Spouse visa from US

Old Apr 21st 2018, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Farcry66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa from US

Hi folks, I've spent countless hours researching this but figured it would be good to get a first hand account so to speak.

I am a UK citizens, never lived abroad. Work in education, current salary is £48k have just applied for a new job £57k, which if I get, will start in September. I am currently married but going through a divorce in the UK. He is a writer and has substantial savings but no regular income, he intends to trade the markets and work with my brother in property investment. We will live in a rental property that is large enough for us and my children.

I met my partner 11 months ago via the Internet, he spent August and September in the UK with me. We speak every day on Skype and have some emails, but not many, between us. I have just spent two weeks in the US with him.
He is planning on comming over in August and staying until October half term, at which point we will go to the US together to get married. I will then return home for work. He can then apply for spouse visa and join me properly in January. ...hopefully.

So, questions are ....
1. Does this sound reasonable?
2. Is there anything I should be doing now to make the application process easier?
3. Is there anything I need to know that's not obviously avaliable on the government website.

Thanks in advance

L
Old Apr 21st 2018, 10:46 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa from US

Originally Posted by Farcry66
Hi folks, I've spent countless hours researching this but figured it would be good to get a first hand account so to speak.

I am a UK citizens, never lived abroad. Work in education, current salary is £48k have just applied for a new job £57k, which if I get, will start in September. I am currently married but going through a divorce in the UK. He is a writer and has substantial savings but no regular income, he intends to trade the markets and work with my brother in property investment. We will live in a rental property that is large enough for us and my children.

I met my partner 11 months ago via the Internet, he spent August and September in the UK with me. We speak every day on Skype and have some emails, but not many, between us. I have just spent two weeks in the US with him.
He is planning on comming over in August and staying until October half term, at which point we will go to the US together to get married. I will then return home for work. He can then apply for spouse visa and join me properly in January. ...hopefully.

So, questions are ....
1. Does this sound reasonable?
2. Is there anything I should be doing now to make the application process easier?
3. Is there anything I need to know that's not obviously avaliable on the government website.

Thanks in advance

L
elcome to BE.

Please have a quick read of the site rules, beige bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact on of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.

You seem to have everything sorted, the financial requirements are down to you, anything he earns cannot be used, so from what you have written everything seems good to go.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
elcome to BE.

Please have a quick read of the site rules, beige bar at the top, and should you have any site related problems please contact on of the moderators, names in bold at the bottom right of each forum page.

You seem to have everything sorted, the financial requirements are down to you, anything he earns cannot be used, so from what you have written everything seems good to go.
Although his income cannot be used, his financial savings can be taken into account. If the OP's fiancé has over £62,500 (~US$90,000) in cash savings which he has held at that level for at least six months then those can be used to fulfil the financial requirements. There is a lot less paperwork and therefore less to go wrong if you can fulfil the financial requirements this way. Also the evidence will already be in the US with the applicant. I would therefore recommend to the OP that they pursue this route if they are eligible.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Oh, is it much easier to go via that route? He does have savings that would exceed that so it's doable. Why is it easier? Does he have to transfer them to a UK account or anything?
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, is it much easier to go via that route? He does have savings that would exceed that so it's doable. Why is it easier? Does he have to transfer them to a UK account or anything?
So long as the money is banked with a recognised financial institution anywhere in the world as cash, e.g. not tied up in investments, then it's as simple as providing six months worth of bank statements.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant, thanks. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for as I would have gone the other route otherwise.

I'm starting to get conflicting information about how much evidence we need that this is a real relationship. We met online last May and have a few (800+) emails that go up until he come over in the summer. After he left, we then spent our time chatting on Skype, so no emails, well, relatively few anyway. We don't have that many pictures together because when we are together we would rather spend time with each other and don't document everything.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 4:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
So long as the money is banked with a recognised financial institution anywhere in the world as cash, e.g. not tied up in investments, then it's as simple as providing six months worth of bank statements.
Hang on. The OP says she going through divorce proceedings i.e. she still married to some person. She also says that she only met her "new" partner 11 months ago.

It seems to me she needs to finalize her divorce before doing anything else.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 5:19 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hang on. The OP says she going through divorce proceedings i.e. she still married to some person. She also says that she only met her "new" partner 11 months ago.

It seems to me she needs to finalize her divorce before doing anything else.
The OP's first post makes it clear that this is the plan.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 3:04 pm

Brilliant, thanks. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for as I would have gone the other route otherwise.

I'm starting to get conflicting information about how much evidence we need that this is a real relationship. We met online last May and have a few (800+) emails that go up until he come over in the summer. After he left, we then spent our time chatting on Skype, so no emails, well, relatively few anyway. We don't have that many pictures together because when we are together we would rather spend time with each other and don't document everything.
Obviously your marriage certificate will be the most important piece of relationship evidence. Relationship statements/covering letters from the both of you is also advisable to explain your circumstances, the development of your relationship and your future plans supported by a selection of photographs and communication evidence. Your ECO won't have the time or inclination to wade through 800 emails so be discerning and only send evidence that supports claims made in your statements.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 3:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The OP's first post makes it clear that this is the plan.
My only point here is to do with carts and horses. Now, I've never been through a divorce but if I were doing so now I wouldn't be making firm plans to get married again 5 months into the future.

Aren't divorces often a lengthy procedure?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
My only point here is to do with carts and horses. Now, I've never been through a divorce but if I were doing so now I wouldn't be making firm plans to get married again 5 months into the future.

Aren't divorces often a lengthy procedure?
I suspect the OP has a better grasp on how her divorce proceedings are going than we do. Since she cannot marry again until she is granted a decree absolute for her current marriage it's somewhat of a moot point. If the divorce takes longer than expected her plans to marry and subsequently apply for a spouse visa for her new husband will also be delayed.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I suspect the OP has a better grasp on how her divorce proceedings are going than we do. Since she cannot marry again until she is granted a decree absolute for her current marriage it's somewhat of a moot point. If the divorce takes longer than expected her plans to marry and subsequently apply for a spouse visa for her new husband will also be delayed.
Quite.