UK spouse Visa holder - UK dom status and tax

Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:46 am
Just Joined

dinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK spouse Visa holder - UK dom status and tax

Hi All,

My wife is a Malaysian citizen from birth and I am the British citizen from birth.

We recently got married and are applying for her 33month spouse visa to join me in the UK.

Question 1) My first question relates to her Domicile status (as I understand this will affect her tax position later when she is in the UK).

She obviously is a non UK Dom at the moment as she is still holder of a Malaysian passport and her father is a Malaysian citizen which she naturally inherits at birth.
However when my wife obtains her spouse visa. Will this change anything and will she then be classed as a Non-UK Domicile still or a UK Domicile for tax purposes as she intends to join and stay with me in the UK?

Question 2) Depending on the answer to question 1 above - Once obtained her visa, if she wanted to transfer a large sum of money from her bank account from Malaysia, into the UK, will she be liable for any taxes on what she brings into the UK? And if so does anyone know what the charges or rule’s are on this?

Question 3) Moving forward, should she decide to not work and be a full time house wife whilst in the UK, does it affect how she will get taxed when bringing savings money into the UK from her birth home Malaysia?

Thank you all for any insights into the above. Much appreciated.
Dinoman.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK spouse Visa holder - UK dom status and tax

I think you are confusing domicile with residence. In any case there is no tax due on the transfer of cash savings.