Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Overseas 1st time Passport Application Timeline Vs. Overseas Right of Abode timeline

Overseas 1st time Passport Application Timeline Vs. Overseas Right of Abode timeline

Old Jan 28th 2015, 9:42 am
Just Joined

NaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud of
Default Overseas 1st time Passport Application Timeline Vs. Overseas Right of Abode timeline

Hello All,

i need some advice from you. i am nigerian with a 4 months old boy. i have also got a spouse visa and my husband is british. i had my baby in nigeria so that i could get the support of family because this is my first baby.

i am thinking of applying for Right of Abode for my baby rather than British passport. 7-9 months wait for British passport is scary...does anyone have experience of ROA, what is the timeline when applying from outside UK (Nigeria - high risk country) and how easy is it to switch to british passport once in the uk?

finally, is ETD available to 1st time british passport applicants and spouse visa holders?

i have been trying to contact the Nigeria British High Commission to no avail....

please help...
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

NaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud ofNaijaBrit has much to be proud of
Default Re: Overseas 1st time Passport Application Timeline Vs. Overseas Right of Abode timel

Hello,

i just want to give back to the forum based on my experience with UK Immigration.

I decided against applying for 1st time overseas passport for my son, I applied for Right of Abode.

Below is my timeline applying for Right of Abode from Nigeria

1. Applied 12th Feb
2. Application received by UK Visas 13th Feb
3. Received an 'unable to process application within the specified timeline' email from UK Visas on 2nd March
4. Received a 'decision made' email on 12th March
5. Collected passport 17th March

I hope it helps someone out there
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas 1st time Passport Application Timeline Vs. Overseas Right of Abode timel

That's very interesting and somewhat surprising to know, thank you. I'd be interested to see how long his passport takes to be issued from within the UK once you return.
Old Mar 31st 2015, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

I will put up my timeline when i apply for his passport in the UK
Old Mar 31st 2015, 11:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NaijaBrit
I will put up my timeline when i apply for his passport in the UK
Much obliged.
Old Jun 21st 2015, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

final updates

so when i got to uk, i applied for my son's passport. it took them 3 weeks to process. i did the post office check and send service. i applied with the least amount of supporting documents. cheers
Old Jun 21st 2015, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I have used the Post Office check system. Seems the best approach if it is open to you.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Lagos2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=NaijaBrit;11547625]Hello All,

i need some advice from you. i am nigerian with a 4 months old boy. i have also got a spouse visa and my husband is british. i had my baby in nigeria so that i could get the support of family because this is my first baby.

i am thinking of applying for Right of Abode for my baby rather than British passport. 7-9 months wait for British passport is scary...does anyone have experience of ROA, what is the timeline when applying from outside UK (Nigeria - high risk country) and how easy is it to switch to british passport once in the uk?

finally, is ETD available to 1st time british passport applicants and spouse visa holders?

i have been trying to contact the Nigeria British High Commission to no avail....

please help...[/QUOTE

We are in the same situation so this thread is very useful. Was the right to abide sufficient for your baby to travel or did you accompany it with Nigerian passport? Thank you
Old Aug 30th 2015, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Lagos2014;11736482]
Originally Posted by NaijaBrit
Hello All,

please help...[/QUOTE

We are in the same situation so this thread is very useful. Was the right to abide sufficient for your baby to travel or did you accompany it with Nigerian passport? Thank you
Also did you apply online? What supporting documents did you have to provide?
Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

yes i applied online via the below link

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome

i have also attached some documents to help with the application
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
right-abode.pdf (72.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: pdf
Guide_ROA_v0_4_20150107.pdf (186.6 KB, 359 views)
Old Aug 31st 2015, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for replying and the attached documents. We were on the verge of despair before we found your thread.

Did you have to visit a visa office in Nigeria to complete your application/ submit your supporting documents?
Old Oct 6th 2015, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Hi all,

Three weeks ago we applied online for the certificate of right to abode and were successful. The process was as follows:

1. Applied for daughters Nigerian passport at Ikoyi passport office

2. Applied online for her certificate of right to abode: https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/home/welcome
It was over $400!

3. Attended Visa Office in Victoria Island with print out of the application form and supporting documentation. They dont tell you which documents to bring so we took everything e.g. entire families birth certificates, UK passports, marriage certificate, parental letter of consent etc They made copies of all our documents and returned most of the originals on the same day EXCEPT for the birth certificates.

4. We tracked our application online and after 3 weeks were told to collect her passport

5. Collected her passport at the Victoria Island Visa Office and our original documents were returned to us with her passport which contained the visa stamp. Voila!

We will apply for her British Passport when we arrive in the UK. Hope this info helps someone. Much quicker than applying for a UK passport from Nigeria as this would involve us sending original passports and other documents to the UK and a timescale of up to 9 months.