Reload this Page >

considering moving to cyprus

considering moving to cyprus

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: considering moving to cyprus

Originally Posted by fatcat65
thanks Veronica for your advice... i think we may do a reccy there when my OH gets back from Canada. Do you think he could make a living being self employed as an electrician or do they have an abundance of eastern europeans that will do the jobs cheaper. He is very experienced with 25 years experience in all types of electrics.
We are trying to decide whether to stay in the UK now and save for a couple of years then go traveling around the world for a year or go to warmer climes for a while and live and work for a couple of years.
We are just trying to weigh up all the options. I have also looked at Portugal too but there will be a language barrier there and also my OH worked with many Portuguese over in Canada as they couldn't make a living over there.
What made you move over there if you don't mind me asking?
I would go for the chance to travel the world. These chances do not come by often. I am lucky enough to have seen half the world. Cyprus is difficult at the moment, but with all the problems in the Middle East, being in Cyprus might be handy in helping to rebuild the destruction. Choices i am afraid, never easy.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Veronica for your advice... i think we may do a reccy there when my OH gets back from Canada. Do you think he could make a living being self employed as an electrician or do they have an abundance of eastern europeans that will do the jobs cheaper. He is very experienced with 25 years experience in all types of electrics.
We are trying to decide whether to stay in the UK now and save for a couple of years then go traveling around the world for a year or go to warmer climes for a while and live and work for a couple of years.
We are just trying to weigh up all the options. I have also looked at Portugal too but there will be a language barrier there and also my OH worked with many Portuguese over in Canada as they couldn't make a living over there.
What made you move over there if you don't mind me asking?
IMO Cyprus is a great place to live if you are either retired on a good pension or you have a well paid job to come to or a business.
We moved to Cyprus for the weather and more laid back life. We had enough money behind us to spend time researching the market for 2 years before launching our business. Our children are all grown up and we felt it was time for us to think about ourselves for once. We have no regrets, the business is doing well although we know many who are struggling to make ends meet yet we have always said we would rather struggle here than in the Uk. As long as you make enough to pay your bills the life here is so much less materialistic. No trying to keep up with the Joneses all the time.
My advice to families with young children however would be totally different.
Old Apr 2nd 2011, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
IMO Cyprus is a great place to live if you are either retired on a good pension or you have a well paid job to come to or a business.
We moved to Cyprus for the weather and more laid back life. We had enough money behind us to spend time researching the market for 2 years before launching our business. Our children are all grown up and we felt it was time for us to think about ourselves for once. We have no regrets, the business is doing well although we know many who are struggling to make ends meet yet we have always said we would rather struggle here than in the Uk. As long as you make enough to pay your bills the life here is so much less materialistic. No trying to keep up with the Joneses all the time.
My advice to families with young children however would be totally different.
Cyprus does offer a nice choice, mountain village life, coastal cities, inland villages, towns and cities, travel between places is not too far, Limassol and Nicosia are centrally placed, so there are these factors also to consider.
Cyprus being an island, also has an abundance of nice beaches, and of course not forgetting the weather.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

Although your children are older that may actually make it harder to make friends. I know a few teenage boys with varying degrees of Autism, Aspergers etc. and there is practically no help whatsoever. There are only a couple so called psychologists but no one who can really assist or specializes. And, many people seem to not understand what Autism is making it more difficult.

As for you, if you are qualifed to diagnose or aid children and teenagers with Autism or other emotional or behavioural issues I think you may have find yourself a business that is needed in Paphos and probably other cities (in my opinion).
Old Apr 11th 2011, 3:58 pm
Banned

Maverick2097 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with what Veronica said in her response.
Being a london born Cypriot myself, i have family members who a few years ago decided to move to Cyprus. What they said was pretty interesting; It's far more laid back and easy going as London (or any city based country) is.

When i was last there, it was about 11 years ago and from what i remember. A lot of the people living in the small villages were either in the Cafe's with their friends or playing a game of Backgammon which is very rarely seen in London in mid afternoon.

Generally, if you're looking to retire, Cyprus will be ideal as there are many places you can go to relax and put your feet up and the beaches are very popular.

If you're looking to work however, i would suggest other alternatives.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Honest_H
Your obviously considering your options carefully. Cyprus is great to live in if you all you want it a bit of sun and sea, cos really, thats all it has going for it at the moment! Prices of everything are on the increase, and a lot of people are leaving to go back to the UK. If you have jobs, like my husband and I do, then its fine, we get paid well compared to some, so we are coping. Weekends are just great, we have two small children, so most of the summer months are spent on the beach or around the pool. Its bliss!

There is always plenty of seasonal work around the tourist areas, and if you husband turns up on time and does what he says he'll do, he could end up with a good income.

BUT, you need to work hard at it. Its took us about 4 years to settle down (have been here for nearly 6 years), and it was a struggle at times, but the beach, sea, weekends away etc more than make up for the rest of it.

In saying that, we are now trying to get jobs back in the UK as we feel its time to return. Been there done it got the t-shirt as they say. Sometimes you just realise that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There is alot more to life than sun sand and sea, yes i know that sounds ridiculous, but, its true.
Well said H, I am returning to the midlands from Queensland Australia, my mates think I am insane. It is wonderful here but its not home and it never will be.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

sandie44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, I've been reading threads on here on and off since joining the forum and i keep watching with interest. Our story is that we moved to Canada on a work permit 2 and half years ago and applied for residency. The only stumbling block we came across was that my son has autism, however, he is very independent and needs minimal support. They have refused our request for residency saying that he will be a burden on the state..blah blah blah, which is totally not the case, however, we do not wish to spend thousands of dollars fighting this in Federal court and are looking to go somewhere now where we can get some sun and be near the sea. My kids will be 16 and 18 when we leave Canada in June so no schooling required we will just need work and somewhere to live. My husband is an electrician by trade and would possibly set up his own business and employ Cypriots, however, we are really not bothered what work we do we just want enough to live on and have some time to enjoy the sunshine and sea. I'm a manager of a Day Program currently for adults with disabilities and have many years experience of Autism, obviously!! However, i'm not too fussed either what i do. We are all British Citizens...i'd like to say English but that's not allowed anymore or at least it wasn't when we left the UK!!
So my question to you guys in the know is do you see this as a viable relocation place for us? We don't ask much just enough room to live in and enough money to live on, that's it.
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and i hope the weather isn't as bad as it is here in Canada at -30 today...lovely!!
I would also love to hear from any british people or families who have moved to cyprus. My husband and I are thinking of buying a appartment with a view to retire later on in life, but we are considering moving earlier if their is any work for us both, my hubby is a stonemason and I am mainly office but we would consider anything as long as we could both work towards living expencies...........
Old Apr 25th 2011, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sandie,
I would recommend that you come over for some recce trips. Take a look at different areas and contact some businesses to find out what the jobs prospects are.
Once you decide which area you like buy your apartment and use it for holidays and take some time when you are on holiday to knock on some doors to research jobs.
Some of the smaller developers are now tending to use natural cut stone to decorate the houses they build so maybe your husband could approach some of these to try to find a job.

Kind regards
Veronica
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

I think it is a good idea to at least rent first before plunging into ant house purchase first. You may want to relocate due to job prospects. There are many properties available for rental, so you will be spoilt for choice.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Hi Sandie,
I would recommend that you come over for some recce trips. Take a look at different areas and contact some businesses to find out what the jobs prospects are.
Once you decide which area you like buy your apartment and use it for holidays and take some time when you are on holiday to knock on some doors to research jobs.
Some of the smaller developers are now tending to use natural cut stone to decorate the houses they build so maybe your husband could approach some of these to try to find a job.

Kind regards
Veronica
Thank you Veronica for your advise, we have been to cyprus many times and love the paphos areas, we will be coming back again this year for maybe 2 trips and will perhaps enquire with the small developers.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kclarke
Hi we live in Paphos area and what would you like to know?
Hiw long have you lived in paphos? we want to locate, propably in about 8 yrs, we are thinking of buying a property this year so we can use it when we come over for holidays and then for retirement... what advise can you give us on living and may be working in the area if we decide to come to cyprus earlier? our children are grown up now so it would just be myself & hubby who is a Stonemason... i would consider doing anything thats going to earn a few euros.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sandie44
Hiw long have you lived in paphos? we want to locate, propably in about 8 yrs, we are thinking of buying a property this year so we can use it when we come over for holidays and then for retirement... what advise can you give us on living and may be working in the area if we decide to come to cyprus earlier? our children are grown up now so it would just be myself & hubby who is a Stonemason... i would consider doing anything thats going to earn a few euros.
Hi Sandie,
We have lived here for 7 years now and dont regret it for one moment.
It is much easier for more mature couples whose children have flown the nest to make a go of life here.
You need to be careful which developers you go with as there are many smaller ones who are in fact not really developers. They ofen are just farmers who happen to have land, know nothing about building and they use contractors to do the work. This often leads to some major problems.
On the other hand there are some very good smaller developers who are very experienced and hands on with their projects and do an excellent job. Spend time when you come over doing your research as we did when we first came. The more research you do the less chance you will have of getting caught by any of the many pitfalls there are to trip people up when they move here.

good luck
Veronica