Untouched Savings

Old Jan 28th 2015, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Fedupandt1red is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Untouched Savings

Hello everyone.

This may be a silly question because I feel that I don't completely understand the UKBA guidance notes. We will shortly be applying for a visa for my Canadian husband so that we can return to live in the UK. We are fortunate in that we are applying via the savings route. We have just enough. However, this untouched for 6 months thing…. does it mean the entire account has to be untouched or just the actual amount required? I have one account in the UK with the majority of funds in it which I haven't touched in over a year. I have other smaller savings accounts in the UK & Canada which I do use but have had a base of say a $1000 CND in them for a long time. Canadian dollar has also nose dived this week so average exchange rate on Oanda is appalling.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Untouched Savings

Not too sure but I would think that it means that your total savings, when you add all your accounts together, must not have dropped at any time below £62,500 for the previous six months. In hindsight it would have been advisable to amalgamate at least the Canadian accounts so that you just have two, one in the UK and one in Canada but don't do that now or you will reset the clock! And do watch conversion rates to ensure on the date of online application, your total savings do not drop below the required level. Good luck!
Old Jan 28th 2015, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi michali

Thanks for your response. I'm thinking (hoping) the same. And, yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I had 2 dedicated accounts for this purpose, but the Canadian account balance has been affected by the poor exchange rate. We are still just above the 62500 at today's x.rate but I would feel more secure knowing the other bits & pieces were taken in to account. We just sold a car so funds have been topped up too. The worst that can happen is that we may have to wait another 6 months before we can apply. Bit of a bummer. I didn't want to spend another Christmas in Calgary but hey ho.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:33 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

It can be in more than one account.

This would be a bit or work, but how about this idea. Create a 180 row spreadsheet with each row representing a day of the last six months. (Your bank statements will verify your data). Create however many rows you need for your various accounts (two, three, however many). Solve at the end of each row for the conversion rate as of the day you apply. Include this spreadsheet in with your visa application.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response Rebeccajo. I was a tax accountant in a former life. I lived and breathed spreadsheets. Why I didn't think of this. It's that breathe and breathe again scenario in your article. Very sound advice in there. Thanks.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 5:13 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fedupandt1red
Thanks for your response Rebeccajo. I was a tax accountant in a former life. I lived and breathed spreadsheets. Why I didn't think of this. It's that breathe and breathe again scenario in your article. Very sound advice in there. Thanks.
You're most welcome.