Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Would appreciate advice - Getting home with Japanese wife

Would appreciate advice - Getting home with Japanese wife

Old Jan 24th 2018, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

drakedavid89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would appreciate advice - Getting home with Japanese wife

Good morning everyone.

I am looking for some advice and would appreciate anything that anyone can offer. I am a young British national who has been living Japan for 3 years now with my Japanese wife. Life is great here but I feel it is time to go home and start a career in the UK (my experience is banking/finance)

We do not want to separate so we initially tried to apply for the youth mobility visa to get her home for 2 years so we can work something out from home however we have failed this 3 times as its a system based on luck where they essentially draw applications out of a hat due to limited numbers. The next option is the spouse visa. Here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to go home by myself, find a job that meets the requirement and bring her over from the UK?

2. My salary in Japan meets the 6 month requirement. This seems too simple but is it literally a case of getting 6 months of payslips translated into English then giving them to my wife to apply with in Japan once im home? Surely after the process goes on eventually those 6 months will be old and they will need later ones i wont have yet?

3. If I go home and work for 6 months without my wife, is it possible to apply for her to come over?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Jan 24th 2018, 11:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would appreciate advice - Getting home with Japanese wife

Originally Posted by drakedavid89
Good morning everyone.

I am looking for some advice and would appreciate anything that anyone can offer. I am a young British national who has been living Japan for 3 years now with my Japanese wife. Life is great here but I feel it is time to go home and start a career in the UK (my experience is banking/finance)

We do not want to separate so we initially tried to apply for the youth mobility visa to get her home for 2 years so we can work something out from home however we have failed this 3 times as its a system based on luck where they essentially draw applications out of a hat due to limited numbers. The next option is the spouse visa. Here are my questions.

1. Is it possible to go home by myself, find a job that meets the requirement and bring her over from the UK?

2. My salary in Japan meets the 6 month requirement. This seems too simple but is it literally a case of getting 6 months of payslips translated into English then giving them to my wife to apply with in Japan once im home? Surely after the process goes on eventually those 6 months will be old and they will need later ones i wont have yet?

3. If I go home and work for 6 months without my wife, is it possible to apply for her to come over?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
1. Yes, providing that job earns over the threshold and you have been working for six months before you apply.

2. You would need six months in Japan earning over the threshold AND a job offer back in the UK starting within three months of your proposed arrival in order for the application to be successful. If you can tick both those boxes then your wife can apply for her visa before you leave and you can move to the UK together.

3. See answer #1.