Right of abode application

Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:54 am
Just Joined

ayobamidele is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Right of abode application

Hello Everyone,

Please kindly inform me on how to apply for certificate of entitlement for a right of Abode in Nigeria.

Is it advisable to apply for my first British passport here or get an ROA first?
I want a process that won't take forever.

Thank you.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right of abode application

That would depend on your circumstances.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
That would depend on your circumstances.
My mother was born in the UK 1962
I was born in 1987 outside the Uk in Nigeria.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ayobamidele
Hello Everyone,

Please kindly inform me on how to apply for certificate of entitlement for a right of Abode in Nigeria.

Is it advisable to apply for my first British passport here or get an ROA first?
I want a process that won't take forever.

Thank you.
The advantage of a British passport over ROA is that the holder can exercise freedom of movement in the EU. However, a first time adult British passport application from Nigeria is likely to take a long time. If the OP is going to apply for his first British passport, please apply ASAP as British passport application fees are going up on 27 March 2018.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
The advantage of a British passport over ROA is that the holder can exercise freedom of movement in the EU. However, a first time adult British passport application from Nigeria is likely to take a long time. If the OP is going to apply for his first British passport, please apply ASAP as British passport application fees are going up on 27 March 2018.
Ok. Thank you for this information. Will they hold my Nigerian passport while they process the British passport. So you advice it's wise I apply for an ROA instead and apply for a British passport in the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

My mother was born in the UK 1962
I was born in 1987 outside the Uk in Nigeria.
Ok. Thank you for this information. Will they hold my Nigerian passport while they process the British passport. So you advice it's wise I apply for an ROA instead and apply for a British passport in the UK.
No, you only need to submit a photocopy of your Nigerian passport.

Again, it will depend on your circumstances. Is it your intention to move to the UK? When do you intend to move? A Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode is likely to be quicker to receive than a British passport but it is a lot more expensive and you don't get the benefits of British citizenship when travelling outside the UK, e.g. freedom of movement in the EU, easy travel to the US, Australia, etc..
Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No, you only need to submit a photocopy of your Nigerian passport.

Again, it will depend on your circumstances. Is it your intention to move to the UK? When do you intend to move? A Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode is likely to be quicker to receive than a British passport but it is a lot more expensive and you don't get the benefits of British citizenship when travelling outside the UK, e.g. freedom of movement in the EU, easy travel to the US, Australia, etc..
Thank you so much for your help.
I do not intend to move immediately not until next year, but would love to apply for an ROA or Passport ASAP. Can I apply for a British passport once I'm in the UK after getting an ROA since it's faster.
I also cannot seem to find a procedure to apply for the certificate of entitlement...
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 9:49 am

Thank you so much for your help.
I do not intend to move immediately not until next year, but would love to apply for an ROA or Passport ASAP. Can I apply for a British passport once I'm in the UK after getting an ROA since it's faster.
I also cannot seem to find a procedure to apply for the certificate of entitlement...
If you are not intending to move to the UK until next year then I would recommend applying for your British passport. Applying for your British passport from within the UK won't be any quicker.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports