Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice
Default Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Here is something you could try; on the UK radio station LBC 97.3FM on Thursday mornings 9am UK time, the Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is taking calls from members of the public and it is broadcast live.

Perhaps you may think about contacting him and put him on the spot.....tell him about the scenario in your first paragraph above and ask him how that can be fair? (British expats are allowed to vote in UK elections for up to 15 years after leaving the UK, so do make it clear that you are a voter!!!)

Here's how to do it - although you will have to get up in the wee small hours to make that call lol!

http://www.lbc.co.uk/call-clegg-nick...n-on-lbc-65903

Home Page: http://www.lbc.co.uk - you can listen live at any time or listen to podcasts. People call in from all over the UK and overseas to the various presenters and the topics covered are not just relevant to issues in London.

Hope this helps.

Im so going to do this thanks
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:37 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I didn't expect to see this sort of thing on this forum. What a disappointment
Me neither, I thought I had made myself pretty clear, and certainly hope I have to that poster now.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 1:49 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
Hello fellow expats here is the deal my husband (American) and I were all set to move back to Scotland where I am from. Only after ready the new change in the law of me now needing 18,600 pounds in savings or a job we cannot afford it. I am deeply homesick and have never really settled in here and we finally had made the decision to go back only to run into this. I have read that some other people have gotten loans for the visa application im not sure how viable that is or if you are even allowed to do it?? I only work part time my husband is the full time earner in our house. I just wondered if there are other people in the same boat and if there are any other ways of doing this apart from me having to go home first and getting a job before he can apply for his visa. Tanks for any info you can give me
Hey, im in the same 'boat' as you.... it's really sh!!ty these new 'rules/laws' and im sure it's against the human rights of us... how dare a uk government stop one of there own citizens to bring back there husband/wife if you can't meet the demands? (which clearly isn't right) to be honest the new rules is a cash cow seems they want to pull a fast one... don't worry tho, im sure it will turn out good for you in the end.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Hey, im in the same 'boat' as you.... it's really sh!!ty these new 'rules/laws' and im sure it's against the human rights of us... how dare a uk government stop one of there own citizens to bring back there husband/wife if you can't meet the demands? (which clearly isn't right) to be honest the new rules is a cash cow seems they want to pull a fast one... don't worry tho, im sure it will turn out good for you in the end.

Thanks there seems to be lots of us it is nice to know im not aone im so glad I came on here it helps just to vent. Im hoping something will change soon and we can all go home.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
There's a Parliamentary Enquiry going on -- tomorrow's unfortunately the last day, however, for submitting your evidence (31 Jan. 2013). But anyway, you can write a contribution to the enquiry. Anyone who feels the new family visa rules have impacted their life can communicate with the committee until tomorrow.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783744

http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/family-inquiry
There is still time to add your voices - I have just added mine:

Submission confirmed
Thank you for submitting evidence to the APPG on Migration family migration inquiry.

The Committee will continue to take written evidence until 31 January 2013. It will also hear from key stakeholders and individuals during two evidence sessions in the House of Commons on 11 February and 4 March 2013.

Based on the parliamentary hearings and submitted evidence, an inquiry report will be published in April 2013.

Please continue to follow the progress of the family migration inquiry by subscribing to the APPG Migration mailing list.

http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/cont...nce-submission
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
There is still time to add your voices - I have just added mine:

Submission confirmed
Thank you for submitting evidence to the APPG on Migration family migration inquiry.

The Committee will continue to take written evidence until 31 January 2013. It will also hear from key stakeholders and individuals during two evidence sessions in the House of Commons on 11 February and 4 March 2013.

Based on the parliamentary hearings and submitted evidence, an inquiry report will be published in April 2013.

Please continue to follow the progress of the family migration inquiry by subscribing to the APPG Migration mailing list.

http://www.appgmigration.org.uk/cont...nce-submission
Me too
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

BlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant future

And I like the idea of all calling Nick Clegg and telling him what this law has done. Not a hypothetical scenario thought up (or not as the case might be!) by an economist, but the actual experience of a UK citizen, with family and children, who only wants what should be his birthright!
G#$%^m it!
*stomps foot and looks awfully cross*
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BlueMorpho
And I like the idea of all calling Nick Clegg and telling him what this law has done. Not a hypothetical scenario thought up (or not as the case might be!) by an economist, but the actual experience of a UK citizen, with family and children, who only wants what should be his birthright!
G#$%^m it!
*stomps foot and looks awfully cross*
Id love to hear your conversation with him BlueMorpho
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Nick Clegg deserves an ear-bashing for crawling to the Tories in the first place.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

BlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant futureBlueMorpho has a brilliant future

Well, I just emailed him my question! It happens every Thursday morning so we'll have to wait till next week to know, but

I might also ask my sister, who is known to be ...strident, to call as well.

We have to find and exploit every avenue available to us. We are in the right. Our country has done us a disservice which has real, long term consequences.

"We shall fight them on the beaches..." which is an odd thing to say about ones own government, but it's how they've made me feel!

Yes Sally, he does. My mum used to vote Lib Dem when I was a kid in the Thatcher years. Those words (Lib Dem) don't mean what they used to!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I just emailed him my question! It happens every Thursday morning so we'll have to wait till next week to know, but

We have to find and exploit every avenue available to us. We are in the right. Our country has done us a disservice which has real, long term consequences.

"We shall fight them on the beaches..." which is an odd thing to say about ones own government, but it's how they've made me feel!

Yes Sally, he does. My mum used to vote Lib Dem when I was a kid in the Thatcher years. Those words (Lib Dem) don't mean what they used to!
I was never keen on them and they have shown their true colours now.

Good luck with all your plans.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
Really can you tell me more about the European option what is it like to get into Denmark? I am open to all options
Please be aware that your right to move your family to another EU country, for more than six months, depends on YOU obtaining employment and working (part time or full time) . You will of course want to choose a place where your better half can get a full time job as he is the principal breadwinner.

If there are any children (present or prospective :-) ) in the picture you would get the enormous benefit that they grow up bilingual. France is a country with lots of opportunity where people really enjoy life if you can swing it. Getting and keeping employment is the key. Not easy, but possible.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:31 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Please be aware that your right to move your family to another EU country, for more than six months, depends on YOU obtaining employment and working (part time or full time) . You will of course want to choose a place where your better half can get a full time job as he is the principal breadwinner.

France is a country with lots of opportunity where people really enjoy life if you can swing it. Getting and keeping employment is the key. Not easy, but possible.
Yes, this is the whole key to the Singh route. The British partner must work at a legitimate job (or jobs) which pay tax into the host EU country's coffers for a certain period of time (6 months seems to be the "safe" length of time).

That could actually be a challenge even to the best-qualified British citizen, especially if language and cultural differences get in the way. No under the-table, cash-in-hand jobs, but a real job that can be documented when the UKC returns with his/her apouse to the UK. In this economy, with much of Europe more or less in crisis, that may not be easy at all.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Good for you! I hope that either you or your sister manage to get through to Nick Clegg on the radio programme.

The irony is that his wife is Spanish! It will be interesting to see if he therefore shows any empathy with British citizens with foreign spouses.....but on the other hand....

Here's a little bit of info about Cleggy:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ach-dance.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ax-breaks.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Clegg (read the section "Early life and family")

Good Luck!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the background Englishmum.
People so very rarely appreciate irony when they are its object...
It sounds like Clegg the Leg might be one of those....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.