Settlement Visa - BRP Collection Location

Old Jun 12th 2016, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Jen2UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settlement Visa - BRP Collection Location

Hi, Im Jen and I am married to a Dual-National British/US citizen who has been in the Northern California for 36 years. We met back in 1982 and have been married for 30 years. We have decided to move to England so he can spend time with his family. After losing his sister last February, it became even more important to him to go home and spend time with his mom and other family and friends.
We have been pondering moving to England for about 2 years now. I meet the marriage, financial and English speaking requirements. Neither of us intend to work. We intend to live off of the monthly income from our rental property, and the proceeds from the sale of primary residence. Eventually we want to buy a house in England, and have money left over for emergencies and travel. We were hoping to move to England in August/September. I waited until our house was in escrow before I submitted my visa application because once it is approved I only have a 3 month window to enter the country.
In my application I entered my mother-in-law's address as where we plan to stay when we get to England. Now my BRP collection site as been assigned to Preston England. I can't find a way to change it. I could select a different location in England, but I can not find a way to enter a location here in the US. I called the help line listed on the gov.uk website and ended up talking to someone with such a strong Indian accent that I could barely understand him. I think what he said was that the laws have changed last September, and that I need to apply for a 30 day visa, enter England and get my BRP collection done in England, and then process the application while I am in England. That is so contrary to everything I have read about this process! I asked him to talk to my husband (sponsor) and he agreed, but by the time my husband took the phone our call was mysteriously disconnected.
I am going to apply again using a different email account. Before I do, I would appreciate some advice on what I should enter for the accommodations where we intend to live when we get to England. What do I need to enter so I can chose a BRP collection site here in California? I know there is an approved USCIS Service center in the city I live in.
A few more question about what they will consider to meet the financial requirements; Do they count IRA retirement accounts as cash? Should I wait until we have the proceeds of the house in the bank before I submit my application?
I am sorry for the novel but I want to give a picture of our situation. I would appreciate any advice you would be willing to offer.
Cheers!
Old Jun 12th 2016, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settlement Visa - BRP Collection Location

I am sorry but I am very confused! (I am old!)

Have you already submitted your application? If you have or are about to do so, you will be directed to a page to book an appointment to enrol your biometrics in the US. I presume you have already paid for IHS?

Once you have sent off all your documents and your visa is approved, you will have 30 days in which to enter the UK. You will then collect your BRP at a post office near the address you have given for accommodation in the UK.

I am wondering if you are confusing biometrics with BRP.

I am sure you will have read the UKVI documents on how to meet the requirements. I am not sure about IRA retirement accounts. You can use the cash from the sale of your house once you can show the house was in your possession for at least six months before the date of your application.

I hope this clarifies the situation a bit for you.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You pick up the BRP in the UK - based on where you say you will be staying when you arrive in the UK, the location for the pickup will be convenient to your accommodation.

The BRP is obtained when you have been approved for a settlement visa, so why are you saying you are going to apply again and asking about financial requirements?
Old Jun 12th 2016, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

Jen2UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I was confused. I thought this was for my biometric appointment with the USCIS to do an interview and collect my finger prints. I was afraid to select Preston and move on, and thought I was stuck because I couldn't move forward in the online application without selection a BRP location.
I think the stress of selling the house, quitting my job, and not knowing when we can move to England is getting to me. Probably not so sharp these days :-)
I have done a lot of reading up on the requirements I need to meet for the settlement visa, but I haven't read much about the process so thank you for clarifying the BRP for me. I am going to read up more about BRP right now. Do you know of any good sites to check out to help me understand the process a bit better?
How important is it that my husband (US/UK dual national with both current passports) knows his National Health Insurance number? As I said, he has been living in the US since 1980. Do we need to contact NHS to get it, or is his British Passport good enough to prove he is a citizen?

Thank you again for your responses. We really appreciate it!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine that the NHS number matters. He may have never lived in the UK (say he was born in the US with a Brit parent).

They will give him his NHS number when you arrive and register with a GP. Yours too.

Yeah the BRP is like the British 'green card.' My hubby never had one because at that time it was just a sticker in your passport. I expect that if he hadn't become a British citizen, he would have had to get a BRP when he renews his US passport next year.

Good luck with the application.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You are applying for a settlement visa to live with husband in the UK. He is your sponsor

The following website provides information:

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

The following document gives info as to the financial requirements:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

You need to provide relationship, financial and accommodation evidence.

The following summary might help:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isa-in-the-usa