UK Citizen. US Girlfriend.

Old Sep 12th 2014, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

Britannian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Citizen. US Girlfriend.

This is possibly not the correct place for this thread, however I could not find a more suitable place.

Straight to the point. I am a UK citizen born and bred and I have a US girlfriend. I have been to the US numerous times to see her.

She would like to live and work in the UK, however after a lot of looking at options for many a month now we are feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

She is a high-school graduate (19 years of age (I am 23)), meaning she does not really have a trade/skill other than retail experience. If possible she would like to take a short course in teaching English Language and begin searching for teaching opportunities in the UK (however we have not had a lot of advice on that course of action, so any I receive here is greatly valued)

Other ideas have possible been to apply to hotels or other internationally orientated establishments for jobs. But again, we do not have much insight into the process or if that is even a viable option.

She would be happy working in almost any role, but we just do not know where to start. I am hugely grateful for any advice. Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 10:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Citizen. US Girlfriend.

Well, as a US citizen, that's going to be difficult. Does she have any recent British/Irish/European heritage? Or from these countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan?
Old Sep 12th 2014, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Britannian is an unknown quantity at this point

Most recently Scottish. I'm fairly certain one of her grandparents was of Scottish descent.
Old Sep 12th 2014, 11:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britannian
Most recently Scottish. I'm fairly certain one of her grandparents was of Scottish descent.
Well depending on the Scottish independence referendum next week that could entitle her to a Scottish passport in a few years time.

A British-born grandparent wouldn't ordinarily entitle her to a British passport unless that grandparent was serving overseas in Crown service.

A Commonwealth citizen could apply for an ancestry visa with a British-born grandparent but the US isn't a Commonwealth country.