UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:26 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Originally Posted by windsong
I know. I thought of this. It just gives the airline an excuse to charge me a fortune to fly them, I am sure. I will find out today.
I don't think there is any difference in cost if your dogs fly separately from you.

Their airfare is treated as a seperate ticket. Just like another human passenger.

Some airports won't allow a live animal to be flown in without their human owner. I don't think there is any restriction like that at Heathrow. But airport policy has nothing to do with the price of the pet's ticket.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
I'd expect the biggest red flag in terms of whether or not windsong intends to remain in the UK permanently to be the answer "for ever" to the question "how long do you intend to remain in the UK" on the landing card she will need to fill in.
Having dogs with you as well is not going to be much of a problem after the IO reads that.
Having dogs with you and putting something else, something untrue, on the landing card is a bigger problem. Putting anything untrue on the landing card is a big issue and that is what the original IO will likely have been advising you about.

As it stands windsong, you have the right of abode in the UK, that means you have a right to enter and remain permanently. Everything you are worrying about is simply whether or not someone else will believe you. That person has access to the same info as the passport office - and you expect them to be willing to give you a passport. The only risk here is that you will have to wait for an hour while the IO goes and checks the systems.
At what point in the travel process do I fill in a landing card? Is it in the plane going over? (It's been a while since I have travelled internationally.)

Because of the backlog in passport renewal processing, especially for expats, the IOs must be on alert for people going in with expired passports.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

At what point in the travel process do I fill in a landing card? Is it in the plane going over? (It's been a while since I have travelled internationally.)
Now you're a going to be a worry wart about the landing card aren't you?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Now you're a going to be a worry wart about the landing card aren't you?
No - I plan to tell them when I land and present both passports that I am there permanently. I won't lie. I can't ruin my character by lying. It's just not me anyway.

I was just wondering what really happens to this landing card and what it's purpose really is.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:51 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You're a British citizen - you don't need to complete a landing card.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Thank you!!!!

I can't wait to set foot on British soil as a British citizen!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:01 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You do if you are using a US passport.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You do if you are using a US passport.
She's entering as a British citizen so no reason to.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

She's entering as a British citizen so no reason to.
Then no reason to hand over her US passport. If she uses her US passport it requires a landing card with it.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury
Then no reason to hand over her US passport. If she uses her US passport it requires a landing card with it.
Well she'll need it to get on the plane and therefore the IO will expect to see it but since she's a British citizen and intends to enter the UK as such she won't need to complete it. We're splitting hairs now to be honest.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Due to the massive, unbelievable backlog in processing passport applications, especially expat applications, isn't it to be expected that there will be many more people trying to get into the UK with an expired passport, in which case surely the IOs are going to clamp down and refuse entry to people who do this?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:40 pm

Due to the massive, unbelievable backlog in processing passport applications, especially expat applications, isn't it to be expected that there will be many more people trying to get into the UK with an expired passport, in which case surely the IOs are going to clamp down and refuse entry to people who do this?
I suspect the opposite. Why would they be clamping down on people who have no control over the situation?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suspect the opposite. Why would they be clamping down on people who have no control over the situation?
Because, technically, isn't it going against rules to be admitted with an expired passport? Surely, they want to prevent people doing this and would therefore become more strict about it.

It's an interesting subject.
Old Jun 11th 2014, 7:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

I am still working out the dog issue, too. Some people have posted here that, because my UK passport is expired, if I go in with the dogs it looks as if I am planning to stay and IO in the UK could refuse entry.

Also, an ex-immigration officer here in this thread suggested that the airline in the US might not let me board the plane if I have the dogs with me AND a UK expired passport. They don't want to risk my being returned to the US because they have to pay the flight.

I have received conflicting comments about how many US citizens fly to the UK on holiday and take their dogs. The ETD department told me many do but someone here who is in a position to know told me it is rare because the US citizens get short vacation time. It would be a red flag.

Granted, I can enter on my US passport as a visitor - but with the dogs?

One good thing in all this is that I have found a vet who has prepared dogs for UK travel many times. I talked on the phone with him for 30 minutes last night. He knows the process inside out. That's a big relief.

Truthfully, I am appalled that I cannot get my passport renewed in even SIX weeks. I would stay if I thought I could get it back in time but they are taking 12 weeks or more. One person in another thread even waited 20 weeks. I am sure I could stay with my friend for a few weeks after I move out of here, making my total time left here about six weeks but no longer.
When I was sailing on the QM2 from New York to Southampton there were about a dozen dogs in the kennels. Some of the dogs were accompanying their (American) owners on their vacations (the ship was continuing on to Hamburg, Germany) and one woman said that they were returning to the US by plane from Paris. I flew back to New Jersey but not with a dog lol!

There could be a number of reasons for flying one-way with a dog; in your case the dogs may be going overseas to stay (indefinitely ) at your sister's house?
Old Jun 11th 2014, 8:00 pm

Because, technically, isn't it going against rules to be admitted with an expired passport? Surely, they want to prevent people doing this and would therefore become more strict about it.

It's an interesting subject.
Your right of abode doesn't expire with your passport. You still have it; proving it is where your valid British passport comes in. If they know there has been problems with overseas renewals then I suspect they are likely to be more sympathetic to those arriving with expired passports as a lack of a valid passport isn't the fault of the individual traveller but the Home Office themselves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.