Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

19 Years old, hoping to emigrate to Cyprus :)

19 Years old, hoping to emigrate to Cyprus :)

Old Aug 10th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

joeydav is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 19 Years old, hoping to emigrate to Cyprus :)

Hi, I was just looking for some help and advice.

As I'm only young I don't really understand what I'll need to take into account before moving, how much money I will need, which area would suit me, what the work is like etc...

If you have any advice at all, whether it be a small bit of advice I'd appreciate it if you left a comment, Thanks.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

toastaddict is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 19 Years old, hoping to emigrate to Cyprus :)

If you want to move here, make sure you have a job to come to. Do not make the mistake of moving here and then trying to get a job. Unemployment is very high here and they will hire a Cypriot before a Brit.

Come out here with at least 4 years of living expenses behind you. And don't expect to earn alot. Be content with just about ticking over, this is what most people out here have to do.

If you don't have a trade then Cyprus is not the place for you. theres a ton of people all clamouring for the unskilled jobs and they will pick the Cypriot applicants first.

Always ask the advice of an experianced ex pat. Never ask the advice of a Cypriot, chances are, you will get ripped off. Never ever buy a home without an independant lawyer who has been recomeded by an ex pat. Always get several quotes for services. Never ask a Cypriot for a recomend of services, as they will recomend their cousin who will probably turn out to be lously rather than someone good for the job.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

joeydav is an unknown quantity at this point

I do have a trade, I'm a qualified electrician. I don't have any experience right now but I am looking for work.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

toastaddict is an unknown quantity at this point

good that you have a trade that will be a bonus for you. Still make sure you have a couple of years worth of money to back you up.

Do not make the mistake of thinking you can come out here and pick up work. Have a job lined up before leaving the UK. i've seen many qualifed people come out here thinking they can pick up work and build a self employed business... they normaly end up having to pick up low paid odd jobs just to pay the rent, in the end they return to the UK bitter.

Rent first do not buy a place till youv'e been here enough time to decide if its right for you.