Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice
Default Re: Want to move but cannot afford to move back any suggestions?

Originally Posted by ldollard
Once again we are in harmony Zen10.... The law is clearly designed to do just one thing and that's (in the words of the government) to take immigration from 100,000's down to 10,000's.

They cannot give a **** how they do it or who it affects. I can only hope labour comes back to power in 2015 and abolish this foul law.

Oh and the reason no one has challenged it, is because those who would are still in system for immigration and probably don't want UKBA messing up their chances, probably why they lengthened the Permanent leave to remain to 5 years.

It all becomes really obvious once you think about it.
I agree with you on that hope Labour get rid of it of they do get it. I did speak to a solicitor in Scotland and she did say this particular law does get reviewed and or changed every 2 years anyway so it may be a matter of sitting tight but I need out before then.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:05 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandianna
I agree with you on that hope Labour get rid of it of they do get it. I did speak to a solicitor in Scotland and she did say this particular law does get reviewed and or changed every 2 years anyway so it may be a matter of sitting tight but I need out before then.
While I do hope the law is reviewed and scrapped, where does that leave all the people who've started the 5 year deal, with the associated expense and restrictions?? Bet they don't get their visa fees refunded!!

Tory Toerags
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Dreadful law introduced by people who thought they were restricting migration into UK. Looney tunes stuff with truly tragic effects for many.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Dreadful law introduced by people who thought they were restricting migration into UK. Looney tunes stuff with truly tragic effects for many.
Agreed. Young people like Mandi (I'm assuming you're young, Mandi!), oldies like me, and so many in between. God help us all, because Cameron certainly won't.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:34 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

I dont understand this post?

Give Sally Redux a break, 26,795 posts in 5 years which equate to say 16 post a day 7 days a week, she's allowed a few mistakes.....
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:43 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandianna
Hello fellow expats here is the deal my husband (American) and I were all set to move back to Scotland where I am from. Only after ready the new change in the law of me now needing 18,600 pounds in savings or a job we cannot afford it. I am deeply homesick and have never really settled in here and we finally had made the decision to go back only to run into this. I have read that some other people have gotten loans for the visa application im not sure how viable that is or if you are even allowed to do it?? I only work part time my husband is the full time earner in our house. I just wondered if there are other people in the same boat and if there are any other ways of doing this apart from me having to go home first and getting a job before he can apply for his visa. Tanks for any info you can give me
Its scandalous, a BC is made to jump through numerous hoops just to bring their OH home, im all for curbing the migrant intake, though they are penalising the wrong group, a group generally educated, have job prospects, have funds, and can speak the lingo.

Tory barmy army
Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot get a loan for this, when you apply you have to show where the money came from via your bank statements, i'm sure there are ways around this like having the money go into a friends account then into yours, but then you need to hold onto it for 6 maybe 12 months, cant remember the time and you need to have the same amount of money in 2.5 years as well, unless you in that time have a job equal or above 18600.

To be honest, considering (assuming here) you have no kids, if i was you, i'd just go back get a job (i think 18600 is pretty attainable, hope i'm not wrong), stay for 6 months. Then apply for your husband to come over.
You need to have the money in your bank account for at least 6 months. You cannot take out a loan but you can receive a "gift" for some or all of the amount, as long as you declare where the money came from.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
It is a dreadful law which doesn't do what the government want. It does not restrict immigration from the EU, which is were most immigrants come from.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Another poorly thought out 'Friday afternoon' law. Probably first conceptualized by some spotty faced intern to a Minister who said "oh thats a good idea!"

Doesn't really matter whichever political party thought this one up. I sometimes question what the real motivation is. I have to believe that this law was not the result of complete incompetence (I really hope things are not that bad). So what is the real motivation?

After all, the UK has historically prided itself on being a seafaring nation that went out and visited (I'm being very diplomatic here or obfuscating) other lands. The benefits of one's citizens cross mingling with other nations is a long recognized positive concept and one that the US , China etc actively encourage today.

This kind of rule discourages that but does not address the problem of immigration into the UK? Once again IMHO it just seems to be the politics of envy - those sad little individuals who never actually had the gumption to leave UK's shores (not that there is anything wrong with that). But time and time again I run into this stereotype who seem to think that those who have left the UK for a period of time should be in some way penalized for doing so! This attitude beggars belief but I keep experiencing it and I keep seeing a 'bright line' of laws that encourage it in the UK. Is it that expats are an easy target?

Frankly, I see a legal challenge in this laws future along the lines of denial of Freedom of Movement..I know that does not help the OP or others in this predicament. But a move to another country in Europe just might help with such a legal challenge.

Last edited by vikingsail; Jan 30th 2013 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Another poorly thought out 'Friday afternoon' law. Probably first conceptualized by some spotty faced intern to a Minister who said "oh thats a good idea!"

Doesn't really matter whichever political party thought this one up. I sometimes question what the real motivation is. I have to believe that this law was not the result of complete incompetence (I really hope things are not that bad). So what is the real motivation?

After all, the UK has historically prided itself on being a seafaring nation that went out and visited (I'm being very diplomatic here or obfuscating) other lands. This kind of rule discourages that but does not address the problem of immigration into the UK? Once again IMHO it just seems to be the politics of envy - those sad little individuals who never actually had the gumption to leave UK's shores (not that there is anything wrong with that). But time and time again I run into this stereotype who seem to think that those have left the UK for a period of time should be in some way penalized for doing so! This attitude beggars belief but I keep experiencing it and I keep seeing a 'bright line' of laws that encourage it in the UK. Is it that expats are an easy target?
I assumed it was to cut down on immigration from India and Pakistan.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
And, judging by the questions/requirements on the Set M forms, it is clearly intended to stop arranged marriages.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I agree but the apparent utter incompetence of how the law was thought out means that it has had the unintended or intended effect, depending on your viewpoint of disadvantaging British citizens worldwide who have foreign born spouses. This may well have been considered when drafting the law, if so the incompetence or deliberate disregard for British citizens, where ever they may originally hail from is scandalous.

The more I look at this the more I see a bright future for UK immigration lawyers challenging this one through the European courts. But that does not help the OP or others like them.

BTW I don't have a foreign born spouse (anymore ) but I still find it objectionable that expats seem to be targeted or fall into the cracks once again.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I agree but the apparent utter incompetence of how the law was thought out means that it has had the unintended or intended effect, depending on your viewpoint of disadvantaging British citizens worldwide who have foreign born spouses. This may well have been considered when drafting the law, if so the incompetence or deliberate disregard for British citizens, where ever they may originally hail from is scandalous.

The more I look at this the more I see a bright future for UK immigration lawyers challenging this one through the European courts. But that does not help the OP or others like them.

BTW I don't have a foreign born spouse (anymore ) but I still find it objectionable that expats seem to be targeted or fall into the cracks once again.
Yes I don't agree with it, but I think that's why it came about. These people are also British citizens.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I dont understand this post?
Oh just saw this, returning member now banned.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Panhandle
Give Sally Redux a break, 26,795 posts in 5 years which equate to say 16 post a day 7 days a week, she's allowed a few mistakes.....
Idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.