Self Employed Spouse Visa help

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Bobjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Employed Spouse Visa help

I recently have become self-employed. I am a taxi driver.I want to know what the process for a self-employed person like my self is to get a spouse visa? I have no idea on what to do and a solicitor a quoted me £100 an hour which is absolutely ridiculous so I need as much help as you can give me.

I earn £2000 a month gross so that's over the threshold of 18,600 per year. The income can fluctuate +-150.

I have no idea where to start so any help is appreciated. Please note I have just recently become self-employed.

Thank You
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Employed Spouse Visa help

Are you the applicant or the sponsor? Which country or countries are you and your spouse living in? Which passports do you both hold?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you the applicant or the sponsor? Which country or countries are you and your spouse living in? Which passports do you both hold?
I am the sponsor I live in the UK I have a British passport. She lives in Iran. I hold a British passport and an Iranian passport, she only holds an Iranian passport.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kalifonia
I am the sponsor I live in the UK I have a British passport. She lives in Iran. I hold a British passport and an Iranian passport, she only holds an Iranian passport.
That's great, thanks. You mention you only recently became self-employed - were you working for an employer beforehand?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That's great, thanks. You mention you only recently became self-employed - were you working for an employer beforehand?
yes, I was but only for 4 months, I left the job was not for me. in addition I was not earning the threshold amount either.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kalifonia
yes, I was but only for 4 months, I left the job was not for me. in addition I was not earning the threshold amount either.
Okay, so it sounds like only your current self-employment will count towards meeting the financial requirement. You can use self-employment to meet the financial requirements however unlike salaried employment you will need to work for at least a full financial year (April-April) before you can apply. If your income drops below the threshold during this time then you can use an average of the previous two financial years. These options are known as Category F and G respectively.

Another option would be to use savings or proceeds from the sale of property to meet the financial requirements under Category D (cash savings). Unlike income savings can be held by the applicant, the sponsor or jointly. The savings threshold is £62,500. You can also accept a gift from family members in order to make up the shortfall but it must be a gift, not a loan.

Have a read of the Annex FM 1.7 for detailed information.