Settlement Visa Approved

Old Sep 7th 2017, 6:46 am
Just Joined

IshanSSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Settlement Visa Approved

Hi, I just got my settlement visa for UK for 1 month and I understand that I have to go to UK to collect my permit from post office before the time expires. I know that much but I have a few question after that part so if anyone knows I'd appreciate your help:

1. I heard the first visa is for 2 and a half year. hows that decided? is it written on the permit I'm gonna collect? or anything else?

2. What's the next step after I get my 2 and half year permit?

3. Does ILR comes after that 2 and half year? what's the process for applying for it?

4. When will I be able to apply for my british passport?

also in all of those processes I can come and go to my home country anytime I like right? and stay for however long I want?

Thank you
Old Sep 7th 2017, 10:22 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settlement Visa Approved

Originally Posted by IshanSSS
Hi, I just got my settlement visa for UK for 1 month and I understand that I have to go to UK to collect my permit from post office before the time expires. I know that much but I have a few question after that part so if anyone knows I'd appreciate your help:

1. I heard the first visa is for 2 and a half year. hows that decided? is it written on the permit I'm gonna collect? or anything else?

2. What's the next step after I get my 2 and half year permit?

3. Does ILR comes after that 2 and half year? what's the process for applying for it?

4. When will I be able to apply for my british passport?

also in all of those processes I can come and go to my home country anytime I like right? and stay for however long I want?

Thank you
1. The expiry date of your initial leave to enter visa will be on your Biometric Residence Permit (this is the card you collect when you arrive in the UK)

2. You will need to apply for a Further Leave to Remain visa no more than 28 days before your current visa expires. The financial, accommodation, relationship and good character requirements are the same as for the visa you've just received. The only difference is that, if you are relying on income to meet the financial requirements, then this time your sponsor (spouse's) income can also be used.

3/4. The Further Leave to Remain visa lasts another 2 and a half years. You can then apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. If that application is successful, you can then apply for British citizenship after a certain period of time (the amount of time is dependent your country of origin). If your application for citizenship is approved, you may then apply to receive your British passport.

No, you can't leave the UK and stay in your home country for however long you want while on a settlement visa. The clue is in the word 'settlement'. You are expected to settle in the UK and live here for the majority of time. There's no problem with visits home, but not for extended periods of time. A very knowledgeable BE poster, Brit in Paris, suggests absences totaling less than 180 days per year, and no more than 90 days in the year before applying for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Sep 7th 2017 at 10:37 am.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for all the information, I would like to ask you a few addition question if you don't mind.

1. so simply put the first visa time will be around 2 and a half year on the BRP then I have to extend it again for another maybe 2 and a half year so thats 5 years and then apply for ILR and before my ILR has been approved I can't leave UK and stay in my home country for however long I want, but I can after I get ILR right? with occasional visit in UK say like once a year?

2. And I can't apply for ILR after I've done my first 2.5 years? do I have to apply for it after I apply for further leave to remain? and at the very end of further leave to remain?

3. Also what kind of test or exam will I be facing to my road to citizenship? I've been in the UK before as a student so I have my NID do i have to apply for new NID? Also any kind of suggestion of what I should do once I get there is also welcome.

Thank you
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

pabonline is an unknown quantity at this point

1. You risk losing ILR if the immigration officer when you re-enter decides that you are permanently settled outside the UK. If you plan to spend extended periods outside the UK, your best option is to first get full citizenship.

2. Correct, the normal route to ILR is after 5 years, you can't apply early.

3. Life in the UK test - https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test

You may be exempt from the English language tests if you studied for an undergraduate degree in the UK.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

What's NID, do you mean National Insurance number?
Old Sep 7th 2017, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IshanSSS
Thanks a lot for all the information, I would like to ask you a few addition question if you don't mind.

1. so simply put the first visa time will be around 2 and a half year on the BRP then I have to extend it again for another maybe 2 and a half year so thats 5 years and then apply for ILR and before my ILR has been approved I can't leave UK and stay in my home country for however long I want, but I can after I get ILR right? with occasional visit in UK say like once a year?
You can leave the UK during your time in the UK with a spouse visa. Long absences from the UK will affect your chances of renewing your visa / getting ILR or British Citizenship.

The Home Office can revoke ILR status from those who live outside of the UK for more than 2 years. If you want the freedom to stay outside of the UK for as long as you want without affecting your right to return to live in the UK at any time, having British Citizenship is the only way.

However, if you want to stay at your home country for as long as you want, why waste the money getting an UK spouse visa at the first place?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pabonline
1. You risk losing ILR if the immigration officer when you re-enter decides that you are permanently settled outside the UK. If you plan to spend extended periods outside the UK, your best option is to first get full citizenship.

You may be exempt from the English language tests if you studied for an undergraduate degree in the UK.
I do have an undergraduate degree from a college in the UK while I was there as a student so that means I maybe exempt from the English Language tests like ESOL and stuff? also the Life in the UK test is compulsory for everyone?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

I do have an undergraduate degree from a college in the UK while I was there as a student so that means I maybe exempt from the English Language tests like ESOL and stuff? also the Life in the UK test is compulsory for everyone?
Old Sep 8th 2017, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
You can leave the UK during your time in the UK with a spouse visa. Long absences from the UK will affect your chances of renewing your visa / getting ILR or British Citizenship.

The Home Office can revoke ILR status from those who live outside of the UK for more than 2 years. If you want the freedom to stay outside of the UK for as long as you want without affecting your right to return to live in the UK at any time, having British Citizenship is the only way.

However, if you want to stay at your home country for as long as you want, why waste the money getting an UK spouse visa at the first place?
I understand I can't have long absences during the first 5 years of initial visa and the further leave to remain but when I'm on ILR how long can I stay in my home country every year without getting in trouble? Also How long till I get british citizenship after I get my ILR?

The reason behind getting spouse visa is my wife studying there and she want me to stay with her until she finishes her degree after that she wants to settle in my home country with me but she still wants to occasionally visit her parents with me in the UK so it's important that even tho I live here in my home country I want to be able to visit UK with my spouse whenever I want.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

What's NID, do you mean National Insurance number?
yep
Old Sep 9th 2017, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3

how is this 2 years counts? How long do I have to wait for citizenship after I get my ILR? whats the safe time limit each year I can spend back in my home country? in all of the 3 conditions, initial 2 and a half year then further leave to remain 2 and a half and and then ILR?

Also the reason behind getting a spouse visa is my wife is studying in UK and she wants me to be there with her until she finishes which s in next 2 years and after than she is willing to settle back in my home country but she wants to visit her parents too once a year and want me to go with her and even tho she wants to settle back in my home country she want me to be able to visit UK at anytime I want.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Life in the UK tests are compulsory for all ahead of ILR.

The English language tests for settlement are IELTS, not ESOL.

It sounds like you are expecting to have settled status in both your home country and the UK simultaneously without following the full path the citizenship in the UK. This will not be possible.

I understand that you already have your settlement visa approved, so that's your next 2 years in UK covered.

You should then disregard the UK spouse visa when your wife settles back with you in your home country.

For future visits to the UK you can either stick to the timescales of a tourist visa (usually up to 30 days) or you can apply for a standard visitor visa which has a validity of up to 10 years but I believe you can only stay for up to 6 months in any 12 month period.

https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa
Old Sep 9th 2017, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

> How long do I have to wait for citizenship after I get my ILR?

You would wait at least another 12 months, therefore the full track to citizenship is currently 6-7 years.