penny into property because it was always a good bet.
but that has changed and unless you need to have a fire-sale will find it difficult to offload any property at any form of profit at the moment, if you can find someone willing to pay you for it.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joe King
Paying money straight into a seller's bank account is a very dangerous thing to do in any country and really bad advice.

Once the transfer is made, who is to say the seller will vacate the premises? What recourse do you have except a lengthy and costly legal battle in a foreign country?

Nobody would buy a property like that in the UK so why when we go abroad do we start acting differently?
Nobody pays money straight into a sellers account. It usually goes into the buyers lawyers client account who pays it to the sellers lawyer on exchange of contracts.
Most people use currency exchange companies to transferthe moeny from the Uk as they give better rates than banks.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 8:39 am
Just Joined

goggles is an unknown quantity at this point

As a matter of interest were these banks paying what would be considered high rates of interest in the current economic climate ?

To the couple who were buying , do absolutely nothing until it is clear what is going on, if you want to proceed use a well capitalised UK bank to transact your business , despite all the press hubris UK banks have rebuilt their capital base , you will pay costs but your money should at least be as safe as it could be , Barclays international or similar.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Joe King
Shocked to hear that the EU bailout will be partly financed by money held in Cyprus bank accounts:

Those with under 100,000 euros deposited must pay 6.75%

Those with more than 100,000 in their accounts must pay 9.9%

The money will simply be taken from accounts.

This is nothing short of robbery.

Imagine if you had just transferred money to Cyprus to buy a property? What then? Will you lose 9.9% of it for investing in Cyprus?
Yes, well the real "bailout" now agreed is much, much worse for some. Instead of a light-trim for all accounts, the bigger accounts are going to get a buzz-cut. If you have your hard-earned savings in Laika bank, and you're lucky(?) enough to have over 100,000 euros, then you could lose the lot, or 40%,30%, or 20% depending on which newspaper you read.

If you have over 100,000 euros in Bank of Cyprus then you will probably also be relieved of much of your savings, and who knows when you'll be able to get your hands on the residue – there is no outlook for accounts being unfrozen.

And, the EU are saying that this state-sponsored larceny will form a template for future bank bailouts. Pop down to your bank today and get that cash under the mattress.

Last edited by RockiesFellow; Mar 25th 2013 at 4:57 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Britain my money was in Santander and before I came here 2 weeks ago I phoned Santander to let them know I would be using my Visa debit card in Cyprus. There's no Santander here so I take my money out at various ATMs/cashpoints here in Northern Cyprus. I know this sounds like a silly question, considering the distress others must be in, but is my money safe?
Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

The EU and the Euro is such a load of bull****. I knew it wouldn't work from the start. And now that the silly idea is falling down around their ears they're turning to daylight robbery - largely because they can't admit what a stupid idea it is and what a pickle its all becoming and just fess up and deal with the implications. So they talk more official crap and pretend to know what they're doing when they are just stealing and bullying and failing to take responsibility and be accountable. They only reason they cooked up the idea in the first place was because they were being greedy.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Nobody pays money straight into a sellers account. It usually goes into the buyers lawyers client account who pays it to the sellers lawyer on exchange of contracts.
Most people use currency exchange companies to transferthe moeny from the Uk as they give better rates than banks.
If only that were true. You would be shocked if you knew how many Brits by abroad without using a lawyer and who do pay money directly into the seller's account. Someone on this thread has said that's how they bought in Slovenia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.