Question on what to apply for?

Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

MBurchill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on what to apply for?

Hi everyone,

I need a little advice. I was born in Glasgow, Scotland in the mid-1960's and immigrated to the United States with my family. I'm a US citizen now (I became one when my parents became US citizens in the late-1970's, and I was still a minor).

I suppose by definition (I was born in the UK to parents who were at the time British citizens themselves), I am a British citizen still, however I have no documentation beyond a very general and "un-official" looking birth certificate from the hospital in Glasgow.

My question is this: Do I need to apply for some form of citizenship?
Do I need to register as a citizen? ...Or as I was born in the UK, will there be a record somewhere inside the bowels of the British government of me and my status as a British citizen? Here in the US we use Social Security numbers, but I don't have any such identification number for the UK.

In order to apply for a British passport, and have dual citizenship - I assume I need to apply for some form of proof of citizenship?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really sure where to start as I was born in the UK, but have lived most of my life in the USA.

Thank you!

Michael
Old Oct 13th 2017, 10:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on what to apply for?

Hello Michael,

Very simply you were born a British citizen and remain one. That you emigrated at a young age to the US is immaterial. All you need is your full British birth certificate.

As you were born in Glasgow you will need to visit https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ to order a certified copy of your birth certificate. Your middle name suggests you also have Spanish heritage, through your mother perhaps?