Spouse Visa via Savings Route

Old Jun 9th 2014, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spouse Visa via Savings Route

Hi all,

I apologise if this is covered elsewhere but I can't find a thread specifically covering it.

I am a dual AU/NZ citizen and OH is UK/AU/NZ. He was born in the UK. We have two kids born in AU and are considering returning to the UK. If all goes to plan we would do it on the savings route having the GBP62,500. My question is do we need to retain that money for the 2.5 years until I apply for FLR? OH may have a job offer before we go, but it may not pay the required amount for earnings support, and I would then be looking to work also once we're there. We would like to invest the money in a property rather than paying rent - can we do this?

From what I've read I understand that my earnings will also be taken into account when I apply for FLR, in which case we shouldn't have a problem, but obviously if one of us lost a job close to the date, or something similar, can we use an asset to prove "savings" or does it actually need to be cash in a bank account?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa via Savings Route

Yes, once you are in the UK then both of your earnings can be taken in to account. You would also need less savings to top-up earnings as long as neither of you are self-employed.
The money needs to be in cash on the day you apply for the extension. That's FLR in 2.5 years and ILR in 5 years.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that englishguygoinghome. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I suspected.
Old Jun 9th 2014, 1:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Hi all,

I apologise if this is covered elsewhere but I can't find a thread specifically covering it.

I am a dual AU/NZ citizen and OH is UK/AU/NZ. He was born in the UK. We have two kids born in AU and are considering returning to the UK. If all goes to plan we would do it on the savings route having the GBP62,500. My question is do we need to retain that money for the 2.5 years until I apply for FLR? OH may have a job offer before we go, but it may not pay the required amount for earnings support, and I would then be looking to work also once we're there. We would like to invest the money in a property rather than paying rent - can we do this?

From what I've read I understand that my earnings will also be taken into account when I apply for FLR, in which case we shouldn't have a problem, but obviously if one of us lost a job close to the date, or something similar, can we use an asset to prove "savings" or does it actually need to be cash in a bank account?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Is your OH a British Citizen otherwise than by descent, otherwise more savings are required. If they are otherwise than by descent, then all you need to do is to get them British Passports. Else this kicks in..

British citizens or an EEA citizens

For spouse only: £62,500
For one child: £72,000
For each each further child an additional: £6,000
Old Jun 10th 2014, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mike. OH is a UKC other than by descent, so as far as I am aware we don't need the extra money to cover the kids.
Old Jun 10th 2014, 2:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Thanks Mike. OH is a UKC other than by descent, so as far as I am aware we don't need the extra money to cover the kids.
That's correct, simplest way is to get them British Passports, will save any hassle when they get to the UK..
Old Jun 10th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

We're working on that now. Thought we'd do it while there's no rush, given the delays. OH has to renew his UK passport at the same time anyway.

It's just the money thing for going the savings route. We hopefully have an insurance payout coming which would give us the cash initially but we don't really want it tied up for that long if we do make the move. Obviously we would both be working but there's always unknown factor. Still I guess that's emigrating for you!