returning to England question re: kids

Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Janix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default returning to England question re: kids

hello eveyone,
I've lived in the US for 24 years (!) and am thinking about eventually moving back. I have 2 kids who were born here. I still have my citizenship for the UK. Do you know what the legal requirements are for all of us to return? (no spouse). I have explored this site a bit and read about the job requirement and savings etc. I had no idea

thanks in advance for your help in maybe directing me to the right spot for info.

I'm excited to find this forum!
J
Old Sep 9th 2016, 12:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning to England question re: kids

Welcome to BE.

If you are a British citizen other than by descent...then your children should be Brits too...by descent. As Brits you can move back whenever you wish...there are no restrictions apart from being in possession of British passports.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Plus permission to remove the kids from the US , unless the OP has sole custody.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Plus permission to remove the kids from the US , unless the OP has sole custody.
Good point...depending on their ages of course.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 2:43 am
Just Joined

wow, really??? Yes, I was born in the UK and lived there until I was 29. SO I don't have to have a job lined up nor thousands in the bank at the time of moving back?? My kids are brits too, even though they were born here?

I'm trying to decide what's best for us for the future...I wish someone could tell me the right solution and I could just go do it haha

thank you so much for your replies.
J
Old Sep 9th 2016, 2:45 am
Just Joined

they are 10 and 13, and their father has already given permission so we have the all clear there.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You just need to apply for passports and you are free to move and live in the UK when ever you want.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Since you're all British citizens you only need valid British passports to move back to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As US citizens your children will also need a US passport to enter and exit the United States as this is a US legal requirement.

As your children were born in the US then consular birth registration is also an option.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to share that information with me. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Since you're all British citizens you only need valid British passports to move back to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

As US citizens your children will also need a US passport to enter and exit the United States as this is a US legal requirement.

As your children were born in the US then consular birth registration is also an option.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

In your other post you said that the reason for the move is because SD is so expensive.

Have you considered moving out of San Diego to somewhere less expensive? Just thinking that if you are currently working your work experience is more likely to get you a job in the US than in the UK.

Also moving to the UK will be expensive no matter how cheaply you try to do it once you consider flights, moving of personal items and initial renting in the UK. With no credit history for the UK be prepared to put down up several months rent and deposits for accommodation and rentals.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

thanks for your response. Yes, there is a lot to consider, definitely. the thing is I'm 51 now and growing older in this country scares me. I know there is no quick fix or easy answer, so I'm looking at all my options.
I'm a single mom, a massage therapist...but I have no pension waiting for me - well a small one from when I worked at the university.

I have no clue what's best at this early stage of my exploration but I'm taking into account that my parents will need help and support...my kids would get a good college education, and experience life in the uk...I have not looked into the cost of education there versus here but my feelings are this: San Diego is beautiful, it's perfect for your 20's 30's and 40's but now that I'm thinking about the future I can't see how I can make it when I'm in my mid 60's with rent being as high as it is! no way.
I'm tired of working hard only to make the rent. Maybe I could move to he east coast where it's more affordable (in some areas at least) and closer to the UK so I could fly over when needed.

My mom is going to need me I know that much for sure.
thanks for listening and for feedback!