UK citizenship for the kids

Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

BigK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizenship for the kids

All - Need some information and i likely asked this before but will again as my kids are older. So I am UK born, moved to the states 18 years go, and have been a US citizen for the last 5 years.

My kids were born in the US (father is not UK citizen) and I was a UK citizen back then (now UK and US). What is their eligibility for UK passports and citizenship? They are now 16 and 13. I never registered the birth with the UK embassy here in DC (never knew to do it).

So I am ready to get them passports. Is there any thing I should know, or is it as simple as providing proof and sending in the applications forms?

Thank you.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 6:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizenship for the kids

You can still register their births with the FCO if you wish. The wiki has more information.

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki

Registration is not required for their passports however. Your eldest will need to apply for their own; you can make the application for your youngest.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Last edited by BritInParis; Feb 9th 2018 at 6:06 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. Is it because by oldest is 16 that he has to apply on his own? Is there any drawback due to his age? What will they as him for as proof? Birth certificate and proof of my citizenship?
Old Feb 9th 2018, 7:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Goggle is your friend .... from the application link given you by BIP

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e_G1_10.16.pdf

Table B
First British passport applicants born or adopted outside the UK – parents’ or adoptive parents’ documents
Please provide the following:
The passport you entered the country from which you are applying, and if different, any non-British passport held as well as the evidence shown in the table below:
Born before 1 January 1983 • your father’s full birth certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and
• his marriage certificate to your mother.
Born on or after 1 January
• one of your parents’ full birth certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details) or naturalisation or registration certificate; and
• if this is your father, his marriage certificate to your mother (this does not apply for those born on or after 1 July 2006).
Born abroad but adopted in
the UK before 1 January 1983
• the child’s full adoption certificate (showing both the child’s and parents’ details); and
• evidence of adoptive parent’s claim to British nationality by providing their UK birth or adoption, naturalisation or registration certificate; and
• if the adoption is a joint adoption, we need evidence of the adoptive father’s claim to British nationality.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 11:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Each application will differ depending on the applicant's circumstances. If you click on the link I gave you and answer the questions it will provide all the information you need. You'll need to answer the questions for both children separately in order to get the correct information for each of them.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Each application will differ depending on the applicant's circumstances. If you click on the link I gave you and answer the questions it will provide all the information you need. You'll need to answer the questions for both children separately in order to get the correct information for each of them.
Got it, and went there and did all applications, including my passport renewal, all in one packet. Now time to take the pics and get a countersigner and courier over the docs to the UK.

Thank you