Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Returning to Canada - Impact on UK Spouse Visa - Advice Needed

Returning to Canada - Impact on UK Spouse Visa - Advice Needed

Old Sep 11th 2017, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to Canada - Impact on UK Spouse Visa - Advice Needed

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I would greatly appreciate your advice/experience on the following. I am a UK national and my wife is a Canadian national. Post marriage, my wife relocated to the UK and we have been living together through the UK spouse visa. We have decided now to relocate to Canada with my wife almost 2 years into her UK spouse visa.

I have my Canadian PR and we have been living together since marriage, which counts towards the Canadian spouse PR requirements which is fantastic. The UK requirements differ and I believe that at the 36 month period my wife will not be able to apply for an extension because we will be in Canada.

What I would like your insights on are the following:

1. Would my wife be able to apply for an extension at the end of the 36 month period or will we have to reapply and go through the whole process from the beginning?
  2. If I have to reapply, will it be like applying the first time with the whole load of required information to be submitted or will it be a much more simple process the second time around?
  3. Does my wife need to inform any government body to inform them of our decision?

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated and thank you all as always for your support throughout.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to Canada - Impact on UK Spouse Visa - Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I would greatly appreciate your advice/experience on the following. I am a UK national and my wife is a Canadian national. Post marriage, my wife relocated to the UK and we have been living together through the UK spouse visa. We have decided now to relocate to Canada with my wife almost 2 years into her UK spouse visa.

I have my Canadian PR and we have been living together since marriage, which counts towards the Canadian spouse PR requirements which is fantastic. The UK requirements differ and I believe that at the 36 month period my wife will not be able to apply for an extension because we will be in Canada.

What I would like your insights on are the following:

1. Would my wife be able to apply for an extension at the end of the 36 month period or will we have to reapply and go through the whole process from the beginning?
  2. If I have to reapply, will it be like applying the first time with the whole load of required information to be submitted or will it be a much more simple process the second time around?
  3. Does my wife need to inform any government body to inform them of our decision?

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated and thank you all as always for your support throughout.
Q1 - I don't think your wife can apply for an UK spouse visa extension overseas. If she wants to return and live in the UK with you as a spouse, she will need to apply for her spouse visa in Canada again meeting whatever conditions the Home Office sets out at the time of application.

Q2 - Yes - you will need to apply like any other people. No short cuts.

Q3 - No
Old Sep 21st 2017, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Rainmaker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to Canada - Impact on UK Spouse Visa - Advice Needed

Originally Posted by HKG3
Q1 - I don't think your wife can apply for an UK spouse visa extension overseas. If she wants to return and live in the UK with you as a spouse, she will need to apply for her spouse visa in Canada again meeting whatever conditions the Home Office sets out at the time of application.

Q2 - Yes - you will need to apply like any other people. No short cuts.

Q3 - No
Thanks HKG3 - greatly appreciate your insight.