Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Old Jun 24th 2014, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

When I get to the UK in a few weeks, I plan to immediately renew my old blue book passport. I did apply online from the US about a month ago and have an application number, so do I need to start my application from scratch again or can I merely pick up the existing application and hand them the supporting documents?

Also, can this be done in person at the Durham office? If so, do I need an appointment or just walk in?

Not sure I can get this all done on the spot because it expired 15 years ago; even so, it would be good to go in in person if they will see applicants, that is. It could be that I have to do it online again.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
When I get to the UK in a few weeks, I plan to immediately renew my old blue book passport. I did apply online from the US about a month ago and have an application number, so do I need to start my application from scratch again or can I merely pick up the existing application and hand them the supporting documents?

Also, can this be done in person at the Durham office? If so, do I need an appointment or just walk in?

Not sure I can get this all done on the spot because it expired 15 years ago; even so, it would be good to go in in person if they will see applicants, that is. It could be that I have to do it online again.
I would forget about your online application unless you want your new passport sent to the US. Use the Post Office's Check and Send service when you get back. HMPO may ask you to attend an interview but you can't apply directly at their offices unless using a priority service which you won't be eligible for.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I would forget about your online application unless you want your new passport sent to the US. Use the Post Office's Check and Send service when you get back. HMPO may ask you to attend an interview but you can't apply directly at their offices unless using a priority service which you won't be eligible for.

Thank you. I don't mind starting it all again - and paying for it again. I just want my British passport.

Would it be an in-person interview? Hopefully, I wouldn't have to travel to London for it (from Scotland).
Old Jun 25th 2014, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I don't mind starting it all again - and paying for it again. I just want my British passport.

Would it be an in-person interview? Hopefully, I wouldn't have to travel to London for it (from Scotland).
Yup. First time British passport applicants (this includes those applying to renew a very old passport like yours) may be asked to attend an interview to confirm their identity. You'd of course be able to get it done in Scotland if that is where you'll be residing in the UK
Old Jun 25th 2014, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Yup. First time British passport applicants (this includes those applying to renew a very old passport like yours) may be asked to attend an interview to confirm their identity. You'd of course be able to get it done in Scotland if that is where you'll be residing in the UK
Thank you.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:29 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, Windsong, I think that renewing in the UK is the best option. When's the move?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Supporting Documents for UK Passport Renewal

Sending in supporting documents to get old blue book passport renewal sent to USA . . . are there any instructions about how or where you should put the two photos (one of which is countersigned) when sending them in? I am trying to avoid any excuse for the passport office to delay.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:20 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Supporting Documents for UK Passport Renewal

Sending in supporting documents to get old blue book passport renewal sent to USA . . . are there any instructions about how or where you should put the two photos (one of which is countersigned) when sending them in? I am trying to avoid any excuse for the passport office to delay.
Windsong. I just put the 2 photos in a small envelope.

I'm pretty peeved today having found out that a first time application for a French passport in Italy takes 10 days. My Italian friends think it's hilarious that we Brits have to wait months so they keep feeding me these titbits.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
Windsong. I just put the 2 photos in a small envelope.

I'm pretty peeved today having found out that a first time application for a French passport in Italy takes 10 days. My Italian friends think it's hilarious that we Brits have to wait months so they keep feeding me these titbits.
Thank you, 37100. That's exactly what I have done - put them in an envelope and attached the envelope to one of the sheets with a paperclip. I just wanted to be sure that was okay.

The French passport must take only 10 days because it is within the EU. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that we have to wait around 12 weeks! I can understand why your friends think it is hilarious. Actually, it is more pathetic than hilarious.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 9:59 pm
Concierge

The French passport must take only 10 days because it is within the EU. I think it is absolutely disgraceful that we have to wait around 12 weeks! I can understand why your friends think it is hilarious. Actually, it is more pathetic than hilarious.
So is a Brit passport in Italy within the EU.

I am never going to live this passport fiasco down. Even Italian bureaucracy can't come up with anything like this and believe me, they try very hard. I'm at 8wks -I think- for passport n°2.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 37100
So is a Brit passport in Italy within the EU.

I am never going to live this passport fiasco down. Even Italian bureaucracy can't come up with anything like this and believe me, they try very hard. I'm at 8wks -I think- for passport n°2.
Yes, of course. Silly me! A British passport is absolutely within the EU. I wonder why one takes so long and the other doesn't. Something drastically wrong with this picture!
Old Jul 24th 2014, 2:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

.......put them in an envelope and attached the envelope to one of the sheets with a paperclip.
Just stick any supporting documents and photos in an envelope and put that with your application form and send it off. Use a paperclip if you so wish.

Sorted! Done & dusted.

I've merged this with a previous thread .
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

How long is the wait for an old blue book passport to be renewed and sent to the US these days?
As has been written here and here , your old blue passport cannot be renewed. As has been explained previously, your application will be treated as a first time application and so may well take longer than a renewal application, therefore the renewal timelines are of no use to you.

I gather that the timeline for a UK passport application could be around 6 weeks. As you have already adjusted your travel dates once, this will probably not be a problem for you at all , as you will simply await the new passport.

edited here............

Am editing this post to add in a link to another thread by Windsong about her UK/US passport issue, so that others may see that Windsong has received a huge amount of help and support on this subject over the past year .

This closed thread -

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 25th 2014 at 4:08 am.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Well . . . whatever you want to call it - replacement, renewal . . . the latest version . . . . the question is the same.

Hopefully, BritinParis will respond with the current timing. There are estimates even for "new" applications. It was 10-12 weeks just a few months ago, not six weeks.

As far as my own timing goes, the passport is very important.

Last edited by windsong; Jul 25th 2014 at 12:43 am.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well . . . whatever you want to call it - replacement, renewal . . . the latest version . . . . the question is the same.

Hopefully, BritinParis will respond with the current timing. There are estimates even for "new" applications. It was 10-12 weeks just a few months ago, not six weeks.

As far as my own timing goes, the passport is very important.
From what I have read you are going to need a lot of luck to get it through by early/mid September. Hopefully your travel plans are for late September. You've been asking various questions about getting a new passport for a year now and still haven't sent the application in. Just do it!

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 25th 2014 at 1:47 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.