UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Is it illegal for a UK citizen who is also a citizen of the US to enter the UK on a US passport?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Dual Citizen Entering UK on US Passport

Originally Posted by windsong
Is it illegal for a UK citizen who is also a citizen of the US to enter the UK on a US passport?
No.

Stop worrying!!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No.

Stop worrying!!
Okay, if I use my US passport to enter the UK, do I need some sort of stamp in it before I go? How do most Americans prepare to enter the UK?
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Stop worrying!!
I doubt that's going to happen
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:29 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, if I use my US passport to enter the UK, do I need some sort of stamp in it before I go? How do most Americans prepare to enter the UK?
No stamps out there to get.

When I go to the UK, I put my US passport in my pocket, make sure I lock all the doors before I leave the house, and I drive to the airport.

Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
No stamps out there to get.

When I go to the UK, I put my US passport in my pocket, make sure I lock all the doors before I leave the house, and I drive to the airport.

No visa needed? No stamp - nothing?

If I use my US passport and go in as a visitor like every other American, what exactly happens at IO? Do they just fleetingly glance at the passport and wave you on?

(You are funny about locking all the doors, etc. lol!)
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:40 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Americans can apply for a visit visa if they want to. But hardly anyone does UNLESS they are frequent flyers in and out of the UK and are afraid of getting turned back. Think people in long distance relationships.

No, they don't fleetingly look at the passport. The look at you and the photo to see if you resemble it. The look for a return ticket. They ask the purpose of the visit. Sometimes they ask how long you plan to stay.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

With US PP in hand go through the non EU channel.

If I were you I would go through the EU channel with my US PP, expired UK PP and my UK birth certificate. I would explain nicely to the immigration officer that I am returning home for good ie UK resident...apologizing profusely for not having a valid UK PP.

Stop worrying!! You are over thinking all this and creating problems for yourself that do not exist. Stop it!!!!!!
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

With US PP in hand go through the non EU channel.

If I were you I would go through the EU channel with my US PP, expired UK PP and my UK birth certificate. I would explain nicely to the immigration officer that I am returning home for good ie UK resident...apologizing profusely for nit having a valid UK PP.

Stop worrying!! You are over thinking all this and creating problems for yourself that do not exist. Stop it!!!!!!
I understand what you are saying - and this is my preferred choice - but how do I prove citizenship when my blue book passport expired over 10 years ago? These passports are not in the database. The onus is on me to prove it, not the IO. If I tell them I am returning for good, I will need to prove it somehow, I am sure.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I understand what you are saying - and this is my preferred choice - but how do I prove citizenship when my blue book passport expired over 10 years ago? These passports are not in the database. The onus is on me to prove it, not the IO. If I tell them I am returning for good, I will need to prove it somehow, I am sure.
You have your birth certificate and old UK PP.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

You have your birth certificate and old UK PP.
Yes, I do BUT the passport expired over 10 years ago. As the Border Agency suggested to me last year, how could I prove I didn't renounce my citizenship after it expired? It's not as if it expired a month ago.

Even though I have my birth certificate, the above still applies about renunciation (I think).
Old Jun 10th 2014, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Also, if I enter on a US passport with two dogs, it looks even more like I intend to stay (so the border agency told me).
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, I do BUT the passport expired over 10 years ago. As the Border Agency suggested to me last year, how could I prove I didn't renounce my citizenship after it expired? It's not as if it expired a month ago.

Even though I have my birth certificate, the above still applies about renunciation (I think).
Why would you even think renunciation will be brought up. For goodness sake just take your old UK PP, UK birth certificate and US PP.

Also, if I enter on a US passport with two dogs, it looks even more like I intend to stay (so the border agency told me).
You are a UK citizen it is your right to stay in the UK. See my above comment.

I really don't know what else to say to you. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest to enter the UK as above. It is my country and I have a right to be there.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Why would you even think renunciation will be brought up. For goodness sake just take your old UK PP, UK birth certificate and US PP.

You are a UK citizen it is your right to stay in the UK. See my above comment.

I really don't know what else to say to you. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest to enter the UK as above. It is my country and I have a right to be there.
It is the border agency who mentioned it.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Take your expired British passport plus your birth certificate showing that you were born in the UK. The Immigration official will need to see these once you say that you are returning permanently to the UK.

Apologize for not having a current British passport and promise to get a new one as soon as you can.

If you ONLY had your US passport and declared that you were returning to the UK as a permanent resident then the official would have further questions for you, and you would get a visitor stamp in your US passport - also you would be asked to renew your British passport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.