Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Originally Posted by windsong
Gosh, that's very encouraging indeed.

My passport expired in 1999, so I am in a similar situation. I wonder if I should have someone sign the back of my photos, too.

Did you have the photo notarized? (Not that there's enough room.)

No need to have it notarized, just someone in a professional position, doctor, teacher, engineer, manager etc. who has known you at least 2 years. Only necessary if your current photo is sufficiently different from your old passport photo that recognition may be difficult.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
No need to have it notarized, just someone in a professional position, doctor, teacher, engineer, manager etc. who has known you at least 2 years. Only necessary if your current photo is sufficiently different from your old passport photo that recognition may be difficult.
I just thought of something. I recently got my US passport renewed and I have to send a photocopy of it with my UK passport renewal so they will see the photos look very similar. I think I will be okay.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought of something. I recently got my US passport renewed and I have to send a photocopy of it with my UK passport renewal so they will see the photos look very similar. I think I will be okay.
I'm not so sure - if you are sending photo's I think one of them has to be verified with the words 'This is a true likeness of .....' and signed under certain circumstances listed here - https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications . The actual words are on the form. As your application is treated like a 'first' application I'd play it safe and get one verified
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I'm not so sure - if you are sending photo's I think one of them has to be verified with the words 'This is a true likeness of .....' and signed under certain circumstances listed here - https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications . The actual words are on the form. As your application is treated like a 'first' application I'd play it safe and get one verified

I fully agree, why take the risk.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you are both right. No need to take the risk.

I didn't realize the photos needed to be signed/verified but there's certainly no harm in doing it.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 2:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize the photos needed to be signed/verified but there's certainly no harm in doing it.
Only one of them - the other should be unverified
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh, that's very encouraging indeed.

My passport expired in 1999, so I am in a similar situation. I wonder if I should have someone sign the back of my photos, too.

Did you have the photo notarized? (Not that there's enough room.)

I also have a copy of my mother's full birth certificate. I was thinking of including it, too - just in case. All of us were U.K. born.

Windsong - I am not sure if you have managed to find this - it's the guidance instructions for completing a passport application. It also includes specific instructions regarding what you need to provide in the way of photos and supporting documents.

I would suggest you have a good read of it and follow the instructions exactly, rather than trying to piece together what to do from other people's comments.

You mentioned that your passport expired in 1999, but I don't think you have said whether that passport was an old style blue passport or a red one?

If it is a blue passport, you cannot renew it - you must apply as a new applicant - so make sure you follow the instructions for first passport rather than renewal.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
Windsong - I am not sure if you have managed to find this - it's the guidance instructions for completing a passport application. It also includes specific instructions regarding what you need to provide in the way of photos and supporting documents.

I would suggest you have a good read of it and follow the instructions exactly, rather than trying to piece together what to do from other people's comments.

You mentioned that your passport expired in 1999, but I don't think you have said whether that passport was an old style blue passport or a red one?

If it is a blue passport, you cannot renew it - you must apply as a new applicant - so make sure you follow the instructions for first passport rather than renewal.
When I first completed the application earlier this year, I started here:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

The questions make it impossible to select the wrong application.

I do find that got more help here re the attachments to the application than I found online or in the instructions, though. I also could not find answers in the instructions to the questions that came up as I filled out the application.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Karma_Babe is an unknown quantity at this point

Only after I purchased an emergency passport, did I receive my passport ... it arrived today in England.
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Karma_Babe
Only after I purchased an emergency passport, did I receive my passport ... it arrived today in England.
Better to have two than none

Pleased to hear that it worked out.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

15 day turnaround for my US/UK citizen wife. Wondered why DHL had pulled into the driveway yesterday
Old Nov 28th 2013, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moggi1964
15 day turnaround for my US/UK citizen wife. Wondered why DHL had pulled into the driveway yesterday
Is it always returned by DHL or another courier?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is it always returned by DHL or another courier?
They used DHL to return my daughter's documents and new passport to California a few weeks ago.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 11:02 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

what is the length of time applying for a child's passport? 6 weeks i assume?

i'll be applying at the Hong Kong/British consulate (just worried about the documents getting lost)
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
what is the length of time applying for a child's passport? 6 weeks i assume?

i'll be applying at the Hong Kong/British consulate (just worried about the documents getting lost)
The official advice is to allow for at least six weeks. It'll probably be sooner but depends on how busy the RPPC is with the Christmas rush, your individual circumstances and whether your application is complete and correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.