US Spouse, UK Move, uncertainty on Green Card

Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

TimG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Spouse, UK Move, uncertainty on Green Card

First post, so apologies if this discussion has been had before - likely it has but I do think a few specifics of our situation are somewhat unique(?)

The facts:

- Living in NYC for 3 and a bit years on an L1A visa (which has 2/3 more years to run)
- Recently married to a US citizen
- Child on the way
- Looking to move back to UK next year.

As I understand it, I have enough money (100k+) in savings that neither of us needs to have a job waiting for us to successfully apply, is that right? Given the impending new born we would love to have the option of not leaping right into employment, even though I could get transferred back to our London office and may choose to do so.

Re the process, how long does a 'smooth' application typically take, and how soon after you're 'approved' do you have to move? Is there a specific window and then it expires?Given, once again, the impending child it's hard to know exactly when we'd be in a position to move.

Final (I think), question is about Green cards. I could, as the spouse of a US citizen, apply for one, but have been advised not to bother right now if we're moving back to the UK, as it will complicate taxation and I can always apply later in life if we decide to move back to the US. Is that the right/good advice?

Any answers to any of the above would be unbelievably appreciated. As I am sure many people would agree, the whole process is rather daunting.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts/links,
Tim.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Spouse, UK Move, uncertainty on Green Card

If you have 100K GBP in savings and you have held these savings for 6 months or more then you can apply now for a visa and return to UK together. No need to show employment. You apply for a settlement visa for your wife.

Read the following website carefully to see how to apply:

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

Apart from financial requirements there are relationship and accommodation requirements.

Are you intending to move before or after the child is born? If after, you'll need a passport for the child.

The process usually takes about 3 months; you can use priority service to speed up the process. Note there has been long delays currently. Once visa is approved you have 30 days to travel to the UK to collect your BRP document.

Little point in applying for the Green card now, if you are planning to move back to the UK. Your Green card would lapse if you were out of the US for over a year.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

SanDiegogirl, thank you so much for the speedy reply and helpful info.

Point taken on the Green Card and that was very much where my thinking was too, so that's helpful to confirm.

Re moving before/after child...that's the million dollar question really. It's early days - the baby is due around the start of May, so we have time to move before if the application process takes 3 months, but we'd need to start asap if we do want to.

Just to confirm, you're saying that you have 30 days from when the visa is granted to move to the UK. is that what collecting your BPR document entails?
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimG

The facts:

- Living in NYC for 3 and a bit years on an L1A visa (which has 2/3 more years to run)
- Recently married to a US citizen
- Child on the way
- Looking to move back to UK next year.

As I understand it, I have enough money (100k+) in savings that neither of us needs to have a job waiting for us to successfully apply, is that right? Given the impending new born we would love to have the option of not leaping right into employment, even though I could get transferred back to our London office and may choose to do so.

Re the process, how long does a 'smooth' application typically take, and how soon after you're 'approved' do you have to move? Is there a specific window and then it expires?Given, once again, the impending child it's hard to know exactly when we'd be in a position to move.
Tim

If you are not planning to take on a job in the UK given the fact that the little one is on his/her way, I would suggest the family move to Northern Ireland for your wife to give birth in Northern Ireland. The child, being born in Northern Ireland with a British Citizen parent, will be entitle to Irish citizenship as well - a useful thing to have after Brexit.

Another point is that airlines would not allow women who are in the advance stages of pregnancy to fly. You need to watch out for that!
Old Oct 5th 2017, 5:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife will have 30 days to enter the UK from the travel date you indicate on the application form (which can be up to three months in advance of the date of application) or 30 days from the date your wife's visa is granted, whichever is later. Once in the UK your wife will then have 10 days to collect your BRP from the Post Office.

HKG3 makes a good point regarding giving birth in Northern Ireland.

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 5th 2017 at 6:13 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hugely helpful both of you thank you. We have family in London though and would be moving there right away, so although the N. Ireland suggestion is very clever it's probably not viable for us.

Oh and yes HKG3 we definitely wouldn't be flying in the later stages of pregnancy, so the move is a case of very early next year or well after the baby is hopefully born.

Last edited by TimG; Oct 5th 2017 at 7:15 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and yes HKG3 we definitely wouldn't be flying in the later stages of pregnancy, so the move is a case of very early next year or well after the baby is hopefully born.
You should apply for the wee one's British passport ASAP using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Have your child's British passport first before getting your American wife's UK spouse visa.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Follow up on this, and thank you again for all the good advice so far. Wondering which type of visa I am applying for for my wife.

The home office site offers two options - Marriage visitor visa or PBS Dependent - Partner Visa. Guidelines are unclear on the site itself unfortunately, as they don't provide a clear option (i think) for a visa application from a foreign spouse looking to come to the UK with a spouse who has been working abroad and doesn't currently live in England.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 3:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Follow up on this, and thank you again for all the good advice so far. Wondering which type of visa I am applying for for my wife.

The home office site offers two options - Marriage visitor visa or PBS Dependent - Partner Visa. Guidelines are unclear on the site itself unfortunately, as they don't provide a clear option (i think) for a visa application from a foreign spouse looking to come to the UK with a spouse who has been working abroad and doesn't currently live in England.
You want neither of those. You are looking for Settlement>Settlement>Wife on the dropdown menus.

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome
Old Oct 28th 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Very helpful, again, thank you. God these sites are confusing!

I have another question, if you all don't mind the bombardment.

We're aiming for a mid-February move home and are putting that on the application. If we needed to move later, how flexible/easy is it to change that date? it seems you can apply for an extension of 28 days, is that right? Obviously what we want to avoid is screwing this up and having to restart the whole process.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 4:58 pm

Very helpful, again, thank you. God these sites are confusing!

I have another question, if you all don't mind the bombardment.

We're aiming for a mid-February move home and are putting that on the application. If we needed to move later, how flexible/easy is it to change that date? it seems you can apply for an extension of 28 days, is that right? Obviously what we want to avoid is screwing this up and having to restart the whole process.
It is possible but it's best avoided if you can.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you BritInPAris v helpful again.

We're ready to submit the Settlement>Settlement>Wife form, but i notice that bar some basic information on me, the form hasn't asked for details on our financial situation, which is clearly rather important to the application.

Can anyone advise on when they require this information? Want to make sure we haven't missed anything crucial as we're shooting for a Feb departure for sure now.

Thank you, as always, this place is hugely valuable.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 2:07 pm

Thank you BritInPAris v helpful again.

We're ready to submit the Settlement>Settlement>Wife form, but i notice that bar some basic information on me, the form hasn't asked for details on our financial situation, which is clearly rather important to the application.

Can anyone advise on when they require this information? Want to make sure we haven't missed anything crucial as we're shooting for a Feb departure for sure now.

Thank you, as always, this place is hugely valuable.
Once you fill in the application form a link for Appendix 2 will appear. You will need to include this to provide details of how you meet the financial requirements.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

That's odd, nothing appeared and it is now saying the application is complete and asking us to book an appointment to submit biometric data. Did we do something wrong? Not sure how as there were no other links to click
Old Nov 4th 2017, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Well, according to the Visa4Uk site we've submitted all we need to do, but no mention of how we're funding the visa yet.

Sections completed are: Application Completed, Declaration Signed, BRP Collection Location, View Appointment, IHS Payment Completed, View Payment.

All that seems to remain is to print the application, and then attend the BRP appointment in a few weeks. Assume there are steps after that, but otherwise do we just wait to hear from the Visa department?

VERY anxious not to mess this up given the baby on the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.