EEA Family Permit when both of us are outside the UK?

Old Dec 7th 2017, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

bobnoltis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EEA Family Permit when both of us are outside the UK?

Hello,

I'm looking to immigrate to the UK in the next few months and have a question about the EEA Family Permit.

I'm an EEA citizen and my partner is a US citizen. We've been living together for 2 years and both reside in the US. I do not currently have any UK residency status.

Does my partner qualify for this permit even though I currently am not in the UK? Per https://www.gov.uk/family-permit:

The EEA citizen you’re joining must either:

* be in the UK already
* be travelling with you to the UK within 6 months of the date of your application
The second one seems to indicate that our situation qualifies. However, per https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/doc...u-must-provide

You must show that your EEA family member has a permanent right of residence or is one of the following if they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months
This indicates that we may not qualify. I'm not clear on what it means that I have a permanent right of residence -- does proving I am an EEA citizen suffice or do I need to actually have a visa/residency status from the UK to qualify?

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EEA Family Permit when both of us are outside the UK?

Read the second paragraph you quoted again. That only applies if you've been in the UK for three months or more. Which EEA citizenship(s) do you hold?