Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

UK citizen in UK 2 months pregnant with USA citizens baby

UK citizen in UK 2 months pregnant with USA citizens baby

Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:12 am
Just Joined

Gemmylou85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK citizen in UK 2 months pregnant with USA citizens baby

Hi I need some advice on a situation I've found myself in.Ive been with my partner for 2 years now he's a USA citizen and I'm a UK citizen I currently live over in the UK and him in the US.we visited each other recently and in that time I now have found out I'm 2 months pregnant in that he's now suggested about coming over to the uk for good.my partner works but I don't as i currently a mum already to 3 children one child which has a disability my partner has now decided to come to the uk so he can see he's child grow up and not miss out there's no chance I can go over there as my children's father is over here and regularly has contact
Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this how can we apply for him to come over here we know on he's passport he can come over but only for a certain amount of time if he was looking to move over here how would we do this I'm 30 and my partner is 37
What visas are available ???
and how much money would he have to have we've got a fair bit so far saved up so far?
And does me not working make a difference to him applying to stay over here as I'm a carer for my son so my job is to look after him
Thank you for reading x
Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 months pregnant with USA citizens baby

As you don't, and apparently can't live together, the only family visa option you have is to get married.

The other alternative would be for your baby's father to get a work visa independent of his relationship to you and the baby, but the liklihood of that happening depends on what his occupation is and who he works for. For example: does his employer have a UK subsidiary that he could be transferred to? If so, does his job qualify for such a visa?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 21st 2015 at 3:42 am.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Default Re: UK citizen in UK 2 months pregnant with USA citizens baby

Is there no visa about children the only way we can start a life together over here is to get married?ive tried to look into it all but it's pretty confusing to be honest
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gemmylou85
Is there no visa about children ....
No.

It is only confusing because you are trying to find a visa for something for which no visa exists. The visa are rules are quite clear, with visas for a limited number of purposes. If your circumstances don't fit into one of the categories then you don't get a visa. Full stop.

In your case you have a clear and relatively straightforward way to make your baby's father visa-eligible, so he is relatively fortunate as many others find themselves without any way to make themselves visa eligible.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 21st 2015 at 12:10 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

1. Married
2. £63,000 in bank or £18,600 income

Seems fairly simple
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
1. Married AND
2. £63,000 in bank or £18,600 income

Seems fairly simple
FIFY
Old Sep 21st 2015, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for all the replies
Old Sep 21st 2015, 6:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You need to be married, engaged or living together for two years in a relationship akin to marriage in order to sponsor your partner for a family visa. As the sponsor you also need to meet the financial requirements as succinctly outlined by scot47.

Other options to explore would be your partner obtaining a work visa for the UK (not easy but not impossible) or seeing if he is eligible for an EU/EEA passport through any recent European ancestry he may have, e.g. European-born parents, grandparents or great-parents (either easy or impossible).
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a carer for my son so my job is to look after him
Everything they all said but if the above means you are getting Carers Allowance, then you don't need to meet the new earnings requirement of 18,6 or 62.5 savings. You would be under the old lower financial requirments.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that's what I get as my son is registered disabled and on high rate care high rate mobility
So would that then need to be over 18,000 a year aswell to qualify
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's what I get as my son is registered disabled and on high rate care high rate mobility
So would that then need to be over 18,000 a year aswell to qualify
No, as you are in receipt of CA.

You won’t need to prove you have this money if you or your partner get certain disability benefits or Carer’s Allowance, but you’ll need to adequately accommodate and support yourselves and any dependants.
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk/eligibility

Instead of needing to earn at least £18.600 or have £62.500 in savings, you will only have to show "adequate maintenance" for a husband. Explained on page 14 on this document.
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

Last edited by formula; Sep 23rd 2015 at 12:19 am.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No.

It is only confusing because you are trying to find a visa for something for which no visa exists. The visa are rules are quite clear, with visas for a limited number of purposes. If your circumstances don't fit into one of the categories then you don't get a visa. Full stop.

In your case you have a clear and relatively straightforward way to make your baby's father visa-eligible, so he is relatively fortunate as many others find themselves without any way to make themselves visa eligible.
I just found this. Unless I am reading it wrong, I may have been mistaken.

Join family in UK visas.

Coming to look after your child

Your child must be under 18, a British citizen and either living or settled in the UK.

You must prove that either:

you’re the only parent of the child and you’re the only person who’s responsible for them (you have ‘sole responsibility’)your child lives permanently with another parent or carer who’s British or settled in the UK and not your partner, and you want to help raise them (you’ll need to prove you have access to your child in person, either agreed with the other parent or carer, or by a court order)

You must also prove you’re taking an active role in the child’s upbringing.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2015 at 1:24 pm.