Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Brexit vs. Health Care

Brexit vs. Health Care

Old Jan 23rd 2017, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of
Default Brexit vs. Health Care

Good afternoon all, I'm just asking a question on behalf of a family member who has retired to Cyprus.

I currently live in Italy where British ex-pat pensioners are concerned that if Brexit goes wrong for them (and I'm leaving any personal politics out of this post; it's purely to understand the facts of the situation) then they may have to leave Italy because of a lack of state-provided healthcare. This is because Italy will only allow pensioners to be resident here if they have a private healthcare policy.

What I'd like to understand is whether the Cypriot government has a similar policy for non-EU residents? Is there a chance that retired British ex-pats might have to return to the UK in the event of Brexit leading to the withdrawal of reciprocal healthcare agreements.

All advice appreciated and let's leave politics to one side!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit vs. Health Care

There were plenty of Brits living here long before Cyprus joined the EU and they received health care. Cyprus has a special relationship with Britain and I am sure that something will be ironed out to keep the present system where retirees get their health care and the costs are reimbursed by the UK.
Younger expats who are working will pay into social fund as they do now and this entitles them to health care.
I personally am not in the least bit worried.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

JohnWilliams is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
Good afternoon all, I'm just asking a question on behalf of a family member who has retired to Cyprus.

I currently live in Italy where British ex-pat pensioners are concerned that if Brexit goes wrong for them (and I'm leaving any personal politics out of this post; it's purely to understand the facts of the situation) then they may have to leave Italy because of a lack of state-provided healthcare. This is because Italy will only allow pensioners to be resident here if they have a private healthcare policy.

What I'd like to understand is whether the Cypriot government has a similar policy for non-EU residents? Is there a chance that retired British ex-pats might have to return to the UK in the event of Brexit leading to the withdrawal of reciprocal healthcare agreements.

All advice appreciated and let's leave politics to one side!
Hi,

When you say:

This is because Italy will only allow pensioners to be resident here if they have a private healthcare policy.

are you referring to non EU pensioners?

I take it that Italian state care is available by reciprocal agreement with other EU countries for their citizens?

I have no idea of the situation in Cyprus either pre or post brexit so will leave others to explain that.

Interestingly though, there seems to be a common misconception that free medical treatment is available as a right between EU countries. I think it depends on individual agreements. I was recently in the Republic of Ireland for a few days and had occasion to have to visit the casualty department of a hospital. I got a bill from the hospital some time after I returned to the UK.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnWilliams
Hi,

When you say:

This is because Italy will only allow pensioners to be resident here if they have a private healthcare policy.

are you referring to non EU pensioners?

I take it that Italian state care is available by reciprocal agreement with other EU countries for their citizens?

I have no idea of the situation in Cyprus either pre or post brexit so will leave others to explain that.

Interestingly though, there seems to be a common misconception that free medical treatment is available as a right between EU countries. I think it depends on individual agreements. I was recently in the Republic of Ireland for a few days and had occasion to have to visit the casualty department of a hospital. I got a bill from the hospital some time after I returned to the UK.

Do you have an EHIC card? If so you should not have got a bill.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
No I haven't. I slipped up there. I don't know if I can get one and claim back the bill retrospectively? Highly unlikely I imagine.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnWilliams
No I haven't. I slipped up there. I don't know if I can get one and claim back the bill retrospectively? Highly unlikely I imagine.
I would not think you can claim it back but I would recommend you get one asap for any future travelling within the EU.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

GeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud ofGeorgeYoung has much to be proud of

John, as I understand the situation in Italy, the Italian government has opted to impose a qualification period on obtaining residency here for people who aren't in work. So if you are retired, you have to have private health insurance to obtain residency; without it, you don't qualify and so can't live here legally, even as an EU citizen. Once 5 years are up, you can obtain indefinite residency (or whatever it's called) which gives you full rights.

I'm a little bit hazy on some of these details as I am not a pensioner, however I believe this to be the case and I know several people who are concerned about losing their right to live here over the coming years.

There are also implications on taxation of pension pots for British citizens living in Cyprus which are a bit beyond my ken but I believe these too could cause issues for retired ex-pats in Italy.

Thanks to Veronica for your optimism.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeorgeYoung
JSo if you are retired, you have to have private health insurance to obtain residency; without it, you don't qualify and so can't live here legally, even as an EU citizen.
Surely this only applies to early retirees? If they apply this to people who are in receipt of state pensions then they are flouting EU rules. Pensioners should be able to use the state system and it is then paid by the UK government.
Of course once the UK is out of the EU things may be different.

Last edited by Veronica-K; Jan 27th 2017 at 8:25 am.
Old Jan 27th 2017, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can't pretend to be an expert but they are the rules as I understand them. Your point about retirement age may well be relevant.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
I have an update on this. Apparently I should not have received a bill at all. (and am in the process of claiming the money back.) There is a reciprocal agreement between the Irish Republic and the UK in which the citizens of both countries can receive free medical treatment without an EHIC card, provided they are residents of their respective countries.

So a British citizen, resident in say, Cyprus, who was visiting the Irish Republic and needed medical treatment would have to produce an EHIC card to qualify.