Uk then USA

Old Oct 24th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Zoe Michael is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Uk then USA

Hi ,
So I'm new to all of this and would like some general advice about the best way to do things would be , I am British, my partner is from USA, we been seeing each other and talking everyday now for over 2 years. we really want to start a life together but are facing so many obstacles, we have paid for legal advice from different places and we just seem to be throwing money away, left right and centre and not getting any further forward.
My partner applied for a 6 month visitor visa and was refused, he was supposed to stay with me for my summer holidays off work and longer. We didn't foresee any problems with his application. long story short , he visited me for 9 days despite his refusal with a letter from my MP and was interrogated at airport by 6 officers for 3 hours and only given a months visa.
the thing is because I have 3 children ,(teenagers) I cant just up and leave and go to America and 2 of my children have liver conditions. We want to be together and our thoughts were if he initially came and stayed with me while my children are still younger in say 5-10 years time ,I would move back to America with him.
I have had a lot of emoitional trauma in the last year. not being able to be together has impacted also and a few weeks ago my face dropped and I thought id had a stroke, doctor said it was due to stress.
My earnings are not enough to sponsor him, they are £17100, although he has $30000 dollars in savings. I just don't see how we can do it. I have applied for other jobs on top of mine but fear I may burn out .
Is there another way we can apply without reachimg the £18600 criteria?

Also I fear because they have rejected him already he will keep being rejected. He's proved to them that he is honest and left when he said he would, within the 30 days. We want everything above board, we will do what we have to because we love each other and want to be together. We just feel we are being unfairly treated.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 3:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk then USA

If your goal is to have him move to the UK, you've posted on the wrong forum. This onger is for folks moving to the USA. I am moving your thread to the "Moving back to the UK" forum.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2017, 3:36 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Zoe

Your post is about sponsoring your 'partner' to the UK and you posted it here in the USA immigration forum. I am asking that it be redirected to the UK immigration section in the "Moving Back To The UK" forum.

All your questions about the financial requirements for sponsorship will be answered there.

Thank you, Rene. We crossed posted.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Michael
Hi ,
So I'm new to all of this and would like some general advice about the best way to do things would be , I am British, my partner is from USA, we been seeing each other and talking everyday now for over 2 years. we really want to start a life together but are facing so many obstacles, we have paid for legal advice from different places and we just seem to be throwing money away, left right and centre and not getting any further forward.
My partner applied for a 6 month visitor visa and was refused, he was supposed to stay with me for my summer holidays off work and longer. We didn't foresee any problems with his application. long story short , he visited me for 9 days despite his refusal with a letter from my MP and was interrogated at airport by 6 officers for 3 hours and only given a months visa.
the thing is because I have 3 children ,(teenagers) I cant just up and leave and go to America and 2 of my children have liver conditions. We want to be together and our thoughts were if he initially came and stayed with me while my children are still younger in say 5-10 years time ,I would move back to America with him.
I have had a lot of emoitional trauma in the last year. not being able to be together has impacted also and a few weeks ago my face dropped and I thought id had a stroke, doctor said it was due to stress.
My earnings are not enough to sponsor him, they are £17100, although he has $30000 dollars in savings. I just don't see how we can do it. I have applied for other jobs on top of mine but fear I may burn out .
Is there another way we can apply without reachimg the £18600 criteria?

Also I fear because they have rejected him already he will keep being rejected. He's proved to them that he is honest and left when he said he would, within the 30 days. We want everything above board, we will do what we have to because we love each other and want to be together. We just feel we are being unfairly treated.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Just thinking outside the box but what about a move to Ireland. There are many options depending what you want. If he could work/live in the Republic and you live in the North to remain in Britain or you both live in the Republic for now? Any option will at least mean you are together and have easy access to UK (kids health conditions).

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 24th 2017 at 3:44 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can use his savings (30K USD) to make up the shortfall in your income.

You as the Brit sponsor must show you meet the financial requirements , but you can use his, yours or joint savings.

You earn 17,100 which is 1,500 short of 18,600.

Therefore you need to have 19,750 GBP in savings (1,500 x 2.5 = 3,750 GBP Plus 16,000 GBP = 19,750 GBP)

30,000 dollars = 22,800 GBP, so this, together with your earnings, will meet the financial requirements.

In addition to the financial requirements you will need around 2K GBP for visa fees, etc.

With a refusal on his record you will need to have all your ducks in a row for the application; financial, accommodation and relationship evidence.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

What you need to show for financial requirements is all in the document below:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Are you married?

I think to sponsor your "partner" for a visa to live in the UK you either need to be married or to be able to prove that you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage for at least (I think) 12 months, and from what you have posted the latter isn't true, and you have no way to make it true.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Are you married?

I think to sponsor your "partner" for a visa to live in the UK you either need to be married or to be able to prove that you have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage for at least (I think) 12 months, and from what you have posted the latter isn't true, and you have no way to make it true.
My suggestions above would allow then to go the fiance visa, then spouse route. Fiance visa gives them 6 months to get married and then they apply for the spouse visa. More expensive I know.

They could, alternatively, get a quickie marriage in the US, she returns to UK and they then apply for the spouse visa.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Oct 24th 2017 at 4:49 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Oh good point..... all my suggestions were based on them being married ...!!

They could get married in the US
I seriously wish that people would stop using "partner" to obfuscate whether or not they are married! It just makes every thread (where "partner" is used) a page longer while we all debate whether they are married, what the implications are, and hopefully get accurate and specific information so we can give accurate and specific advice!
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It does sound like you have been wasting your money. Did you pay someone to recommend your partner apply for a visitor visa? As a US citizen your partner didn't need to apply for a visa before visiting the UK for up to six months. By applying for a visa he put himself under an unnecessarily level of scrutiny which lead to his refusal.

It sounds like you met and have been communicating online? As you haven't lived together in a defacto relationship for at least two years the Home Office will need you to marry before your partner qualifies for a spouse/partner visa. You can save time and money by marrying in the US and applying directly for a spouse visa rather than going through the extra hoop of obtaining a fiancé visa.

SanDiegogirl has given you some excellent advice on how you can combine your salary and your partner's savings to meet the financial requirements.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

ok sorry I'm very new to this .
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Just thinking outside the box but what about a move to Ireland. There are many options depending what you want. If he could work/live in the Republic and you live in the North to remain in Britain or you both live in the Republic for now? Any option will at least mean you are together and have easy access to UK (kids health conditions).
I wouldn't even know where to begin with that, Moses but I appreciate the suggestion and may look into it.Thank you
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If your goal is to have him move to the UK, you've posted on the wrong forum. This onger is for folks moving to the USA. I am moving your thread to the "Moving back to the UK" forum.

Rene
ok , sorry about that still navigating my way around.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

No we are not married but we intend to marry.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Zoe Michael
No we are not married but we intend to marry.
That really needs to be your first step (unless you decide to apply for a fiancé visa), otherwise there really isn't a way forward for you.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It does sound like you have been wasting your money. Did you pay someone to recommend your partner apply for a visitor visa? As a US citizen your partner didn't need to apply for a visa before visiting the UK for up to six months. By applying for a visa he put himself under an unnecessarily level of scrutiny which lead to his refusal.

It sounds like you met and have been communicating online? As you haven't lived together in a defacto relationship for at least two years the Home Office will need you to marry before your partner qualifies for a spouse/partner visa. You can save time and money by marrying in the US and applying directly for a spouse visa rather than going through the extra hoop of obtaining a fiancé visa.

SanDiegogirl has given you some excellent advice on how you can combine your salary and your partner's savings to meet the financial requirements.
yes we were advised that if he came and intended to stay for more than 3 months he could be refused entry but if he obtained a visitor visa he could stay for up to 6 months.
We ended up shooting ourselves in the foot. We paid for advice over the phone £40 pounds for 15 minute call that did nothing, we tried contacting the British embassy in New York and paid a lot of money in phone calls to be sent around in circles, we paid solicitors over £300 pounds for nothing so far and spent more than $1000 dollars with his visa applications and changing his flights which we had already booked . as he had been before to visit and left but just for 2 weeks.. We thought it would be straight forward. I have been over there 4 times now and he has come to the uk twice. Its just very expensive , also with my children it makes it difficult for me to leave for long periods of time.

Thank you for all your advice it has been very insightful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.