UK Passport Applications for toddler/newborn

Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:26 am
Just Joined

1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all
Default UK Passport Applications for toddler/newborn

Hi All,
After spending 12 years in the US, my wife (USC) and I are looking to move back to the UK sometime towards the end of the year. One of the many document hurdles we need to overcome is getting a first UK passport for my 20 month old son.

Hopefully its a straightforward question that one of the many gurus here will be able to answer, but I am at a dead-end on it for some reason...when looking at the supporting documents for 'Applying for a Passport from outside of the UK' group 1 lists the passport types - I assume we need option 2 - "First British Passport". But do we look at the row "Born after 1 July 2006", or "When you have been naturalized or registered as British"? We registered his birth with the British Consulate in 2012 so does that mean his application will qualify using the second classification? That seems to be preferable as it is asking for less documentation (i.e. no parent's documents required)?

Any clarifications/confirmations would make a flustered dad very happy! Thanks!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 7:45 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport Applications for toddler/newborn

Registering as a British citizen is not the same procedure as registering a birth at a British embassy so it's the first option you want. Providing you have a consular birth certificate for your son then you still won't need to supply the parents' documents.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Providing you have a consular birth certificate for your son then you still won't need to supply the parents' documents.
Only if the consular birth certificate states that the father is British otherwise than by descent. Which I doubt it does, but I've never seen one.

They are asking for parents' documents as they need to verify that you are British otherwise than by descent. The easiest way to do that is to provide a photocopy of the Bio page of your passport stating "British Citizen" and an original copy of your birth certificate (available online from the GRO) showing you were born in the UK. They don't really need the Mum's documents if she's American (but I think we send a photocopy of my non-BC wife's bio page when applying for our son's first passport, can't really remember)
Old Feb 18th 2014, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going through the same.
my local embassy doesn't provide any documentation so I am translating his spanish birth certificate locally by a certified translator and sending that, I am the father British other than by descent, I believe they check that with just the passport number.
When I called they said I didn't need to send in any copies of my certificates, just my passport number on the form!

Also I need to send in his Uruguayan passport (don't know why!) and they'll return it.

part online from overseas, then need the countersignatory (I have someone in UK), then hopefully all should be ok!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 5:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Only if the consular birth certificate states that the father is British otherwise than by descent. Which I doubt it does, but I've never seen one.

They are asking for parents' documents as they need to verify that you are British otherwise than by descent. The easiest way to do that is to provide a photocopy of the Bio page of your passport stating "British Citizen" and an original copy of your birth certificate (available online from the GRO) showing you were born in the UK. They don't really need the Mum's documents if she's American (but I think we send a photocopy of my non-BC wife's bio page when applying for our son's first passport, can't really remember)
Consular birth certificates are only issued to British citizens. It'll state both the parents' and the child's claim to British citizenship under the British Nationality Act 1981. If you have one then you're British. No need to prove it again with your parents' birth certificates, etc.. otherwise it would defeat the purpose in obtaining one.

Originally Posted by alfista1
I'm going through the same.
my local embassy doesn't provide any documentation so I am translating his spanish birth certificate locally by a certified translator and sending that, I am the father British other than by descent, I believe they check that with just the passport number.
When I called they said I didn't need to send in any copies of my certificates, just my passport number on the form!

Also I need to send in his Uruguayan passport (don't know why!) and they'll return it.

part online from overseas, then need the countersignatory (I have someone in UK), then hopefully all should be ok!
If you're applying directly for your child's first British passport without a consular birth certificate you'll need to send your birth certificate and the other required documentation with the application form in. They won't process it with just your passport number unless it's a renewal.

I suspect it's been a long time since anyone processed a British passport application in Montevideo.

Check the GOV.UK website for the latest requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Out of interest how do you plan on getting your countersignatory to sign the form and photos if you're in Uruguay and they're in the UK?
Old Feb 18th 2014, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Consular birth certificates are only issued to British citizens. It'll state both the parents' and the child's claim to British citizenship under the British Nationality Act 1981. If you have one then you're British. No need to prove it again with your parents' birth certificates, etc.. otherwise it would defeat the purpose in obtaining one.

If you're applying directly for your child's first British passport without a consular birth certificate you'll need to send your birth certificate and the other required documentation with the application form in. They won't process it with just your passport number unless it's a renewal.

I suspect it's been a long time since anyone processed a British passport application in Montevideo.

Check the GOV.UK website for the latest requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Out of interest how do you plan on getting your countersignatory to sign the form and photos if you're in Uruguay and they're in the UK?
I have a spare birth certificate here so no problems I can include that.
The docs are going to my parents house and then our friend (coutersignatory)will sign them.
The application goes to plan uk anyway as uruguay do not handle them anymore.

Last edited by alfista1; Feb 18th 2014 at 7:00 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 12:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
You don't need to send his Uruguayan passport. Send a copy and explain you need to keep the original. That will be accepted.

You should still get your child a consular birth certificate, future proofing a claim to British citizenship, etc. Also may be useful as a birth certificate in other English speaking countries.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
You don't need to send his Uruguayan passport. Send a copy and explain you need to keep the original. That will be accepted.

You should still get your child a consular birth certificate, future proofing a claim to British citizenship, etc. Also may be useful as a birth certificate in other English speaking countries.
Not sure.
Been told the consular birth registration (not certificate) is not necessary.
The consular says this is not a substitute for a birth certificate.
Only a registration.

In regards to the passport I don't think it mentions anywhere about copies being allowed.

Do you have that information?

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2014, 4:21 am
Just Joined

1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all1863 is a name known to all

Registering as a British citizen is not the same procedure as registering a birth at a British embassy so it's the first option you want. Providing you have a consular birth certificate for your son then you still won't need to supply the parents' documents.
Thanks for your response, but I am still confused as to why they list an option as "First British Passport - When you have been naturalized or registered as British". If they don't mean that the birth has been registered with the British consulate, wouldn't they just have the option to apply for a first British passport for babies born before or after July 1 1996? The checklist shows that for those registered as British, no parent's documents are required, which seems to make sense as all those documents were verified when his birth was registered with the consulate.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious but I can't see why they would have this option if it did not mean those who have been registered as British?

Last edited by 1863; Feb 19th 2014 at 4:50 am.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 10:34 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I registered my son at the British consulate, and now will apply a passport.

The service is not required to register him but i wouldn't hesitate one bit.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1863
Thanks for your response, but I am still confused as to why they list an option as "First British Passport - When you have been naturalized or registered as British". If they don't mean that the birth has been registered with the British consulate, wouldn't they just have the option to apply for a first British passport for babies born before or after July 1 1996? The checklist shows that for those registered as British, no parent's documents are required, which seems to make sense as all those documents were verified when his birth was registered with the consulate.

Apologies if I am missing something obvious but I can't see why they would have this option if it did not mean those who have been registered as British?
It's confusing because there are two different forms of registration getting mixed up in here.

"Registration of a child as a British Citizen" is a formal process which makes the child a citizen (they weren't one before). It applies for example to those who were born abroad to parents who were citizens by descent - these children are NOT citizens at birth but can become citizens by registration before the age of 18 under certain circumstances. This is the sort of registration which is refered to on the form and which gives a registration certificate.

"Consular registration of a birth" is where you tell the consulate that a child has been born who was a British Citizen at birth. It is not compulsory, the child is already a citizen, but gives you a consular birth certificate which can be useful.

BritInParis - thanks for clarifying that point on the consular birth certs - of course they are proof of citizenship by descent, my powers of logical deduction seem to have failed me yesterday
Old Feb 19th 2014, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks englishguy, that has certainly helped clarify the difference between the two forms! I assume (always a dangerous thing to do in these areas) that when I am pulling together the required docs I hopefully will see something about submitting the consulate registration of birth and how this negates the need for other docs.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
It's confusing because there are two different forms of registration getting mixed up in here.

"Registration of a child as a British Citizen" is a formal process which makes the child a citizen (they weren't one before). It applies for example to those who were born abroad to parents who were citizens by descent - these children are NOT citizens at birth but can become citizens by registration before the age of 18 under certain circumstances. This is the sort of registration which is refered to on the form and which gives a registration certificate.

"Consular registration of a birth" is where you tell the consulate that a child has been born who was a British Citizen at birth. It is not compulsory, the child is already a citizen, but gives you a consular birth certificate which can be useful.

BritInParis - thanks for clarifying that point on the consular birth certs - of course they are proof of citizenship by descent, my powers of logical deduction seem to have failed me yesterday
No worries, it happens to the best of us. You got it spot on second time around

Originally Posted by 1863
Thanks englishguy, that has certainly helped clarify the difference between the two forms! I assume (always a dangerous thing to do in these areas) that when I am pulling together the required docs I hopefully will see something about submitting the consulate registration of birth and how this negates the need for other docs.
It's in the guidance notes in very small print.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can anyone tell me what the "Consular registration of a birth" looks like? Does it look like the British style birth certificate with just the parents names on?

We're having issue with my son's birth certificate here. We have to get it corrected again as they put the grandparents names on but don't understand the concept of the woman changing their name. Here they keep their name.
They don't start a new one if there are mistakes. They make another paragraph below explaining the errors and they have just made such a big mess that I'm afraid the UK passport agency are just going to get confused when they read the translated copy!

I just found this:

You must register your child’s birth according to the regulations in the country where the child was born. They will give you a local birth certificate.

Once you’ve done this you may be able to apply to register the birth with the UK authorities.

You don’t have to do this, but it means:

you’ll get a UK-style birth certificate for the child
you’ll have proof that the child is a British citizen
the birth will be recorded with the General Register Office in the UK

Last edited by alfista1; Feb 19th 2014 at 9:08 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cost
Service Fee
Register a birth £105
Copy of a birth registration certificate £65
OMG!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.