Visas for children of 2 British-by-descent parents

Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

JimmyZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visas for children of 2 British-by-descent parents

True enough on the settlement visas!

I found a "Study (non Points-Based System) - Student Dependent" visa on the www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk website. I can't find any information on it anywhere, but it doesn't seem to ask for any information that would exclude our kids. Do you by any chance know anything about it?

Also still looking into the visitors visas for the kids. We'll do some traveling into Europe while we're there, so the 6 months stay limit on the visa shouldn't be a problem as we'll be in and out of the UK a couple of times at least
Old Jun 22nd 2017, 8:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimmyZA
True enough on the settlement visas!

I found a "Study (non Points-Based System) - Student Dependent" visa on the www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk website. I can't find any information on it anywhere, but it doesn't seem to ask for any information that would exclude our kids. Do you by any chance know anything about it?
That would only work if you or your wife held a student visa for the UK. As British citizens you are not eligible for any UK visa.

Also still looking into the visitors visas for the kids. We'll do some traveling into Europe while we're there, so the 6 months stay limit on the visa shouldn't be a problem as we'll be in and out of the UK a couple of times at least
As South African citizens they will need some kind of visa to come to the UK but unless you are planning on lying through your teeth on their visa application forms and at the UK border I can't see how that's going to work.

Honestly, if your course is in Dublin, I really can't see the advantage is trying to set up home in NI. If living costs are a concern then just look at somewhere cheaper in the Republic.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

poida is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are travelling to the Schengen Area of Europe the kids will need visas for those trips as well. https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/who...schengen-visa/

I second BritInParis's sentiment on using a tourist visa to live in NI for the 12 months. Have a read on the Immigration Rules for visitors; https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...-visitor-rules
Appendix V 4.2 The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
(a) will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and
(b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home; and
(c) is genuinely seeking entry for a purpose that is permitted by the visitor routes (these are listed in Appendices 3, 4 and 5)
Old Jun 28th 2017, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the input poida & BritInParis. I've tried the visa call center & they said it's too complicated for them to work out what visa we need, so they've referred me to immigration directly. I'll post an update with more feedback once I get some more concrete answers...
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:18 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the input poida & BritInParis. I've tried the visa call center & they said it's too complicated for them to work out what visa we need, so they've referred me to immigration directly. I'll post an update with more feedback once I get some more concrete answers...
For the UK or RoI?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 11:04 am
Just Joined

I'm phoning immigration for UK. RoI really looks simple.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 10:03 pm

I'm phoning immigration for UK. RoI really looks simple.
With respect, if they tell you anything of use, they'll tell you to get settlement visas. If you're willing to spend that much to live in NI with your family for only a year then that's your choice to make but I can't imagine you will save enough in living expenses to make it worthwhile.
Old Jun 29th 2017, 3:26 am
Just Joined

Well that was a waste of time and money. The official answer from the visa help callcenter is . "Its too complicated for us to advise you correctly - please phone in country visas". The official answer from in country visas is "You're not in country - please ask the visa help callcenter or your solicitor".

Looks like I need to join an RoI expat forum for advice on where to live in RoI. Any suggestions (on forum or location in RoI - Dublin's not an option because of the cost)?
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:20 am

Well that was a waste of time and money. The official answer from the visa help callcenter is . "Its too complicated for us to advise you correctly - please phone in country visas". The official answer from in country visas is "You're not in country - please ask the visa help callcenter or your solicitor".

Looks like I need to join an RoI expat forum for advice on where to live in RoI. Any suggestions (on forum or location in RoI - Dublin's not an option because of the cost)?
Try the Ireland subforum here: Republic of Ireland - British Expats
Old Jun 29th 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Ahh, thanks. Didn't realise there was one here