UK spouse visa - time limit for entry

Old Mar 18th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

BritishIndia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK spouse visa - time limit for entry

I am in the process of applying for a UK family visa for my wife (initial entry clearance) who is based out of India. It would be kind of you if you could provide answers to my following questions:
  1. I understand that the initial entry clearance / visa is granted for a period of 2.5 years. Is there also a specific date (e.g. mentioned on the visa) within which my wife must enter the UK? If so, generally what is the time period available?
  2. In case she enters the UK around 2 months after the visa is granted, in that case, does this affect the granting of her ILR at the end of the 5 year period, as she would be short of 5 years by a few months? I just wanted to understand how this whole process works so that she can be prepared to travel accordingly.
Your help would be very much appreciated.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 11:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse visa - time limit for entry

If applying outside the UK then your wife's vignette will give her a 30 day window to enter the UK. The 30 day window will start from the entry date you give or the date the visa is granted, whichever is later. You can select a date up to six months in advance. Once in the UK she'll need to pick up her Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) which is valid for 2.5 years.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your kind response. I was under the impression that the travel/entry date we mention in the UK spouse visa application form should be maximum 3 months from the date of application submission. Can you kindly reconfirm that providing a travel date 6 months away is acceptable?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 3:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishIndia
Thank you very much for your kind response. I was under the impression that the travel/entry date we mention in the UK spouse visa application form should be maximum 3 months from the date of application submission. Can you kindly reconfirm that providing a travel date 6 months away is acceptable?
If the system allows you to do so then it's fine. It used be three months but was extended to six months, presumably due to the processing backlog.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 5:59 am
Just Joined

I need some help from you regarding the appropriate date / time period for submitting the application of my wife's family spouse visa, given that there is only a 30 day travel window.

My situation is as below:
1. We are a family of 3 (wife, 2 months old child and myself)
2. I have a Right of Abode Certificate of Entitlement stamping in my Indian passport. I will be travelling alone to the UK later this month with the intention of permanently settling there.
3. I applied for a Right of Abode Certificate of Entitlement stamping in my daughter's passport yesterday at VFS in India (she qualifies for British Citizenship by descent). I understand that this may take anything between a few weeks to a few months to obtain.
4. I would like to apply for my wife's family spouse visa, as soon as possible (of course after I reach the UK later this month, so that I can produce the relevant sponsorship, financial and accommodation documents)
5. Once both my daughter and wife's stamping has been obtained, I will return to India and we will travel together to the UK.

Now my question is: Once I reach the UK, should I wait to receive my daughter's Right of Abode stamping before applying for my wife's family spouse visa - so that there is no risk of my wife's visa's 30 day travel windows expiring before the former is received? Otherwise, is there any way to request UKVI when submitting my wife's visa application that they provide a start date which coincides (or is perhaps a week or so later than) my daughter's Right of Abode stamping validity start date?

You kind response would be very much appreciated.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 10:05 am

Wait until your daughter has her Certificate of Entitlement before you submit your wife’s application.
Old Apr 17th 2019, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your kind response.

I have a question regarding the supporting document submission process for the UK Family spouse visa:

Here is the VFS link I have referred to in this regard: https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/in/en/va...ting-documents
I would prefer that the applicant (my wife) submits the documents at VFS India along with her passport and application form (so that we can finish the process in one go). This VFS site, mentions that the ‘Document Scanning Assistance’ service is available at VFS in my city (Pune, India): https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/in/en/pr...ing-assistance

However, I read in another forum (https://www.immigrationboards.com/im...g-t276546.html) that VFS at another city in India (Hyderabad) did not accept the supporting documents and requested the applicant to send the documents to the sponsor to submit them in the UK.

Can you kindly advise whether we should plan to submit the supporting documents at VFS, Pune (by using the ‘Document Scanning Assistance’ service) or should I plan to submit these in person in the UK? What is the better option in your opinion?
Old Apr 17th 2019, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I need some help from you regarding the appropriate date / time period for submitting the application of my wife's family spouse visa, given that there is only a 30 day travel window.

4. I would like to apply for my wife's family spouse visa, as soon as possible (of course after I reach the UK later this month, so that I can produce the relevant sponsorship, financial and accommodation documents)

You kind response would be very much appreciated.

How are you qualifying under the financial requirements? If you have returned to the UK and have a new job you will have to have 6 months of financial proof of earning 18,600 GBP before applying for the visa.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 1:17 am
Just Joined

I will be travelling to UK later this month. I am working with an Indian employer who is deputing me to the UK on a long term basis. For the last 6 months of financial proof, I will be showing pay slips of the first couple of months of salaried income in India followed by my UK salary. On a monthly basis, both my Indian salary and offered UK salary are meeting the minimum financial requirements. Can you kindly confirm if this approach I have mentioned is acceptable?

I would appreciate if you could also kindly answer my question on submission of supporting documents:

I have a question regarding the supporting document submission process for the UK Family spouse visa:

Here is the VFS link I have referred to in this regard: https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/in/en/va...ting-documents
I would prefer that the applicant (my wife) submits the documents at VFS India along with her passport and application form (so that we can finish the process in one go). This VFS site, mentions that the ‘Document Scanning Assistance’ service is available at VFS in my city (Pune, India): https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/in/en/pr...ing-assistance

However, I read in another forum (https://www.immigrationboards.com/im...g-t276546.html) that VFS at another city in India (Hyderabad) did not accept the supporting documents and requested the applicant to send the documents to the sponsor to submit them in the UK.

Can you kindly advise whether we should plan to submit the supporting documents at VFS, Pune (by using the ‘Document Scanning Assistance’ service) or should I plan to submit these in person in the UK? What is the better option in your opinion?
​​​​​​​

Last edited by BritishIndia; Apr 18th 2019 at 1:18 am. Reason: Added quote
Old May 16th 2019, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
How are you qualifying under the financial requirements? If you have returned to the UK and have a new job you will have to have 6 months of financial proof of earning 18,600 GBP before applying for the visa.
The way I intend to fulfill the financial requirement is as below:
  1. I will be filling up part 3A. As at the time of my spouse visa application, I will have been in UK for a little over a month, I will be applying under category B. I understand from Appendix FM that there is no minimum period of this current employment, provided that the stated financial requirements are being met under category B.
  2. I have been deputed to the UK by my Indian employer. I gather that deputation to the UK office of my employer needs to be considered as a fresh employer in the UK for the purpose of the visa application.
  3. I will be showing that my salary in the first month of employment in the UK meets the required gross annual income requirements (by multiplying by 12)
  4. I will be showing that my total salaried income in the last 12 months meets the required gross annual income (by aggregating 11 months of Indian and 1 month of UK gross income)
Can you kindly confirm that my understanding of category B under 3A is correct? Please let me know if there is something that I am missing, as I will be applying for my wife's visa within 2 months of landing in the UK.
Old May 16th 2019, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The way I intend to fulfill the financial requirement is as below:
  1. I will be filling up part 3A. As at the time of my spouse visa application, I will have been in UK for a little over a month, I will be applying under category B. I understand from Appendix FM that there is no minimum period of this current employment, provided that the stated financial requirements are being met under category B.
  2. I have been deputed to the UK by my Indian employer. I gather that deputation to the UK office of my employer needs to be considered as a fresh employer in the UK for the purpose of the visa application.
  3. I will be showing that my salary in the first month of employment in the UK meets the required gross annual income requirements (by multiplying by 12)
  4. I will be showing that my total salaried income in the last 12 months meets the required gross annual income (by aggregating 11 months of Indian and 1 month of UK gross income)
Can you kindly confirm that my understanding of category B under 3A is correct? Please let me know if there is something that I am missing, as I will be applying for my wife's visa within 2 months of landing in the UK.
If you are applying under Section 5.3 of Appendix FM 1.7 - 5.3. Category B: Less than 6 months with current employer or variable income – person residing in the UK - then your evidence, as set out from 1 to 4 above, is correct.

Note: You should include contract/.letter of employment for employment in UK as part of your bundle, together with payslips, bank statements etc.
Old May 17th 2019, 5:37 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your confirmation that I can apply for my wife's visa within 6 months of landing in the UK.
As suggested, for the UK part of my employment I will be attaching my payslips and bank statements. I had some question around the UK deputation letter (contract of employment) provided by my Indian employer:
  1. My UK deputation letter mentions that my period of contract is up to December 2019 and may be extended depending on the need. (The letter further mentions that if my contract in the UK does not get extended, I need to return to India and continue working for my employer there. It does not say that I will be out of employment). If I attach this document, will it lead to any concerns on my ability to meet future financial needs in the UK?
  2. Would it make sense to mention in my covering letter that I intend to stay in the UK even after my current contract in the UK ends and if required I will change my job to continue here etc.? If not, is there any other alternative?
Awaiting your kind response and suggestions.
Old May 17th 2019, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thank you for your confirmation that I can apply for my wife's visa within 6 months of landing in the UK.
As suggested, for the UK part of my employment I will be attaching my payslips and bank statements. I had some question around the UK deputation letter (contract of employment) provided by my Indian employer:
  1. My UK deputation letter mentions that my period of contract is up to December 2019 and may be extended depending on the need. (The letter further mentions that if my contract in the UK does not get extended, I need to return to India and continue working for my employer there. It does not say that I will be out of employment). If I attach this document, will it lead to any concerns on my ability to meet future financial needs in the UK?
  2. Would it make sense to mention in my covering letter that I intend to stay in the UK even after my current contract in the UK ends and if required I will change my job to continue here etc.? If not, is there any other alternative?
Awaiting your kind response and suggestions.
Personally, I would not bring attention to the letter. It covers the financial requirements criteria for entry to the UK and what may or may not happen 6 months from now is largely irrelevant.
Old May 26th 2019, 10:59 am
Just Joined

I had a question on the copy of the sponsor's passport that needs to be submitted as a supporting document for my wife's visa application. I already have a certified copy of the non-blank pages of my Indian passport containing my Right of Abode Certificate of Entitlement (excluding the page that has the exit stamping done at the airport when I left India). Do I need to get a fresh certified copy of all pages (including blank pages) for submitting with my wife's visa application or is the one I already have fine to go ahead with?
Awaiting your kind response.
Old May 26th 2019, 11:02 am

I had a question on the copy of the sponsor's passport that needs to be submitted as a supporting document for my wife's visa application. I already have a certified copy of the non-blank pages of my Indian passport containing my Right of Abode Certificate of Entitlement (excluding the page that has the exit stamping done at the airport when I left India). Do I need to get a fresh certified copy of all pages (including blank pages) for submitting with my wife's visa application or is the one I already have fine to go ahead with?
Awaiting your kind response.
Go with what you have.