UK visa spouse requirements - HELP

Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK visa spouse requirements - HELP

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hi alfista,
I got no idea what the last poster was trying to say?
You are right, it is all very wrong. It very frustrating to be treated this way. The way the rules work at the moment mean that essentially a large segment of the British public can no longer marry a non EU foreigner (well they can marry but they cant live together in the UK at least). You have to be in a very stable job (which in todays world is not so easy - I seem to change my job through no real fault of my own about every six months) or you have to be rich. People on the low end of the pay scales simply cant marry a foreigner and live together in the UK. That is just wrong. Now I am hoping to move back from the US this summer with 3 kids and a USC wife. I am luckier than a lot. I have managed to cash in a 401K pension (at great cost I might add) and use some savings that my dad had given to my kids and some money my dad left me when he died last year and just have enough in savings. You too are close in savings. You must know enough people that can "gift" you the difference. Personally I don't mind you coming on here an moaning about it. But you have to accept what it is and if you want to move back home with your family you probably can. Some can't. Once home we all need to contact our member of parliament and let them know how wrong this all is. Also encourage our family and friends in the UK to do likewise. Good luck to you. Good luck all. And again thanks to all who contribute to this forum. Its a huge help.
Cheers
Nigel

Thanks Nigel for your support. I hope you and your family get back ok.
My parents and inlaws are all retired so not sure if they have enough savings to lend us some money. We have just started investigating so it might be a possibility.
I have had a stable job here for almost 9 years with an american company but this appears to count for nothing.

I am very concerned about my son missing first terms at primary school.
I can't see us getting it all together before Sep term starts.
he is bilingual (spanish/english) but needs his English reinforced at school as he is living in a Spanish environment right now. Missing his first terms will put him at a disadvantage all again thanks to the UK government!!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The rules about £18,600 a year are iniquitous. make as much moise as you can and direct it towards an MP. Get friends and family to do the same.

I am not personally affected but I have friends who are.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hi alfista,
You shouldn't worry too much about your boy. He's very young and if he misses a bit of school at this age it wont matter much in the long term. He will catch up quickly. You have to be realistic. It sounds to me like it will be more like the end of the year before you will be able to move back going the savings route.
Cheers
Nigel
Old Jan 31st 2014, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ncoomber
Hi alfista,
You shouldn't worry too much about your boy. He's very young and if he misses a bit of school at this age it wont matter much in the long term. He will catch up quickly. You have to be realistic. It sounds to me like it will be more like the end of the year before you will be able to move back going the savings route.
Cheers
Nigel
Thanks Nigel for the support. Yes you are right.
I think it will be at the earliest Christmas time before we're ready to go through the savings route.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:47 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Point taken, so maybe I should have said: ".... The rules, though brutal, are intended to minimise the risk that your wife will become stranded in the UK with no access to public assistance. ...."
I know may be considered an off-topic nitpick, but the above statement is not correct. The new spouse rules are not designed with an aim of preventing a non-EEA spouse of a British citizen from being "stranded in the UK with no access to public funds".

If the non-EEA partner living in the UK on a spouse visa is divorced or separated from the UKC who sponsored the spouse visa, this must be reported to UKBA by the UKC sponsor. A decision is made by UKBA on a case-by-case basis as to whether the visa will be changed or cancelled.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...tionship-ends/

If on the other hand the UKC sponsor dies, the non-EEA spouse can immediately apply for ILR on that basis, and thus become eligible for 'public funds'.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...aved-partners/

In my opinion, there is very little/no possibility for any non-EEA spouse on a spouse visa to be "stranded" in the UK with no support. This did not happen when the financial requirement was substantively lower (before 9 July 2012) and it will not happen now. The UK visa system has from its beginnings prevented such an occurrence (as does the visa systems in most developed nations).

No, the new rules have a very different aim. I absolutely agree with Rebeccajo when she said back on p.1 of this thread that the new rules are designed to lower the numbers of non-EEA citizens coming to settle in the UK. If these people are spouses of UKCs that's too bad. That's all--it's the only goal, that the numbers drop.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 31st 2014 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

That is very depressing to read, WEBlue but I believe you are correct. We are applying in the next week or two and I am keeping a very open mind. We will have done our best to do everything correctly but, if we are refused, I will not be surprised.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
..... No, the new rules have a very different aim. I absolutely agree with Rebeccajo when she said back on p.1 of this thread that the new rules are designed to lower the numbers of non-EEA citizens coming to settle in the UK. If these people are spouses of UKCs that's too bad. That's all--it's the only goal, that the numbers drop.
Respectfully, I disagree. The income threshold is extremely low. I was earning more than 80% of the minimum more than 25 years ago labouring in a warehouse, just a few years later my "career" employer was hiring new graduates on starting salaries within £1,000 of the minimum. Hëll, there are families on benefits getting more!
Originally Posted by scot47
The rules about £18,600 a year are iniquitous. make as much noise as you can and direct it towards an MP. Get friends and family to do the same. .....
I might just do that!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2014 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Respectfully, I disagree. The income threshold is extremely low. I was earning more than 80% of the minimum more than 25 years ago labouring in a warehouse, just a few years later my "career" employer was hiring new graduates on starting salaries within £1,000 of the minimum. Hëll, there are families on benefits getting more!

I might just do that!
It's not the income threshold which is the problem.
It's the fact that you have to have been earning this for six months before you can apply for a visa for your spouse! In a lot of cases this means being a long time away from your family!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
It's not the income threshold which is the problem.
It's the fact that you have to have been earning this for six months before you can apply for a visa for your spouse! In a lot of cases this means being a long time away from your family!
That's interesting, because most seem to complain about the required income level and the alternative savings level. But you'll survive the separation.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2014 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's interesting, because most seem to complain about the required income level and the alternative savings level. But you'll survive the separation.
Oh for sure the savings route is Rediculous!
Most uk citizens are struggling to save enough to put a downpayment on a new house.

But we'll try and put together the savings as I do not want my son at 3 years of age to be without his dad for so long.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 10:47 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, lucky you.... Seriously.

Come back in 20 years and tell me you feel the same way when they've raised the financial requirement bar still higher, and your newly graduated children are wondering how they can sponsor a non-EEA partner when they want to move to the UK.

Last edited by WEBlue; Jan 31st 2014 at 11:12 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's not so much the minimum salary threshold that is the problem rather that:

a) the rules require six months at this level which in a country with far lower wages makes this either impossible or requires six months of separation

and (probably most seriously and discriminatingly)

b) that the non-British spouse's earnings are not taken into consideration. If you're a stay-at-home British mother looking after two small children then your husband could be earning £100,000+ a year with an equivalent job offer in the UK and you still wouldn't qualify.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:26 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis

a) the rules require six months at this level which in a country with far lower wages makes this either impossible or requires six months of separation

b) that the non-British spouse's earnings are not taken into consideration. If you're a stay-at-home British mother looking after two small children then your husband could be earning £100,000+ a year with an equivalent job offer in the UK and you still wouldn't qualify.
I have always thought that the savings supplement in the rules is rubbish and nothing like real life. Most people have some savings to fall back on. To set the bar so high in order to offset lower earnings is nothing short of elitest. It just further illustrates how out of touch the government is to how people really live. But then, the rules are offensive and elitest to many of us who have always worked hard. The rules assume that everyone is a benefit scrounger. There is no allowance for taking care of yourself and your family modestly.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis

You hit the nail on the head there.
All the developing countries that have wages far below this threshold like uruguay are being discriminated against. I have no chance in a million years making that amount here with my non-eu wife.

The threshold should vary depending on the country you are bringing your spouse from.

I consider our savings to be substantial but not in the eyes of the uk.
We've been working hard and saving for years.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I have always thought that the savings supplement in the rules is rubbish and nothing like real life. Most people have some savings to fall back on. To set the bar so high in order to offset lower earnings is nothing short of elitest. It just further illustrates how out of touch the government is to how people really live. But then, the rules are offensive and elitest to many of us who have always worked hard. The rules assume that everyone is a benefit scrounger. There is no allowance for taking care of yourself and your family modestly.
Well, as we know, it's got very little to do with preventing additional benefit claimants and everything to do with reducing net migration to under 100,000 per annum by the next election regardless of the human cost. The government's appeal against the High Court ruling will be heard at the beginning of March so we'll see what happens then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.