UK Spouse Visa received, now back in the UK

Old Sep 12th 2016, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

ruri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Spouse Visa received, now back in the UK

Originally Posted by JulesBlayney
Hi ruri

I'm a newbie so please pardon my questions :-)

Congrats on your spousal visa! Trust living in the UK is exactly as you imagined it to be!

I noticed that you used to live in Malaysia and that you used VFS Global to assist/apply. I'm Singaporean .... Hubby and I have been here 21 years and are hoping to move to the UK.

How did VFS help with the application? Were they any good?

I've searched online and found a couple of UK-based immigration service agencies (assume they're solicitors). Not sure if that's the best route to take.

Any advice, thoughts much appreciated!

Jules
Hi Jules, how are you doing? Sorry for the late reply, had a busy but fun weekend with my little family.

VFS global did not actually assist or help me with the visa application preparation. My husband and I did everything on our own. VFS in KL was where I had my biometric appointment and also where I had to hand over my completed supporting documents for them to send it to the UK visa centre in Manila, Philippines. I paid for a prime appointment so I didn't have to queue and also had everything done by one staff in a separate private room. We also paid for the priority service to get the result of the application within 10 days. Quite expensive but was all worth it following the success of our application.

My husband did try to get some help from a solicitor back here in the UK but then stopped because whatever she knew and helps she gave were what we pretty much already knew and doing at that time.

Since you and your hubby been in Singapore for 21 years I assume that you are going to apply for the spouse visa through the saving route?

Before you send and pay for the application, make sure you have gathered every supporting document required and also if you have questions at all, doesn't matter how many, just post and ask the members in this forum. It was what I did and as I said in the post, I couldn't have done it well without the help of many members here.

Just ask if you have anymore question

Have a great day x
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

JulesBlayney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again ruri

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I've just started looking at the immigration site so have yet to figure out how best to deal with this. So I reckon you'll be "seeing" more of me 😆

Can I just clarify: how long did you have to wait for the results from the time you submitted the documents to VFS? And how long once you got the answer that you left for the UK?

We're actually living in KL .... Have been here since 1995 so submission to VFS Malaysia would be the best option.

Glad you're enjoying life in the UK!

All the best,
Jules
Old Sep 12th 2016, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again ruri

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I've just started looking at the immigration site so have yet to figure out how best to deal with this. So I reckon you'll be "seeing" more of me 😆

Can I just clarify: how long did you have to wait for the results from the time you submitted the documents to VFS? And how long once you got the answer that you left for the UK?

We're actually living in KL .... Have been here since 1995 so submission to VFS Malaysia would be the best option.

Glad you're enjoying life in the UK!

All the best,
Jules
You are welcome Jules

Since we paid for the priority service, we only had to wait a little over a week including weekend to get my passport/documents back with the visa stamp.

My husband came back to Malaysia (took his annual holiday) during the application and then we flew together back to the UK less than a week after receiving the visa (I explained to the UKVI in my cover letter of my husband's plan to come over to Malaysia during the application and requested the same date as his flight back to the UK as the starting date of my visa if it was granted so we can all travel together). All went well in the end, we were so relieved and happy.

So are you actually a Malaysian or a Singaporean? I'm wondering so I hope you don't mind

Ruri
Old Sep 14th 2016, 9:34 am
Just Joined

JulesBlayney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ruri 😄
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm Singaporean but have been living in KL for 21 years. Hubby was on work permit for a long time and we later switched to MM2H. Now looking at moving to the UK and if we'd done this prior to 2012, I could have just moved there without all this financial debacle as we've been married for a longggggg time.

Jules 😊
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ruri 😄
Thanks for the clarification.

I'm Singaporean but have been living in KL for 21 years. Hubby was on work permit for a long time and we later switched to MM2H. Now looking at moving to the UK and if we'd done this prior to 2012, I could have just moved there without all this financial debacle as we've been married for a longggggg time.

Jules 😊
God, I feel you! My husband and I have been together since 2006 and we just didn't see the change of the visa rules coming until it did! I dunno why we waited until we have a child to get the spouse visa sorted! The financial requirement was such a stress but at least we made it in the end

We were so worried in the beginning because I gave birth to our daughter in Kota Kinabalu but we got her British Passport just after she turned two. That really gave us an extra thing to do and an extra stress to deal with.

Make sure you and your husband are very well informed of all the requirements and its process before proceeding the application since the fees are non-refundable. Read them over and over and have any of your question asked in this forum, everyone will helps you the best they can!

Paying for the priority service was a huge "gamble" for us but we took months to prepare for the application and we were confident that nothing should go wrong. We took almost two weeks to complete the online form too. The most important is take your time, don't rush, and always double check. If you feel anything is not right, then its better to post and ask your question than just guessing. An unsuccessful application will make the next one harder, and that's one thing we want to avoid

Anyway I heard it's raining a lot back in Malaysia! it's been very hot here this week. Hope you guys are having a nice day

Ruri x