uk/us couples please read!

Old Jan 21st 2003, 5:43 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Sheila - yes, it is a shame to be so far away, it would be lovely to meet up with some people from the NG. Mardi Gras sounds fun!

Michael - Thanks for sharing your wedding pictures! I love Kristen's outfit, I wonder if she would share where she purchased it from?

It is so nice to hear people's news and see their pictures.

Take care,

Debbie
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 3:10 am
Jadm

Default Re: uk/us couples please read!

anyone wishing to be penpals please feel free to email us as we do not
know ANY other couples such us us here or anywhere!
Deb & John (US/UK), Florida

Old Jan 23rd 2003, 5:58 pm
Misplaced Mackem

We're a US/UK couple in Ohio.

I'm originaly from Durham in NE England, currently in Southern Ohio on
a H1-B with my wife who is a Greater Cincinnati local.

Should be filing for AOS etc once we've got the Various fees together
so I'm lurking these boards for Advice and Info.

Drew

Old Jan 23rd 2003, 6:12 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you at in FL?
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Muki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

We are in CA. I am from Scotland and Hubbie is from LA.
I am going thru a wee bout of homesickness and this NG lets me not I,m not alone.

Cheers
Muki
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

It's surprising how many miswestern couples there are! I'm 25, from Indianapolis. Greg is 29, from Exeter, Devon, UK, now living in London. We met in Australia-we always joke we had to go all the way around the world to find each other in Australia!

Would love to have a big midwestern get together soon !
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

loveabrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default yes

Originally posted by beyness
It's surprising how many miswestern couples there are! I'm 25, from Indianapolis. Greg is 29, from Exeter, Devon, UK, now living in London. We met in Australia-we always joke we had to go all the way around the world to find each other in Australia!

Would love to have a big midwestern get together soon !

I'm only 400 hundreds from ya in Ohio! I would love to meet up with all of you in Indiana and Michigan...
sounds good to me...my fiance' has to get here first though!
Old Jan 23rd 2003, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: yes

Originally posted by loveabrit
I'm only 400 hundreds from ya in Ohio! I would love to meet up with all of you in Indiana and Michigan...
sounds good to me...my fiance' has to get here first though!
Mine too!
Old Jan 24th 2003, 5:40 am
Sheila

Clive is from Exeter Devon Also Beyness!! He's 32 and I am 31 from
Louisiana. Were hoping to make a move to Baton Rouge soon. He's got an
interview tomorrow (fingers crossed) he's been here almost 5 months now and
going crazy without work. He's getting homesick also. We met this lady named
Susan while eating out in Lafayette and she is from England, I thought they
would never stop talking. I could see a different kind of happiness in his
face. This was a couple of weeks ago and she has been a blessing. We went
over and met her husband last night and ended up staying over. They were so
opposite, but got alone awesome. 28 years they have been together. She made
Clive some chocolate pudding and custard (aka: chocolate cake with vanilla
like pudding...lol) and it was lovely. Made us feel at home and Clive feel
like he's not alone here. If Clive gets this job in Baton Rouge her husband
runs appartments there and already has us set up 5 minutes from them. She
said she's our new mom and not to worry her and Gerald know what were going
through and will be there to help. Now how great is that? I'm going and
visit with her tomorrow while Clive interviews...All I meant by this post
was that it really does help our foreign spouse's to have someone to talk to
from there own country in the flesh. And Gerald and I laugh about how
different it was for us living in England. So really it's great for both of
us...A Blessing they are.....

"beyness" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > It's surprising how many miswestern couples there are! I'm 25, from
    > Indianapolis. Greg is 29, from Exeter, Devon, UK, now living in London.
    > We met in Australia-we always joke we had to go all the way around the
    > world to find each other in Australia!
    > Would love to have a big midwestern get together soon !
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 24th 2003, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default us/uk couples

I guess I feel really lucky! I came to england 6 1/2 years ago on a fiance' visa (similar to what many in the group are doing now, but I entered UK). Got married 6 days before my 25th birthday. Hubby was still 22!! We've been living together in Sheffield (the Steel city!!) since, and are doing DCF in London, so fortunately we wont have to do the "apart" scenario! If only for briefly while I travel ahead of him to set up a flat or house. We are doing the Texas thang. We both are going insane waiting for time to pass in our favor so he can come to the US.
Old Jan 24th 2003, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

peachpetal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jadm
anyone wishing to be penpals please feel free to email us as we do not
know ANY other couples such us us here or anywhere!
Deb & John (US/UK), Florida
Hi Jadm
We are a US/UK couple in Chicago, IL...actually I'm here and he's here...on a visit! We're awaiting approval from Nebraska and it seems we will remain waiting for at least another couple of months! I take it both of you are happily enjoying life in Florida! Nice and hot out there, huh? Well, if you want to write more let me know!
Old Jan 26th 2003, 5:05 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by loveabrit
I just wanted you all to know that I am planning our wedding to reflect the UK/US theme!
I'm interested in doing a US/UK theme for our wedding, too, and wanted to pass along something I'm thinking of using. When Mark was here last, we went to Colonial Williamsburg for a few days. I stumbled across a brochure (which I saved) and got an idea!!

On the front of the brochure is an image of what looks like a hybrid of a US flag and a Union Jack. That is, the flag has red & white stripes, but instead of a blue field with stars, there is a Union Jack instead. I did some searching online and discovered this is called the "Grand Union" flag.

The "Grand Union" is considered to be the first flag of the United States, created and authorized by the 2nd Continental Congress in 1775. Its design was chosen to symbolize both the 13 original colonies (the 13 stripes), as well as the colonies' ties to Great Britain (the Union Jack).

(Ironically, the "Grand Union" was the official flag of the 13 American colonies on July 4, 1776, when they declared independence from Great Britain. A flag consisting of stars and stripes wasn't used until 1777.)

What better way to symbolize the union of an American and a Briton than this flag?!

To my surprise, I found several online flag shops that sell the Grand Union flag. If you do a bit of digging, you can find some that offer it in a variety of sizes, from 4x6 inch to 3x5 feet. (Note: I cannot vouch for any of these vendors!)

Since my wedding will be very small -- under 15 people -- if I do decide to use this flag for my US/UK theme, I'd probably only get one 3x5 foot flag. It would be nice to hang as a backdrop to where Mark and I stand to say our vows (wherever that ends up being -- haven't gotten that far yet!). Plus, we can continue to use it for years to come.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this little idea along, as I found it really cool, and interesting from a historical perspective as well...

~ Jenney
Old Jan 26th 2003, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

sal_whit will become famous soon enoughsal_whit will become famous soon enough

Hi Jenney

Just looked up that Flag!!!!! Its a great idea....
Have you any web pages where I can look at prices etc!!!

Sal
Old Jan 26th 2003, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

loveabrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
"Grand Union" flag.
~ Jenney
Thank you so much...I have been looking for something like this forever!
You are a life saver!
Thanks-T.
Old Jan 26th 2003, 10:17 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sal_whit
Hi Jenney

Just looked up that Flag!!!!! Its a great idea....
Have you any web pages where I can look at prices etc!!!

Sal
Thanks! I thought some of you would find that as cool as I did.

As for flag vendors, there seems to be a hodge-podge of them around online. As I personally haven't used any of them, I hesitate to list any specifically by name. (Plus, there are a lot out there!)

My best suggestion is to do an online search using the key words "grand union flag." When I did this in Yahoo, at least half of the results were of links to flag vendors. Most of them sell the 3x5 foot version, while a couple sell smaller ones as well.

The prices vary -- I saw one 3x5 foot for as little as $10, while other vendors sell them for a lot more (like $45). The price mostly depends on the material that is used to make the flag -- polyester is good for indoor display, but if you want to display the flag outdoors, nylon is a better (and thus more expensive) way to go. In that sense, it just depends whether you plan to use the flag just for your wedding day, or more long-term.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.