UK man, U.S wife.. move to England.

Old Dec 31st 2017, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK man, U.S wife.. move to England.

I posted this a few years ago and got derailed by someone and can see it has now been closed.

With the ever changing immigration laws, moving myself and my American Wife to the UK, is it still me having a job for 6 months in the UK earning 18k before she can start the application for a spouse visa?

(please no one jump on stating this is similar to your situation, then describe a completely different situation)

Thanks for the info.

regards
Stribs
Old Dec 31st 2017, 9:10 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK man, U.S wife.. move to England.

Originally Posted by Stribs
I posted this a few years ago and got derailed by someone and can see it has now been closed.

With the ever changing immigration laws, moving myself and my American Wife to the UK, is it still me having a job for 6 months in the UK earning 18k before she can start the application for a spouse visa?

(please no one jump on stating this is similar to your situation, then describe a completely different situation)

Thanks for the info.

regards
Stribs
Yes, the onus is on you, the sponsor, to prove you have finances, either currently earning over £18,600 a year and with a job earning over that starting within 3 months of arrival, or total savings of >£65000 which you have held for 6 months, however if the savings are from a house sale the 6 months period is waived.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, the onus is on you, the sponsor, to prove you have finances, either currently earning over £18,600 a year and with a job earning over that starting within 3 months of arrival, or total savings of >£65000 which you have held for 6 months, however if the savings are from a house sale the 6 months period is waived.
interesting, so I can have a job in the U.S earning 18k which I have for the last 2 years, then I just need to show I will continue to have a job in the U.K earning over 18k within 3 months of moving?

The biggest concern is being away from my wife for 6 months. Is there a way we move over together?

Thanks as always.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if you have the promise of a job meeting the requirement within three months of moving to the UK. You would need evidence of this, ie letter from prospective employer with details of position, salary etc. or if you have savings of £62,500 either in joint or individual names of sponsor and applicant. These funds must be cash savings and must have been in your account for the past six months, unless the funds are from the sale of property, which you owned for at least six months. In either situation, you can move back together.

Sorry, mikelincs, I have repeated a lot of what you said! New Year’s Eve drinks taking effect!
Old Jan 1st 2018, 5:39 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

interesting, so I can have a job in the U.S earning 18k which I have for the last 2 years, then I just need to show I will continue to have a job in the U.K earning over 18k within 3 months of moving?

The biggest concern is being away from my wife for 6 months. Is there a way we move over together?

Thanks as always.
Can she apply as a parent? Do you have enough savings to make the income from eg rental and dividends?

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/parent
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income

But also watch out, if you have children as the min income goes up
Old Jan 1st 2018, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
But also watch out, if you have children as the min income goes up
Not if the child/children are British citizens.

As your wife is American, I would suggest that she register on the UK-yankee forum (UK-Yankee Forum - Index). That site is specific to your situation - from the US to the UK.

The info and advice here is excellent, but sometimes threads get confusing when someone applying from a different country asks a question on a thread you started.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You should read the following document carefully, to see under which category you could qualify.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

If you wish to travel together to the UK (ie apply now from the US and travel to UK when visa is issued) you can do so by:

- applying using just savings of 62,500GBP

- having a current job in the US of 18,600 GBP AND having a job to go to in the UK starting within 3 months of return, and also earning 18,600 GBP or over.
(Categories 5.2 or 5.4 in the document) (you can also use savings to top us any shortfall in income)

- having pensions which will continue in the UK of 18,600 GBP and over.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jan 1st 2018 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

aAppreciate all the information. the Yankee forum is very helpful.

No kids, and only ever rented. Savings of about $58.00 + what ever is down the couch.

So now to have a job set up for when I return. That's a toughy.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 5:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

aAppreciate all the information. the Yankee forum is very helpful.

No kids, and only ever rented. Savings of about $58.00 + what ever is down the couch.

So now to have a job set up for when I return. That's a toughy.
Alternatively you can move ahead of your wife, find employment and six months after starting work she could then apply for a spouse visa to join you.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

so I have a job for the last 2 years in the US earning 38k..

I have found a job that will start within 3 months in the UK...

now what..

how long until my wife can move and work in the UK?

Is she doing all the paperwork? what form to start with?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

so I have a job for the last 2 years in the US earning 38k..

I have found a job that will start within 3 months in the UK...

now what..

how long until my wife can move and work in the UK?

Is she doing all the paperwork? what form to start with?

Thanks again.
She applies for a settlement visa (online) from the US

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

You get together all the documents to prove your relationship, proof of YOUR (the Brit) current employment, proof of new job in the UK (payslips, bank statements, employment letters etc), UK accommodation details (rental/staying with family/friends). These will eventually be sent to HO in Sheffield

She goes for biometrics in the US.

The process for obtaining the visa takes up to 3 months - less if paying priority service.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

You get together all the documents to prove your relationship, proof of YOUR (the Brit) current employment, proof of new job in the UK (payslips, bank statements, employment letters etc), UK accommodation details (rental/staying with family/friends). These will eventually be sent to HO in Sheffield

The process for obtaining the visa takes up to 3 months - less if paying priority service.
Really helpful Information, thank you so much.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

On the website provided It never explains the possibility that if I am earning 18k for over 6months in my current country (US) that it is acceptable to get the application started.

Can someone confirm this is ok to get started, then the only thing left to do is find a job in the UK before we return.

sorry if this is clearly there, seems the last bit of the puzzle.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

On the website provided It never explains the possibility that if I am earning 18k for over 6months in my current country (US) that it is acceptable to get the application started.

Can someone confirm this is ok to get started, then the only thing left to do is find a job in the UK before we return.

It can get a bit confusing. As SanDiegogirl says, you need to supply all of the evidence, including that relating to your new job in the UK, at the time you apply.
You get together all the documents to prove your relationship, proof of YOUR (the Brit) current employment, proof of new job in the UK (payslips, bank statements, employment letters etc), UK accommodation details (rental/staying with family/friends)
Old Jan 11th 2018, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In an earlier post you said you had found a job in the UK ?

When you complete Appendix 2, Section 3 asks you to detail under which financial category you are applying ie. Cat A, Cat B, resident in UK, returning to UK etc etc.

No point in starting an application until such time as you know under which category you can qualify.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.