UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:16 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Oh my goodness.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rebeccajo;11296415]It's not the "US" that prevents people from boarding. It's the airline. They don't want to be responsible for getting you back to the US if Border Control turns you away.[/QUOTE]

Understood. Doesn't this mean that I can't travel at all to the UK unless I have renewed my UK passport first then?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;11296422]
Originally Posted by rebeccajo
It's not the "US" that prevents people from boarding. It's the airline. They don't want to be responsible for getting you back to the US if Border Control turns you away.[/QUOTE]

Understood. Doesn't this mean that I can't travel at all to the UK unless I have renewed my UK passport first then?
yes, because only people with valid, unexpired UK passports are ever allowed entry into the UK...
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rebs;11296425]
Originally Posted by windsong

yes, because only people with valid, unexpired UK passports are ever allowed entry into the UK...
Well, what about the comments from those who have said I can exit the US and enter the UK on a US passport? That is what US citizens do all the time. I could go in as a visitor and, once there, renew my passport immediately.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;11296432]
Originally Posted by rebs

Well, what about the comments from those who have said I can exit the US and enter the UK on a US passport? That is what US citizens do all the time. I could go in as a visitor and, once there, renew my passport immediately.
Exactly ... and that is why RebeccaJo's comment does NOT mean that you cannot travel at all until you got your new UK passport, because you have your US passport.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=rebs;11296438]

Exactly ... and that is why RebeccaJo's comment does NOT mean that you cannot travel at all until you got your new UK passport, because you have your US passport.
That contradicts completely what you just said about not being able to travel to the UK without a UK passport.

I don't see why leaving the US on a US passport and entering the UK on a US passport would be a problem for me boarding the plane in the US. I understand the airline needs proof I am free to enter the UK but as a US visitor I would be. Yet, the issue was a raised as a possible problem.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=windsong;11296446]

That contradicts completely what you just said about not being able to travel to the UK without a UK passport.
I know, Windsong... I was being a bit mischievous and having a bit of a joke
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=rebs;11296447]

I know, Windsong... I was being a bit mischievous and having a bit of a joke
This is not funny at all! This is a very serious and important situation to me and I take offense at you making a joke of it. It also detracts from the important questions I am asking.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=windsong;11296450]

This is not funny at all! This is a very serious and important situation to me and I take offense at you making a joke of it.
Well, I am sorry... but honestly, I sometimes think you just post the first thing that pops into your head without really thinking through what has been said to you - or maybe even reading some of the details / useful links that get posted to help you.

Having said that, I can see you are stressing out massively about all this, so I do apologise
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Accepted.

I read so many contradictions and I am confused by them. Believe me, I have read all the links posted and they usually result in questions which is why I started my own thread. I AM stressing out massively. You are quite correct. It is a VERY important issue for me and my dogs. Now I am worried the airline won't let me exit the US! This has been mentioned as a possible fact.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 10th 2014 at 3:40 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:39 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;11296446]

I don't see why leaving the US on a US passport and entering the UK on a US passport would be a problem for me boarding the plane in the US. I understand the airline needs proof I am free to enter the UK but as a US visitor I would be. Yet, the issue was a raised as a possible problem.
An airline is a business.

An business is not going to put themselves in a predicament where they are likely to lose money.

A US citizen with no visa in passport and two dogs in tow is a likely turnaround at border control.

It isn't about your 'rights'. Forget about those anyway. You as a USC don't have any 'rights' to enter the UK.

You DO have rights to enter the UK if you can prove you are a British citizen. You don't have a current passport. You do have a birth certificate.

It doesn't matter how many times or how many different ways you pose the question to all of us trying to help you. The decision on whether or not to let you board is up to the airline. The decision on whether to let you into the country is up to Border Control. We can tell you how to prepare for possible success but we can't guarantee it.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

But I DO have rights as a US citizen to use my US passport to exit the US and enter the UK as a visitor - surely! It's clear I can't take my dogs on the same plane anyway.

Some have said I don't need a visa in my US passport to enter the UK. Now you are suggesting I do?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:48 pm
WhiteRabbit

You have all the rights in the world to use your passport to go anywhere an airline will carry you too.

You have no rights to enter ANY country. It's up to Border Control of that nation.

The 'problem' of entering the UK with dogs in tow is it looks like you plan to live there. Visitors aren't allowed to live. People with visas are.

Because you are British (but have no proof other than a birth cert) it's going to be up to YOU to convince the airline and the border officer that they should let you in to live. This is not impossible to do. It cannot, however, be guaranteed and that is simply because you don't have the documents that guarantee it.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am well aware it is up to Border Control - more than you know.

It looks as if I have to exit the USA and hopefully enter the UK as a visitor. Surely an airline won't have problems letting me leave the USA on those grounds. I will have to deal with Border Control when I get there.

Do you know if I need to get a visa in my US passport in order to fly to the UK - or not?

I have to be concerned about getting my dogs there on a different flight, my being able to board the airline in the US, and my entering the UK.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 10th 2014 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 3:52 pm
WhiteRabbit

No you don't need a freaking visa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.