Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Moving back to the UK / Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)

Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:44 pm   #1
Just Joined

Redranj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa uk financial requirements

Hello,

I am due to apply for my Canadian wife and 2 children and understand the income requirements but have a question in regards to savings and investments.

I own my own house and the value of the property far exceeds the amount required but will I need to sell my home in order to show the funds or is simply owning the home outright not enough.

Thanks in advance and I would really appreciate any advice.
Redranj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:01 pm   #2
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa uk financial requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redranj View Post
Hello,

I am due to apply for my Canadian wife and 2 children and understand the income requirements but have a question in regards to savings and investments.

I own my own house and the value of the property far exceeds the amount required but will I need to sell my home in order to show the funds or is simply owning the home outright not enough.

Thanks in advance and I would really appreciate any advice.
Hi. The funds have to be cash savings and readily available. Unfortunately you'd need to sell your home if you can't meet the financial requirements any other way.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:20 pm   #3
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you need savings to qualify, that indicates that you will not have employment income (or not enough) and that you will be living off savings while in the UK - hence you need the monetary resources in cash.
SanDiegogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:57 pm   #4
Just Joined

I am employed in Canada but do not have a job in the uk upon returning, I want to apply and then arrive in uk together
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:01 pm   #5
Just Joined

Thank you for the quick replies!!

Am I able to apply for British passports for my 2 kids as they are British citizens by descent? Or do I have to apply for their citizenship first?, and is this possible from canada
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:04 pm   #6
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Am I able to apply for British passports for my 2 kids as they are British citizens by descent? Or do I have to apply for their citizenship first?, and is this possible from canada
If your children are British by descent then you just apply for their passports from Canada.
SanDiegogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:04 pm   #7
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Just apply for their passports, yes it is possible from Canada
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:15 pm   #8
Just Joined

Thanks, normally takes a month or 2 for passports.

Once they have British passports will I then only need to sponsor my wife?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:17 pm   #9
old age pensioner
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Yes
mikelincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:42 pm   #10
HKG3 
BE Enthusiast

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You can apply for your children's British passports using the link below -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
HKG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:45 pm   #11
HKG3 
BE Enthusiast

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am employed in Canada but do not have a job in the uk upon returning, I want to apply and then arrive in uk together
How about using cash savings to satisfy the financial requirement? You will need £62,500 cash savings for at lease six months in order to qualify.

If your money comes from a house sale, you do not need to have the money for six months to qualify.
HKG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:25 pm   #12
Just Joined

Thanks for replying guys, going to try and secure a job in uk so we don't have to sell up.

my income here is sufficient so will see how the job hunting goes
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:10 pm   #13
Just Joined

Am I able to use cash given to me by my sister to show the savings requirement, I am aware the funds will need to be in my account for 6 months before applying.

Do I then need to give evidence as to where the funds are from, my intention is to return the money once we get the visa,
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:18 pm   #14
Premium Member

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Am I able to use cash given to me by my sister to show the savings requirement, I am aware the funds will need to be in my account for 6 months before applying.

Do I then need to give evidence as to where the funds are from, my intention is to return the money once we get the visa,
You can accept money from a relative and hold it in your account for six months in order to meet the cash savings requirement but this must be a gift, not a loan.
BritInParis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th 2017, 8:32 pm   #15
Just Joined

It will be given as a gift but really just to meet the savings requirement, surely others have done or thought to do something similar?

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Moving back to the UK / Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)