Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Can Anyone help me arrange a short-long term rent in Peyia?

Can Anyone help me arrange a short-long term rent in Peyia?

Old Jul 4th 2017, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Cyax Rex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Anyone help me arrange a short-long term rent in Peyia?

Hi, Everyone!

My names Andy, I'm 32, British, and currently, I'm living in Malta and after 5 years, really loathing it.

Basically, I'm tired of being taken for a ride and recently it all got a bit much. I know as an expat you have to weigh the pros against the cons with local ways of doing things, but here (for me at least) it really does take it to a different level.

For instance, I pay all my rent here upfront for 6 months at a time. Earlier this year, I told my landlord that this would be my last year with him and then after paying my rent, he arrived with a 900 euro water bill saying that there had been a mistake for all the years I had already lived in the building.

Now, I knew this was a con. For one, he never did actually show me a real bill. Anyway, stupidly I paid this and let this go but yesterday after paying my next six months of rent until January, here comes my landlord with a new 300 euro bill, even though I paid my last bill in mid-June and everything was fully up to date.

Also, to make matters worse, this is the second out of 2 apartments where this kind of thing has happened and..... Well, don't get me started on other things.

Anyway, this kind of thing happens far too often here and over the past few days, I've realized that the cons here on Malta really outweigh the pros. More than that, I want to get somewhere with a similar climate where I might actually be able to see myself trying to stay after all this Brexit business. (I really don't want to end up stuck in Malta). More than that, Cyprus and Paphos/the Coral Bay area has been on my radar for a couple of years now.

Now, the good news is that I work from home so I don't need to worry about finding work in Cyprus. The only problem is that I really can't take much time out of work to fuss about arriving with my dog, finding somewhere to live, and waiting to get a decent Internet hook up sorted out. In fact, likely, I'll be working on the day I leave Malta and working the evening I arrive.

The above being the case, I'm looking to try and sort out a semi-long term rental in Peyia prior to arriving. Ideally, I will land with an International 3G dongle to help me keep on top of my workflow over the first few days, and as I get balanced, look for something more permenant.

Also, I kind of want to do this as soon as I get my dog's passport sorted over the next month in order to try and apply for my yellow slip before any big Brexit decisions are made. (And yes, I do want to live in what by all accounts is Little England in Cyprus. this way I can hopefully start building a bit of a social network).

So given all the above and given that I would be looking for a short - long term let for 200 -250 Euros, does anyone here think that they could help me arrange something?

In an ideal scenario, I'd land with my dog in Larnaca (the only airport I can fly direct with him too) jump in a pre-booked taxi with a pre-agreed upon price and be dropped off a few hours later at my new temporary/ possibly full-time home for the next 6 months.

Does that sound impossible?
Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Anyone help me arrange a short-long term rent in Peyia?

You really have to go and do things face-to-face. Any other path will lead to problems !
Old Jul 11th 2017, 6:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You really have to go and do things face-to-face. ....
I'm sure there must be certain advantages for British expats.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 8:34 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Check whether you have to set up a business structure and register in order to be able to work from home, get healthcare cover (and pay taxes!). This is so in France and elsewhere in the EU, and, what's more, you need written permission from the landlord to use your rented appartment for work.
Maybe Bureaucracy is different in Cyprus, but it's something to research....
Old Nov 4th 2017, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Indigo.r is an unknown quantity at this point

If your looking for rental there are lots of holiday lets that you could rent short term out of the boom season. Websites like bazeraki.com, smartrentz.com are pretty useful and kept up to date.

Alternatively, getting an agent is also useful. We used a private agent who was recommended to us by a friend who will search for what you want for you and show you options. As payment they receive the deposit (which is usually one months rent) you pay when you move in. I have a number for someone if its something your interested in for the paphos/peigia region.

Hope that helps.