Non EU defacto partner visa

Old May 2nd 2016, 10:11 am
Just Joined

SMRL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non EU defacto partner visa

Hi,

I posted in the French thread and was advised to try this section for advice/info

I am a UK citizen currently living in Australia as a permanent resident. My girlfriend is from America.

We have been looking into the prospect of living/working in France for a few years and have been researching visa options. As an EU citizen (depending on the imminent UK referendum) I believe I am able to live and work in France without any issues; however we've been having difficulty working out what (if any) visa options she may have

We were looking at options via either the UK or France that would enable her to live and work in France due to being in a long standing relationship with me, but I can't seem to find any specifics around 'unmarried' partners (or concubine as I've been advised it is understood in France)

I would be grateful if anyone had any info/could point me in the right direction for further reading, particularly as to whether there are any options in France, or via the UK initially

Many thanks
Old May 2nd 2016, 4:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non EU defacto partner visa

Originally Posted by SMRL
Hi,

I posted in the French thread and was advised to try this section for advice/info

I am a UK citizen currently living in Australia as a permanent resident. My girlfriend is from America.

We have been looking into the prospect of living/working in France for a few years and have been researching visa options. As an EU citizen (depending on the imminent UK referendum) I believe I am able to live and work in France without any issues; however we've been having difficulty working out what (if any) visa options she may have

We were looking at options via either the UK or France that would enable her to live and work in France due to being in a long standing relationship with me, but I can't seem to find any specifics around 'unmarried' partners (or concubine as I've been advised it is understood in France)

I would be grateful if anyone had any info/could point me in the right direction for further reading, particularly as to whether there are any options in France, or via the UK initially

Many thanks
Sorry, but there's been a slight misunderstanding. You didn't mention "in France" (high-lighted in red above) in your other thread. I understood that your options were living and working either in the UK or France, and I suggested posting in the MBTTUK section for the UK option.
Not sure, therefore, whether there's any point in passing via the UK (Visa of some sort for your gf) if you intend to live and work in France. I wouldn't think a Visa for the UK would be valid in France, and she would need a Visa from the French Consulate.
Hopefully the knowledgeable members will come along with advice, but it wouldn't do any harm if your gf enquires at the relevant Consulates.
Sorry if I've confused matters!