Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Old Oct 27th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Windsong's UK passport application thread - Timeline,docs,photos

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They actually ask you to send any foreign passports you hold in. A photocopy with a covering note will suffice however.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_08.13.pdf

Sounds like a nightmare although very strange. Did you give you any explanation why they doubted your identity? Did you apply to Paris or Durham?
BritinParis, are you saying I have to send a photocopy of my US passport when I apply to renew my UK passport - as well as my birth certificate, that is?
Old Oct 27th 2013, 10:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
BritinParis, are you saying I have to send a photocopy of my US passport when I apply to renew my UK passport - as well as my birth certificate, that is?
Yes, and include a note saying that you need to retain your original US passport for travel.
Old Oct 27th 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and include a note saying that you need to retain your original US passport for travel.
Thank you so much for help in this. I didn't know about the US passport. You've just saved me a delay in getting my passport back.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

I understand I have to send my birth certificate with my passport renewal application. (It expired in 1999.) I have a certified copy of my birth certificate - roughly an 8 x 14 sheet. Is this sufficient?

Do I send the original certified birth certificate or a photocopy of it?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
There are companies who will express for you for an extra $100 or so.
The US companies that typically process passports are no longer allowed to process them for the UK. It all has to be done by the consulate in Washington DC.

I asked if they knew of another company that could do it and they told me none of them do it any more.

Last edited by windsong; Oct 31st 2013 at 5:59 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Is it possible to send a cashier's check/certified check in US dollars with the passport renewal application rather than using a credit card? This is how I was planning to do it. Then there's no problem with the credit card here not being charged prior to departure. I'd far rather pay cash anyway.

In the USA, the consulate is in DC but can I send the application (with cashier's/certified check, copy of US passport and original of the certified copy of birth certificate) directly to the UK to save time (overnight mail - actually takes two days)?

Last edited by windsong; Oct 31st 2013 at 6:00 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is it possible to send a cashier's check/certified check in US dollars with the passport renewal application rather than using a credit card? This is how I was planning to do it. Then there's no problem with the credit card here not being charged prior to departure. I'd far rather pay cash anyway.

In the USA, the consulate is in DC but can I send the application (with cashier's/certified check, copy of US passport and original of the certified copy of birth certificate) directly to the UK to save time (overnight mail - actually takes two days)?
I doubt they will accept US currency...as the PP are issued from the UK.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I doubt they will accept US currency...as the PP are issued from the UK.
I could always have the bank give me a bank draft in UK pounds, I believe - if that is acceptable to the passport office in the UK.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 6:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I could always have the bank give me a bank draft in UK pounds, I believe - if that is acceptable to the passport office in the UK.
What does it state for method of payment?

I very much doubt that will be acceptable. Sending a foreign check incurs extra fees for the Embassy...plus there is the issue of fluctuating exchange rates. Use your credit card.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 8:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I understand I have to send my birth certificate with my passport renewal application. (It expired in 1999.) I have a certified copy of my birth certificate - roughly an 8 x 14 sheet. Is this sufficient?

Do I send the original certified birth certificate or a photocopy of it?
It needs to the original Certified Copy of an Entry in the Register as issued by the GRO and it will need to show your parents' details. A photocopy won't be accepted.

You send your application directly to the UK now. The consulate in Washington no longer has responsibility for passport applications. As the application is going to the UK then they won't accept foreign currency in any form.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What does it state for method of payment?

I very much doubt that will be acceptable. Sending a foreign check incurs extra fees for the Embassy...plus there is the issue of fluctuating exchange rates. Use your credit card.
Again it'll be going to the UK but I suspect they will still only accept payment by credit/debit card. A cheque/banker's draft drawn from a foreign bank, even in Pound Sterling, is unlikely to be accepted.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Karma_Babe is an unknown quantity at this point

They actually ask you to send any foreign passports you hold in. A photocopy with a covering note will suffice however.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._Gp1_08.13.pdf

Sounds like a nightmare although very strange. Did you give you any explanation why they doubted your identity? Did you apply to Paris or Durham?
No explanation that makes sense! what part of me being an ex officer with my fingerprints in the british system makes sense to you? (ie.and therefore proving I am me is not hard to do)

no choice anymore -DURHAM -the fact that the consulate and embassy in the Netherlands didn't know this was also frustrating I still can't believe this crap and I have my old nhs cards, my last one and my british driving licence ... but I'm still not who I say I am :-/ great landing in England because they are too incompetant to sort this with sense :-))
Good news is that I'll be unemployed upon landing! guess I can concentrate on passing the habitual resident test and go on job seekers allowance.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karma_Babe
No explanation that makes sense! what part of me being an ex officer with my fingerprints in the british system makes sense to you? (ie.and therefore proving I am me is not hard to do)

no choice anymore -DURHAM -the fact that the consulate and embassy in the Netherlands didn't know this was also frustrating I still can't believe this crap and I have my old nhs cards, my last one and my british driving licence ... but I'm still not who I say I am :-/ great landing in England because they are too incompetant to sort this with sense :-))
Good news is that I'll be unemployed upon landing! guess I can concentrate on passing the habitual resident test and go on job seekers allowance.
Your prints may not be held any longer - even though they are taken as a matter of routine when you join the UK police, they are only held by the Force concerned, and not usually held after you resign as they were only taken for elimination purposes. Besides, serving as a pollice officer is nothing to do with passport appications, they are competely different areas.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

winston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to beholdwinston_1 is a splendid one to behold

If you are British and can prove it you don't need a passport to enter the UK. An expired British passport should be enough proof.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Just talked to our daughter today in California and she was very impressed at the speed of renewing her UK passport. Her old passport had expired 11 years ago and the photograph in it was taken when she was a teenager so she had someone write on the back of her new photo that he verified that it was a true likeness. She also included her marriage certificate as proof of name change.

She sent the documents Fedex to Durham and got the new passport via DHL exactly 2 weeks later. A separate DHL package had her supporting documents.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Just talked to our daughter today in California and she was very impressed at the speed of renewing her UK passport. Her old passport had expired 11 years ago and the photograph in it was taken when she was a teenager so she had someone write on the back of her new photo that he verified that it was a true likeness. She also included her marriage certificate as proof of name change.

She sent the documents Fedex to Durham and got the new passport via DHL exactly 2 weeks later. A separate DHL package had her supporting documents.
Gosh, that's very encouraging indeed.

My passport expired in 1999, so I am in a similar situation. I wonder if I should have someone sign the back of my photos, too.

Did you have the photo notarized? (Not that there's enough room.)

I also have a copy of my mother's full birth certificate. I was thinking of including it, too - just in case. All of us were U.K. born.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.