Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Since 2004 foreign same-sex marriages can be registered in the UK as civil partnerships, which confer the exact same rights & priviledges on British soil as civil marriage between heterosexuals.
Yes indeed, and shortly it will be exactly the same rules....
Old Feb 6th 2013, 10:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Unbelievable story

Was that the only reason you decided not to go back? And where are you living now?
Remember that one of the candidates for post of the year 2012 was someone who said he left the UK for the US after seeing the price of washing up liquid (or something similar) in the supermarket.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Emmbritt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

My heart goes out to you...I want to go back to Britain after 31 yrs in US. The only way I can do it is to just get on the plane and go. I never did get my citizenship here, and I am quite glad I didn't now. Good luck with your plans. Keep us posted!
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:31 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Emmbritt123
My heart goes out to you...I want to go back to Britain after 31 yrs in US. The only way I can do it is to just get on the plane and go. I never did get my citizenship here, and I am quite glad I didn't now. Good luck with your plans. Keep us posted!
My British Passport is the most valuable thing I own.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Remember that one of the candidates for post of the year 2012 was someone who said he left the UK for the US after seeing the price of washing up liquid (or something similar) in the supermarket.
LOL I was just home and thought most things in Tesco were much cheaper than anything in Walmart. Especially fruit and veggies a whole bag of kiwi fruits for a pound bargain You can definitely eat better for cheaper back home than you can here in NY.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Emmbritt123

Thanks Im probably going to go home in the Summer and hopefully get a job back in my old work place while my hubby stays here and saves til he can apply for his visa.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by WEBlue
No, you don't face any financial requirements if you and your wife move to another EU country and follow the Surinder Singh route to settlement in the UK.

You (as the UK/EU citizen) move to an EU country with your non-EEA spouse and find work there--it's called exercising your EU treaty rights. The work you find doesn't need to have any specific salary amount. It can be any job, paying anything, but it must be documented and contribute taxes to the host country. No under-the-table, cash-only payment--you must have a documented, proveable job for around 6 months (to be safe).

Then you have your wife apply for an EU Family Permit, which is free, and which requires only that the EU citizen (you) has worked legally in that EU country. When she receives the EU FP, you can both move to the UK.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eu...family-permit/

Do a search on Surinder Singh route to family reunification in the UK. Here's a good thread to start with:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776431
with a EU family permit does the non uk spouse then get full benefits like other EU spouses?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandianna
LOL I was just home and thought most things in Tesco were much cheaper than anything in Walmart. Especially fruit and veggies a whole bag of kiwi fruits for a pound bargain You can definitely eat better for cheaper back home than you can here in NY.
Ditto! and it is REAL food not the over processed crap the supermarkets around here sell! I was amazed at the prices when we were there in Dec. I thought clothes were a tad more expensive but I did not really do a lot of shopping as I caught that nasty Norwalk virus and was out of commission for 5 days.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

gailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nicegailc is just really nice

Hello fellow expats here is the deal my husband (American) and I were all set to move back to Scotland where I am from. Only after ready the new change in the law of me now needing 18,600 pounds in savings or a job we cannot afford it. I am deeply homesick and have never really settled in here and we finally had made the decision to go back only to run into this. I have read that some other people have gotten loans for the visa application im not sure how viable that is or if you are even allowed to do it?? I only work part time my husband is the full time earner in our house. I just wondered if there are other people in the same boat and if there are any other ways of doing this apart from me having to go home first and getting a job before he can apply for his visa. Tanks for any info you can give me
I know exactly how you feel - I married a US serviceman, married in England and now retired. Trying to find out things is the worst. As we have pets to consider (and would not think of leaving them), I would like to find out (after we could sell our house - which does make up the difference) just go there, rent a house and then do all his paperwork then.

I wish you both luck and hope we both (and anyone else in the same boat)can find a way. I do understand as we have family and friends in the UK and the things we enjoy doing are there.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hello fellow expats here is the deal my husband (American) and I were all set to move back to Scotland where I am from. Only after ready the new change in the law of me now needing 18,600 pounds in savings or a job we cannot afford it. I am deeply homesick and have never really settled in here and we finally had made the decision to go back only to run into this. I have read that some other people have gotten loans for the visa application im not sure how viable that is or if you are even allowed to do it?? I only work part time my husband is the full time earner in our house. I just wondered if there are other people in the same boat and if there are any other ways of doing this apart from me having to go home first and getting a job before he can apply for his visa. Tanks for any info you can give me
What law change? Why do you need this sum of money to go back? Are you talking about paying 3-6 months rent up front for living accomodation?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectator Of Suicide
Do what I'm doing and move elsewhere in the EU. Already looking at potential gigs lined up in Denmark

Trust me, when you've lived in such an alien culture for so long, anywhere in northern Europe could be home.
I definitely agree with this - and with the statement about living in an alien culture and calling just about anywhere in Northern Europe home. I may consider this option myself.

Am I correct in assuming that the need to have SO much money to move back to the UK is a UK law and not an EU law? I have been away a long time so I am a bit out of touch with who is making what law over there these days.

If this law does not apply to other countries in the EU, so long as it is possible to get a job and surpass the language difficulties, it is the way to go, I think.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pomikev
My British Passport is the most valuable thing I own.
Well said!!!!!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ldollard
You cannot get a loan for this, when you apply you have to show where the money came from via your bank statements, i'm sure there are ways around this like having the money go into a friends account then into yours, but then you need to hold onto it for 6 maybe 12 months, cant remember the time and you need to have the same amount of money in 2.5 years as well, unless you in that time have a job equal or above 18600.

To be honest, considering (assuming here) you have no kids, if i was you, i'd just go back get a job (i think 18600 is pretty attainable, hope i'm not wrong), stay for 6 months. Then apply for your husband to come over.
Are you saying that if you have a job to go to when you land there, you don't have to have the 3-6 months rent saved?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree with you on that hope Labour get rid of it of they do get it. I did speak to a solicitor in Scotland and she did say this particular law does get reviewed and or changed every 2 years anyway so it may be a matter of sitting tight but I need out before then.
I hope it is before 2015
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I agree but the apparent utter incompetence of how the law was thought out means that it has had the unintended or intended effect, depending on your viewpoint of disadvantaging British citizens worldwide who have foreign born spouses. This may well have been considered when drafting the law, if so the incompetence or deliberate disregard for British citizens, where ever they may originally hail from is scandalous.

The more I look at this the more I see a bright future for UK immigration lawyers challenging this one through the European courts. But that does not help the OP or others like them.

BTW I don't have a foreign born spouse (anymore ) but I still find it objectionable that expats seem to be targeted or fall into the cracks once again.
It seems that individuals who left the UK to become citizens in the USA will be penalized in the tax laws of the USA if the give up US citizenship. How nice that they may be penalized when returning to their "own" country just because they are/were an expat. They will be penalized twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.