UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
No you don't need a freaking visa.
Thank you, yet in many of your posts above you mentioned a visa. This is why I asked outright about it.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:15 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you, yet in many of your posts above you mentioned a visa. This is why I asked outright about it.
IF one is a US citizen (not a dual), one does need a visa to move to the UK.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
IF one is a US citizen (not a dual), one does need a visa to move to the UK.
But if they are merely visiting, they don't need one. I think this is right.

I may have to go there just to go directly to the embassy (or wherever) to renew my UK passport, fly back to the US, and then fly over with my dogs. If I do this, then I need to enter the UK as a US visitor.

This is just one plan of attack I am contemplating.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:28 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

True, a US citizen should not need a visa just to visit, though that is always up to the UK IO at the entry point....
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:32 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I may have to go there just to go directly to the embassy (or wherever) to renew my UK passport, fly back to the US, and then fly over with my dogs. If I do this, then I need to enter the UK as a US visitor.

This is just one plan of attack I am contemplating.
You can't get premium passport service for your situation. It's clearly spelled out in the links you have been given.

Even if you could - it would cheaper to fly your dogs over after you. Cost it all out. Do you have any idea how much it costs to fly over to London or Liverpool (or whereever the office is) this time of year on a short notice ticket? Transport from the airport to this office? Hotel for a night or two?

You are panicking. I feel bad for the predicament you are in. But in all honesty I don't feel like you are listening to us.

Go in ahead of your dogs. Fly them over after you. Problem solved.

Last edited by rebeccajo; Jun 10th 2014 at 4:35 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
True, a US citizen should not need a visa just to visit, though that is always up to the UK IO at the entry point....
I'd love to know if UK IOs have ever turned away a US citizen travelling to the UK for a vacation - even dual citizens travelling there for that purpose.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:33 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to know if UK IOs have ever turned away a US citizen travelling to the UK for a vacation.
Every. Day.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

greenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond reputegreenlane has a reputation beyond repute

I think a phone call to a Consulate would be the thing to do. Here's a link to the British Consulate in Denver, and at the bottom of the page they give a phone number. https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...general-Denver I don't know where you live in the USA but they should be able to help (one hopes).
Old Jun 10th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, I called there and it directed me to another number that was disconnected - phone runaround.

SO, I called the embassy in DC. I talked to someone there and they gave me another number to call but I told her my situation and she said they WILL give me an ETD even though I have an expired blue book passport.

I will call this number now and see what else I find out - as soon as I calm my nerves with a cup of tea.

I think calling them was the best thing to do. Perhaps I can get this sorted out with their help from this end, rather than relying on the UK IO and my paperwork to prove citizenship.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 10th 2014 at 5:06 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I called but have to call them back in 20 minutes while they find where I am supposed to call for ETDs. It wasn't an option (that I could find) in their answering machine message.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Is it illegal for a UK citizen who is also a citizen of the US to enter the UK on a US passport?

Why would you think it might be?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, I called and the woman was ever so helpful. She made notes about my situation and is contacting their ETD department immediately. She told me, above all, not to worry because they WILL help me get to the UK. I DO hope so.

I hope to receive a call back from the ETD place this afternoon.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by colchar
Why would you think it might be?
It was a mere question - not an assumption.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rebeccajo;11296462]

A US citizen with no visa in passport and two dogs in tow is a likely turnaround at border control.
As I said to you in a PM, there is a chance an astute check in agent in the US is going to ask questions about your intentions as a visitor. A US citizen traveling to the UK on vacation with their pets is extremely rare. There is a risk such an agent would deny boarding, but how much that is a risk is hard to judge. The airline will go on the side of caution if a US passport and 2 dogs does in fact raise questions..

I can't see a problem of being denied entry in the UK. A claim to UK citizenship has to be refuted and at the worse some delay for what in the US we call secondary inspection.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 6:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to know if UK IOs have ever turned away a US citizen travelling to the UK for a vacation - even dual citizens travelling there for that purpose.
Yes I have seen several at Heathrow where the IO had a suspicion they were moving to the UK. A subsequent search of their baggage, IOs have a power to do that, and questioning and they were sent back.

The best one was my younger sons US girlfriend at Gatwick. Even though the Chief Immigration Officer on duty at Gatwick called me at Heathrow to vouch for her and confirmation from me it was purely a vacation visit and the CIO at Heathrow confirmed who I was and vouched for me, they still denied her entry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.