Quick question about coming back to UK first

Old Apr 17th 2018, 2:49 am
Just Joined

cmdaniel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question about coming back to UK first

Hi,

Background: I'm a UK citizen, my partner is from HK. We got married in HK and are both currently living there.

Question: If I were to secure a job from HK, go back, work there for six months (of course equiv to 18600k and needing six months salary pay) and then tell my partner to make the application after six months, would this be of a disadvantage for the Home Office? - reason, because the Home Office wouldn't think we were in a 'real marriage' for doing long distance, is this correct? The reason I want to go back first is to settle with my job, flat (in new location for job etc). If this was the case, how often would she need to come over to the UK during that six month period to make the relationship look substantive and 'real'? -p.s. she fulfills all other requirements (i.e. language, our evidence etc)
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Uxbridge219 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quick question about coming back to UK first

Originally Posted by cmdaniel
Hi,

Background: I'm a UK citizen, my partner is from HK. We got married in HK and are both currently living there.

Question: If I were to secure a job from HK, go back, work there for six months (of course equiv to 18600k and needing six months salary pay) and then tell my partner to make the application after six months, would this be of a disadvantage for the Home Office? - reason, because the Home Office wouldn't think we were in a 'real marriage' for doing long distance, is this correct? The reason I want to go back first is to settle with my job, flat (in new location for job etc). If this was the case, how often would she need to come over to the UK during that six month period to make the relationship look substantive and 'real'? -p.s. she fulfills all other requirements (i.e. language, our evidence etc)
there are a few cases like yours where husband/wife separate for 6 months then apply the visa once 6 payslips are accumulated.
So, don't really see it as such a big deal as long as your marriage is genuine.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Uxbridge219
there are a few cases like yours where husband/wife separate for 6 months then apply the visa once 6 payslips are accumulated.
So, don't really see it as such a big deal as long as your marriage is genuine.
Thanks but I need to be sure that it is OK to do long distance for six months as I know the Home Office are always looking for ways to reject one's application.

I would like a second opinion on this.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If one needs to go back to the UK, start job and work 6 months, then the HO is quite used to this process and you will not be penalised. Many people have had to live apart for the 6 months. In many cases the applicant has visited the UK during the 6 months.

Have you read the following document carefully? :

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf

There are several categories and situations available to qualify under the financial requirements.

e.g. Cat A Section 5.2 IF you already earn 18,600 GBP in current overseas job, AND have job to go to in UK again earning 18,600 GBP the you are able to apply while still in HK and travel together to UK when visa is issued.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If one needs to go back to the UK, start job and work 6 months, then the HO is quite used to this process and you will not be penalised. Many people have had to live apart for the 6 months. In many cases the applicant has visited the UK during the 6 months.

Have you read the following document carefully? :

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ment_Final.pdf

There are several categories and situations available to qualify under the financial requirements.

e.g. Cat A Section 5.2 IF you already earn 18,600 GBP in current overseas job, AND have job to go to in UK again earning 18,600 GBP the you are able to apply while still in HK and travel together to UK when visa is issued.

Thanks. I would however my salary is just under the minimum amount (I know...) under current exchange rates so I was planning to find a job in the UK whilst I'm still in HK, go over, work for six months and then get my spouse to apply. Obviously wouldn't want the HO to think that because we were doing long distance we weren't in a normal relationship...
Old Apr 17th 2018, 7:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I would however my salary is just under the minimum amount (I know...) under current exchange rates so I was planning to find a job in the UK whilst I'm still in HK, go over, work for six months and then get my spouse to apply. Obviously wouldn't want the HO to think that because we were doing long distance we weren't in a normal relationship...
The HO made the rules. They're not going to penalise you for following them.
Old Apr 17th 2018, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just a number of points -

1) If your partner has British National (Overseas) status, he/she should apply for the UK spouse visa using his/her BN(O) passport. This means that your partner will be treated as a Commonwealth citizen in the UK, which enables him / her to -

a) register to vote in all UK elections. Being on the electoral roll helps your partner to build up credit history in the UK.

b) apply for some British civil service jobs which are open to Commonwealth citizens.

2) Your partner can open an UK bank account in Hong Kong before moving over to the UK. HSBC offers this service in Hong Kong, please see link below for details -

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/personal/hsb...s-account.html

3) If your partner holds a Hong Kong driving licence gained by passing a driving test in Hong Kong, he / she can exchange it to an UK one without test.