Spouse Visa Income Support Question

Old Jan 30th 2018, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Shiver_Bathory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Visa Income Support Question

Hi there

I'll try to make this as simple and clear as I can...unlike these blasted forms. My fiance is in Japan and Japanese, we're in the process of going through the forms, (thanks to this site so many unclear things have been solved - thank you!!) the overall biggest concern though is that I am currently on Income Support with Incapacity Benefit so as I understand it the money issue comes down to being able to show I can support her and myself. I was just wondering how we go about showing that. She has stayed here for 6 months already and we had no issues with bills, food etc does this count for anything?

I would also like to double check that under the Spouse/Partner section asking your marital status and so on is about me or her. Either way it seems at some point my details or hers are entered twice in the form? If mine I am the spouse/partner and the sponsor is that correct? Or is it asking for her details even though most of this is already provided previously under other parts? It's very confusing

Any advice on this or the application in general would be greatly appreciated. Oh quick edit to add she is using the VISA4UK site

Thank you for any and all answers in advance

Last edited by Shiver_Bathory; Jan 30th 2018 at 10:14 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Visa Income Support Question

Originally Posted by Shiver_Bathory
.... I'll try to make this as simple and clear as I can...unlike these blasted forms. My fiance is in Japan and Japanese, we're in the process of going through the forms, (thanks to this site so many unclear things have been solved - thank you!!) the overall biggest concern though is that I am currently on Income Support with Incapacity Benefit so as I understand it the money issue comes down to being able to show I can support her and myself. I was just wondering how we go about showing that. She has stayed here for 6 months already and we had no issues with bills, food etc does this count for anything? ....
No. The only way to qualify as a sponsor is with savings and/or income. The numbers are specific, and only strict compliance with the requirements will lead to a visa being approved. You need £18,600 of household income (excluding income earned by your wife unless she is already legally working in the UK, so on some sort of work visa) OR £62,500 of savings, OR some combination thereof. Note that the first £16,000 of savings doesn't count, so if your income is £9,300 then the applicable "half" of the savings figure would be £39,250.
.... I would also like to double check that under the Spouse/Partner section asking your marital status and so on is about me or her. Either way it seems at some point my details or hers are entered twice in the form? If mine I am the spouse/partner and the sponsor is that correct? Or is it asking for her details even though most of this is already provided previously under other parts? It's very confusing. .....
You are the sponsor, so any section about the sponsor relates to you, and it is your wife who is applying for a visa, so anything that refers to applying for a visa relates to your wife. And yes, some of the information may appear to be duplicated in different sections.
.... Any advice on this or the application in general would be greatly appreciated. Oh quick edit to add she is using the VISA4UK site. ....
I see that is the current .gov web site for visa applications, so that is the right web wite to be using.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply.

I am a little confused now as you say I have to earn £18,600 p.a. but the gov.uk says I don't need to meet the minimum requirements if I am in receipt of certain benefits and it defaults to:
"You need to show you and your family have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves without relying on public funds. The caseworker considers your income and housing costs."

So not sure what my options are there as I am receiving Income Support and Disability Benefit. Which is obviously public funds anyway, very confusing wording, to me at least on their part.

Thank you for other bits of info very useful thank you so much.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the reply.

I am a little confused now as you say I have to earn £18,600 p.a. but the gov.uk says I don't need to meet the minimum requirements if I am in receipt of certain benefits and it defaults to:
"You need to show you and your family have enough money to adequately support and accommodate yourselves without relying on public funds. The caseworker considers your income and housing costs."

So not sure what my options are there as I am receiving Income Support and Disability Benefit. Which is obviously public funds anyway, very confusing wording, to me at least on their part.

Thank you for other bits of info very useful thank you so much.
Sorry, I am not familiar with the rules for sponsoring visas when on disability support, though I believe that the rules referring to "relying on public funds" relates to income support for the low paid, not payments made to people who are disabled. Hopefully someone will be along soon who has expertise in that area.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you, as the sponsor, are in receipt of certain benefits or allowances then the financial requirements are waived; instead you will be required to show that you are able to provide "adequate maintenance". Unfortunately neither Income Support nor Incapacity Benefit are one of the eligible benefits and you not able to use either to meet the income threshold. As it stands you will not be able to sponsor your fiancée for a fiancée/spouse visa.

Are you in receipt of any other allowances or benefits? Do either of you have savings? How old is your fiancée?
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can only apply for a spouse visa under Adequate Maintenance and Accommodation if you receive the following benefits:

 Carer’s Allowance.
 Disability Living Allowance.
 Severe Disablement Allowance.
 Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
 Attendance Allowance.
 Personal Independence Payment.
 Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.
 Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme.
 Police Injury Pension.

If you don't receive any of these benefits you will need to sponsor with income, savings, investments etc.
Old Jan 30th 2018, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Ah brilliant replies thank you all so much!

Currently I am actually on EESA which still isn't covered but I believe I can apply for PIP which is it seems.

Not sure if my parents income counts as we are all living together currently too.

Thank you all, excellent advice

Last edited by Shiver_Bathory; Jan 30th 2018 at 11:57 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ah brilliant replies thank you all so much!

Currently I am actually on EESA which still isn't covered but I believe I can apply for PIP which is it seems.

Not sure if my parents income counts as we are all living together currently too.

Thank you all, excellent advice
No.... your parents income does not count at all.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
No.... your parents income does not count at all.
Yeah didn't think it would but never know right?

Again thank you all so much, very useful and helpful answers.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

Note that it will probably be much easier for you to get spouse visa to live in Japan - pretty straightforward compared to the UK - and no income requirements