Reload this Page >

Education in cyprus

Education in cyprus

Old Aug 31st 2017, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Poppy69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Education in cyprus

Hi everyone
My husband and I are 46 and have a daughter aged 15 we are looking to move to cyprus next year - hopefully we are the the research stage. My daughter is in her final year at school so is wanting to start college in September in cyprus. I am struggling to find a college that does courses in health and social care -NVQ or vocational course - has anybody got any advise or a solution please?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education in cyprus

Will the colleges have vocational courses in English ? I think these may be taught through Greek.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Education in cyprus

I don't live in Cyprus but do know that National Vocational Qualifications are unique to the UK (hence they aren't International Vocational Qualifications ). Any course and accreditation would be unique to the Cypriot education system.

There are plenty of Bachelor Degrees throughout Europe which are taught in English, and even more Masters, but beneath this level, virtually nothing. I've found very little English-taught courses at 'college' level, and particularly for those professions that involve personal care (nursing, social work, elderly care, childcare, etc), the local language isn't just nice to have, it's absolutely essential. I say this from my experience in the Netherlands where English is very widely spoken by the young and the highly educated, but not so much by children, the elderly, the (older) working classes*, the people outside the 'international areas', whose citizens still need care. If your daughter wishes to work in the caring professions, she won't get professional registration without the local/official language from the body which awards it for the group she wishes to work with.

* I mention older working classes, because at this level of education (which starts at 12yo) following any second language, including English, isn't compulsory, just as it isn't in the UK. Some but not all of the younger manual workers will speak it to a reasonable level. The myth that 'everyone speaks English in .. Netherlands .. Sweden .. Malta .. Cyprus.. is an urban myth.